General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Event Order and Times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-21 4:19 PM

Augusta, GA
Subject: Event Order and Times
What is typically the order of events for a triathlon. I've seen several that start with a swim. Is this pretty normal? Also, for a beginner...what sort of times should I be aiming for...specifically for a sprint triathlon. I know it will be different for everyone...and for every fitness level, I'd just like to know some general times--to give me a bit of a goal to head for.

I love the swim portion...mainly, I suppose because the water makes me feel powerful, strong and beautiful...the run is a different story. I feel a bit like a fish out of water. I need a volunteer to run behind me cracking a whip or something. Honestly, though...training is coming along pretty well...but it takes me FOREVER to even finish two miles. How can I get faster? On my website I've added some sprint workouts to the training schedule...any other ideas?

Thanks for all your help!

Ruby

2003-09-21 4:58 PM
in reply to: #910

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: nobody wants to swim last

oh!  the death rate.  u would need tri insurance.  ~100% of the time it's swim, bike then run.

For a typical sprint triathlon (~0.5mile swim, 12mile bike, 3mile run), here are some results of the best and worst times from ages 15 to 70:

Swim:  10-35min    Bike:  30-55min    Run: 18-45min  Total: 55-135min

just make sure there r not any cutoff times for the swim or the others.  if there is, train harder! 

if u have had time to build up a decent base ~few months, then speed work is the way to go - specifically interval training.  here is a primer at Speed, Strength and Power Training for the Distance athlete  i don't interval train yet.  maybe others can offer help.

2003-09-21 5:34 PM
in reply to: #910

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Event Order and Times
The only time I have ever seen a swim last was when it was a large event with a pool swim. By doing the swim last it spreads the field out so the swim was manageable. This happens on rare occasions, but if it is an open water swim, you can bet on it being first out of the blocks.

Still Tri'n
Michael
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Event Order and Times Rss Feed