Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What evolution debate? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2005-08-05 1:49 PM
in reply to: #217720

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: What evolution debate?

DrChile - 2005-08-05 1:47 PM 3rd post and already into evolution on a tri board... oh well --------------------------------------------- These points have been made above: Evolution is a fact, the starting point is theorized. You can't argue that change takes place over time. In just the last hundred years, humans on average are something like 6 inches taller. Bacteria change at an even higher rate: they develop antibiotic-resistant strains as a survival strategy. There is empirical evidence for evolution that is subject to the scientific method --------------------------------------------------- Micro-evolution. yes. MAcro-evolution - though, i'd like more "facts" on macro-evolution - ie species evolving into another species... Thanks T

Welcome annd mea culpa.

Are you one of the 87%ers?

2005-08-05 1:50 PM
in reply to: #217720

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
DrChile - 2005-08-05 12:47 PM3rd post and already into evolution on a tri board... oh well---------------------------------------------These points have been made above:Evolution is a fact, the starting point is theorized. You can't argue that change takes place over time. In just the last hundred years, humans on average are something like 6 inches taller. Bacteria change at an even higher rate: they develop antibiotic-resistant strains as a survival strategy.There is empirical evidence for evolution that is subject to the scientific method---------------------------------------------------Micro-evolution. yes. MAcro-evolution - though, i'd like more "facts" on macro-evolution - ie species evolving into another species...ThanksT

The fossil record?

The Galapogos islands?

-C
2005-08-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #217379

New user

Cincinnati OH
1. yeah... but dont tell... (87%)

2. Explain the gaps in the fossil record...

\thanks

T

PS - references to the watson and crick stealing theory? you have a book/source that I could read? thanks again.
2005-08-05 1:54 PM
in reply to: #217727

User image

Giver

DrChile - 2005-08-05 1:53 PM 1 2. Explain the gaps in the fossil record... \

We haven't dug everything up yet?

2005-08-05 1:57 PM

New user

Cincinnati OH
if so... then one cant call macro-evolution a "fact" - saying one doesnt have the complete evidence to support it doesnt count

get my drift?

How do you spell booger? boogar? boogere (french?)

T
2005-08-05 2:00 PM
in reply to: #217734

User image

Giver

DrChile - 2005-08-05 1:57 PM if so... then one cant call macro-evolution a "fact" - saying one doesnt have the complete evidence to support it doesnt count get my drift? How do you spell booger? boogar? boogere (french?) T

Oh I get it. But there is fossil evidence for macroevolution, there just isn't complete evidence that tells the whole story.

http://world.altavista.com/tr

2005-08-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: #217734

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
DrChile - 2005-08-05 12:57 PMif so... then one cant call macro-evolution a "fact" - saying one doesnt have the complete evidence to support it doesnt count get my drift?How do you spell booger? boogar? boogere (french?)T

If you have 4999 piceces of a 5000 piece puzzle, you can still tell what the picture of the puzzle is.  Note, I'm not claiming that we have uncovered that ratio of the fossil record.

But we do have:

Ardipithicus ramidus 5 to 4 million years ago
Australopithecus anamensis 4.2 to 3.9 million years ago
Australopithecus afarensis 4 to 2.7 million years ago
Australopithecus africanus 3 to 2 million years ago
Australopithecus robustus 2.2 to 1.6 million years ago
Homo habilis 2.2 to 1.6 million years ago
Homo erectus 2.0 to 0.4 million years ago
Homo sapiens archaic 400 to 200 thousand years ago
Homo sapiens neandertalensis 200 to 30 thousand years ago
Homo sapiens sapiens

The fossil records of which show a steady progression ( evolution if you will ) towards humans as we exist today.

If we were created by an ID, how do you explain the fossil record?  A big practical joke so that the ID can sit back and laugh at us as we debate it on an internet website? 

-C
2005-08-05 2:25 PM
in reply to: #217742

User image

Expert
Montreal
coredump - 2005-08-05 2:05 PM

DrChile - 2005-08-05 12:57 PMif so... then one cant call macro-evolution a "fact" - saying one doesnt have the complete evidence to support it doesnt count get my drift?How do you spell booger? boogar? boogere (french?)T

If you have 4999 piceces of a 5000 piece puzzle, you can still tell what the picture of the puzzle is. Note, I'm not claiming that we have uncovered that ratio of the fossil record.

But we do have:

Ardipithicus ramidus 5 to 4 million years ago
Australopithecus anamensis 4.2 to 3.9 million years ago
Australopithecus afarensis 4 to 2.7 million years ago
Australopithecus africanus 3 to 2 million years ago
Australopithecus robustus 2.2 to 1.6 million years ago
Homo habilis 2.2 to 1.6 million years ago
Homo erectus 2.0 to 0.4 million years ago
Homo sapiens archaic 400 to 200 thousand years ago
Homo sapiens neandertalensis 200 to 30 thousand years ago
Homo sapiens sapiens

The fossil records of which show a steady progression ( evolution if you will ) towards humans as we exist today.

If we were created by an ID, how do you explain the fossil record? A big practical joke so that the ID can sit back and laugh at us as we debate it on an internet website?

-C

I was cashing out but thought I would put in 2 cents here - Homo Neandertalensis should be cut out of this list. The most recent genetic analysis show that Neanderthal was a separate species. Google "homo neanderthalensis mitochondrial DNA" if you want more on this. Facinating stuff really.

Ok I really am out of it now.
2005-08-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: #217742

New user

Cincinnati OH
Stephen J Gould:
"The history of most fossil species includes two features particularly inconsistent with gradualism [gradual evolution from one species to another]:

"[1] Stasis. Most species exhibit no directional [evolutionary] change during their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking pretty much the same as when they disappear; morphological [anatomical or structural] change is usually limited and directionless.

"[2] Sudden appearance. In any local area, a species does not arise gradually by the steady transformation of its ancestors: it appears all at once and 'fully formed'" (Gould, "Evolution's Erratic Pace," Natural History, May 1977, pp. 13-14).
-----------------------------------
Darwin himself was unsure of the fossil record supporting his theory:
". . . Why, if species have descended from other species by fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms? . . . Why do we not find them imbedded in countless numbers in the crust of the earth?" (Origin of Species, 1958 Masterpieces of Science edition, pp. 136-137).

". . . The number of intermediate varieties, which have formerly existed, [must] be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and serious objection which can be urged against the theory [of evolution]" (Darwin, pp. 260-261).

-------------------------------------
Francis Hitching, member of the Royal Archaeological Institute, the Prehistoric Society and the Society for Physical Research, sees issues with using the fossil record to support evolution.

"There are about 250,000 different species of fossil plants and animals in the world's museums. This compares with about 1.5 million species known to be alive on Earth today. Given the known rates of evolutionary turnover, it has been estimated that at least 100 times more fossil species have lived than have been discovered . . . But the curious thing is that there is a consistency about the fossil gaps: the fossils go missing in all the important places."

"When you look for links between major groups of animals, they simply aren't there; at least, not in enough numbers to put their status beyond doubt. Either they don't exist at all, or they are so rare that endless argument goes on about whether a particular fossil is, or isn't, or might be, transitional between this group and that."
------------------------------------

Like I said (or meant to say)... I believe in micro-evolution - i can reproduce data to support that. It's just using data such as the fossil record to support macro-evolution/gradualism that I am unsure of.

Thanks for your responses...

T

2005-08-05 2:36 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Sorry, that list is not intended as a sequential list of the evolution of humans, but a full ( mostly ) of the fossil record that directly relates to humans.

There are some evolutionary "dead-ends" in there, as well as overlaps between difference species.

-C
2005-08-05 2:47 PM
in reply to: #217769

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Since you brought up Gould. 

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_fact-and-theory.html

He covers your specifc "lack of transitional evidence in there".  And it's not lacking, there *are* transitional species that show evolution/morphology over time.

A specific cite for those who don't care to read the entire piece:

"The third argument is more direct: transitions are often found in the fossil record. Preserved transitions are not common—and should not be, according to our understanding of evolution (see next section) but they are not entirely wanting, as creationists often claim. The lower jaw of reptiles contains several bones, that of mammals only one. The non-mammalian jawbones are reduced, step by step, in mammalian ancestors until they become tiny nubbins located at the back of the jaw. The "hammer" and "anvil" bones of the mammalian ear are descendants of these nubbins. How could such a transition be accomplished? the creationists ask. Surely a bone is either entirely in the jaw or in the ear. Yet paleontologists have discovered two transitional lineages of therapsids (the so-called mammal-like reptiles) with a double jaw joint—one composed of the old quadrate and articular bones (soon to become the hammer and anvil), the other of the squamosal and dentary bones (as in modern mammals). For that matter, what better transitional form could we expect to find than the oldest human, Australopithecus afarensis, with its apelike palate, its human upright stance, and a cranial capacity larger than any ape’s of the same body size but a full 1,000 cubic centimeters below ours? If God made each of the half-dozen human species discovered in ancient rocks, why did he create in an unbroken temporal sequence of progressively more modern features—increasing cranial capacity, reduced face and teeth, larder body size? Did he create to mimic evolution and test our faith thereby?"

-C

2005-08-05 2:53 PM
in reply to: #217769

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

You make some good points, but I would pose this to any who believe in creationism rather than evolution - At the very least there is evidence that evolution exists, where as with creationism, and religion in general, there is a fictional book that has been compiled, edited, added to and subtracted from for 2000 years, and who's sole answer to questions of validity is the insane statement of "faith."

To teach this as science is preposterous.

2005-08-05 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,

The following statements are copied from the Discovery Institute (www.discovery.org)

1. What is the theory of intelligent design?

The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

2. Is intelligent design theory incompatible with evolution?

It depends on what one means by the word "evolution." If one simply means "change over time," or even that living things are related by common ancestry, then there is no inherent conflict between evolutionary theory and intelligent design theory. However, the dominant theory of evolution today is neo-Darwinism, which contends that evolution is driven by natural selection acting on random mutations, an unpredictable and purposeless process that "has no discernable direction or goal, including survival of a species." (NABT Statement on Teaching Evolution). It is this specific claim made by neo-Darwinism that intelligent design theory directly challenges.

3. Is intelligent design based on the Bible?

No. The intellectual roots of intelligent design theory are varied. Plato and Aristotle both articulated early versions of design theory, as did virtually all of the founders of modern science. Indeed, most scientists until the latter part of the nineteenth century accepted some form of intelligent design. The scientific community largely rejected design in the early twentieth century after neo-Darwinism claimed to be able to explain the emergence of biological complexity through the unintelligent process of natural selection acting on random mutations. During the past decade, however, new research and discoveries in such fields as physics, cosmology, biochemistry, genetics, and paleontology have caused a growing number of scientists and science theorists to question neo-Darwinism and propose design as the best explanation for the existence of specified complexity in the natural world.

4. Is intelligent design theory the same as creationism?

No. Intelligent design theory is simply an effort to empirically detect whether the "apparent design" in nature acknowledged by virtually all biologists is genuine design (the product of an intelligent cause) or is simply the product of an undirected process such as natural selection acting on random variations. Creationism is focused on defending a literal reading of the Genesis account, usually including the creation of the earth by the Biblical God a few thousand years ago. Unlike creationism, the scientific theory of intelligent design is agnostic regarding the source of design and has no commitment to defending Genesis, the Bible or any other sacred text. Honest critics of intelligent design acknowledge the difference between intelligent design and creationism. University of Wisconsin historian of science Ronald Numbers is critical of intelligent design, yet according to the Associated Press, he "agrees the creationist label is inaccurate when it comes to the ID [intelligent design] movement." Why, then, do some Darwinists keep trying to conflate intelligent design with creationism? According to Dr. Numbers, it is because they think such claims are "the easiest way to discredit intelligent design." In other words, the charge that intelligent design is "creationism" is a rhetorical strategy on the part of Darwinists who wish to delegitimize design theory without actually addressing the merits of its case.

I post this only to clarify the difference between Intelligent Design Theory and Creationism.  Carry on.

2005-08-05 3:11 PM
in reply to: #217774

New user

Cincinnati OH
Hitching's statement i posted:
"When you look for links between major groups of animals, they simply aren't there; at least, not in enough numbers to put their status beyond doubt..."

"He covers your specifc "lack of transitional evidence in there"."

Disagree. The paragraph you quoted is the articles only "coverage" of lack of transitional evidence... and I wont get started on punctuated equil... i just wont... nor will i discuss his defintion of "fact"...

------

last comment
That fictional book - if you are referring to the Bible you arent quite right...

Thanks for good discussion...

T
2005-08-05 3:24 PM
in reply to: #217804

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
DrChile - 2005-08-05 2:11 PMHitching's statement i posted:"When you look for links between major groups of animals, they simply aren't there; at least, not in enough numbers to put their status beyond doubt...""He covers your specifc "lack of transitional evidence in there"."Disagree. The paragraph you quoted is the articles only "coverage" of lack of transitional evidence... and I wont get started on punctuated equil... i just wont... nor will i discuss his defintion of "fact"...------ last commentThat fictional book - if you are referring to the Bible you arent quite right...Thanks for good discussion...T

So you disagree that there is fossil evidence to support transition?

Punctuated Equilibrim has nothing to do with evolution / ID, merely it suggests that the transitions between species happens in a compressed timeframe, rather than as a gradual ongoing continuous process.

In fact, PE could well be the reason why there is not as much transitional evidence in the fossil record, since circumstances have to be setup just right in order for an organism's remains to be preserved instead of decomposing.

For support of PE, see the Gypsy moth in England.  PE is in essence, the "micro-evolution" that you seem to agree with. 

I forgot what your original point was, can you restate it?

-C
2005-08-05 3:28 PM
in reply to: #217794

User image

Buttercup
harmony - 2005-08-05 3:06 PM

The following statements are copied from the Discovery Institute (www.discovery.org)

I think it's worth quoting from another Discovery Institute paper, "The Wedge Project":

"The social consequences of materialism have been devastating. As symptoms, those consequences are certainly worth treating. However, we are convinced that in order to defeat materialism, we must cut it off at its source. That source is scientific materialism. This is precisely our strategy. If we view the predominant materialistic science as a giant tree, our strategy is intended to function as a "wedge" that, while relatively small, can split the trunk when applied at its weakest points. The very beginning of this strategy, the "thin edge of the wedge," was Phillip Johnson's critique of Darwinism begun in 1991 in Darwinism on Trial, and continued in Reason in the Balance and Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds. Michael Behe's highly successful Darwin's Black Box followed Johnson's work. We are building on this momentum, broadening the wedge with a positive scientific alternative to materialistic scientific theories, which has come to be called the theory of intelligent design (ID). Design theory promises to reverse the stifling dominance of the materialist worldview, and to replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions

2005-08-05 3:31 PM
in reply to: #217827

User image

Giver
Renee - 2005-08-05 3:28 PM
harmony - 2005-08-05 3:06 PM

I think it's worth quoting from another Discovery Institute paper, "The Wedge Project":

"The social consequences of materialism have been devastating. As symptoms, those consequences are certainly worth treating. However, we are convinced that in order to defeat materialism, we must cut it off at its source. That source is scientific materialism. This is precisely our strategy. If we view the predominant materialistic science as a giant tree, our strategy is intended to function as a "wedge" that, while relatively small, can split the trunk when applied at its weakest points. The very beginning of this strategy, the "thin edge of the wedge," was Phillip Johnson's critique of Darwinism begun in 1991 in Darwinism on Trial, and continued in Reason in the Balance and Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds. Michael Behe's highly successful Darwin's Black Box followed Johnson's work. We are building on this momentum, broadening the wedge with a positive scientific alternative to materialistic scientific theories, which has come to be called the theory of intelligent design (ID). Design theory promises to reverse the stifling dominance of the materialist worldview, and to replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions

That sounds pretty militant. Also, it seems to be a case of deciding an outcome and then fixing the "evidence" to support that desired outcome.

2005-08-05 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
I'm still waiting for my dollar...
2005-08-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: #217837

User image

Buttercup

More Discovery Institute quotes:

Two years ago, at a National Religious Broadcasters meeting, the Discovery Institute's Dembski framed the ID movement in the context of Christian apologetics, a theological defense of the authority of Christianity.

"The job of apologetics is to clear the ground, to clear obstacles that prevent people from coming to the knowledge of Christ," Dembski said. "And if there's anything that I think has blocked the growth of Christ [and] the free reign of the Spirit and people accepting the Scripture and Jesus Christ, it is the Darwinian naturalistic view.... It's important that we understand the world. God has created it; Jesus is incarnate in the world."

(quote from au.org Americans United for Separation of Church and State)

Edited by Renee 2005-08-05 3:54 PM
2005-08-05 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
zzzzzzzz...

2005-08-05 4:14 PM
in reply to: #217880

User image

Buttercup

Ashby Camp, writing for the Creation Research Society’s Creation Matters:

“If the science establishment can be forced to acknowledge the scientific case for intelligent design, theism will become part of the ‘post-Christian’ cultural air. . . . If ID is successful in changing the culture, the presumption against the supernatural will be eliminated.”

They don't just want to change the textbooks, they want to change the collective worldview. Bless their hearts.

Edited by Renee 2005-08-05 4:20 PM

2005-08-05 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Denver
From the wire:

Republican Sen. Rick Santorum, a possible 2008 presidential contender who faces a tough re-election fight next year in Pennsylvania, said intelligent design, which is backed by many religious conservatives, lacked scientific credibility and should not be taught in science classes.

Bush told reporters from Texas on Monday that "both sides" in the debate over intelligent design and evolution should be taught in schools "so people can understand what the debate is about."

"I think I would probably tailor that a little more than what the president has suggested," Santorum, the third-ranking Republican member of the U.S. Senate, told National Public Radio. "I'm not comfortable with intelligent design being taught in the science classroom."

SCIENCE CURRICULUM

Critics, including many science teachers, say intelligent design cannot be scientifically tested and has no place in a science curriculum.

Santorum sided in part with intelligent-design proponents in saying that there were gaps in the theory of evolution.

"What we should be teaching are the problems and holes -- and I think there are legitimate problems and holes -- in the theory of evolution. What we need to do is to present those fairly, from a scientific point of view," he said in the interview.

"As far as intelligent design is concerned, I really don't believe it has risen to the level of a scientific theory at this point that we would want to teach it alongside of evolution."

2005-08-05 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,

This is pretty funny.  It is a letter written to the Kansas School Board.

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

2005-08-05 5:51 PM
in reply to: #217837

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
joeinco - 2005-08-05 4:37 PM

I'm still waiting for my dollar...

You did win it, but it is in my tri shorts... the ones I just used, so it is a little damp. I'll overnight it to ya!
2005-08-05 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Uh yeah, in my mind it is more difficult to believe in evolution than creation. Your telling me that from this primordial ooze, a single worm crawled out. Then somehow, another one did as well? Oh wait were they asexual? A stretch I think. A supreme being created the universe? Actually, that sounds alot more likely to me. If evolution is true I have absolutly nothing to loose by believing everything the bible says is true. The other way around though (without faith) you may have an eternity to pay for it. Evolution is like the million monkey typewriter theory to me. Also, someone said earlier the bible is fictitious......not likely. FIRE AWAY...
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What evolution debate? Rss Feed  

of 6