of 6

2005-08-05 6:15 PM
in reply to: #217379

User image

Veteran
San mateo
Subject: RE: What evolution debate?
What!!!!

I also come from a christian background, in fact I AM a christian....Cervelop3, I also believe that MY GOD has the power to create this world in a split second if HE wanted to. I also have a background in Biology (have a BS and worked in research for a few years) and have run into numerous people who are strongly for evolution. I, for one, believe in creation (the world is too complex, the cell itself is too complex, we can't make life happen in a tube, whatever...it's what I believe with ALL MY HEART)...But honestly...who cares? I have yet to understand what is the POINT of debating sooo much on this point! I say potato you say potatoe....

2005-08-05 8:35 PM
in reply to: #217979

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
nj newbie! - 2005-08-05 7:15 PM

What!!!!

I also come from a christian background, in fact I AM a christian....Cervelop3, I also believe that MY GOD has the power to create this world in a split second if HE wanted to. I also have a background in Biology (have a BS and worked in research for a few years) and have run into numerous people who are strongly for evolution. I, for one, believe in creation (the world is too complex, the cell itself is too complex, we can't make life happen in a tube, whatever...it's what I believe with ALL MY HEART)...But honestly...who cares? I have yet to understand what is the POINT of debating sooo much on this point! I say potato you say potatoe....

(bunnypancake.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bunnypancake.jpg (41KB - 25 downloads)
2005-08-05 8:46 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

.....and those fish fossils in the mountains came from flying fish crashing into the rocks. 

Love the bunny.

Someone tell me -  people who believe in creationism believe that the earth is just a few thousand years old?

Edited by bootygirl 2005-08-05 8:49 PM
2005-08-05 9:26 PM

User image

Master
Denver
I have absolutely no problem with creationism if that is what you believe. I just don't want the government teaching religion to my kids. That is what the parents are for and it should be my choice which, if any, religion they will be taught. I think the critical difference is that creationism/ID is a belief - it cannot be proven or disproven, whereas evolution is science - it can be tested and proven/disproven. At this point mainstream science has tested evolution and has overwhelmingly found it to be fact (yes there are parts that are not completely understood, and I am fine with that being taught). When you can say the same about creationism, that is has been tested and found to be fact by mainstream science, then it will belong in a scientific classroom, but until then I prefer to teach religion my my kids, not have the state do it.
2005-08-05 9:46 PM
in reply to: #218073

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
drewb8 - 2005-08-05 7:26 PM

I have absolutely no problem with creationism if that is what you believe. I just don't want the government teaching religion to my kids. That is what the parents are for and it should be my choice which, if any, religion they will be taught. I think the critical difference is that creationism/ID is a belief - it cannot be proven or disproven, whereas evolution is science - it can be tested and proven/disproven. At this point mainstream science has tested evolution and has overwhelmingly found it to be fact (yes there are parts that are not completely understood, and I am fine with that being taught). When you can say the same about creationism, that is has been tested and found to be fact by mainstream science, then it will belong in a scientific classroom, but until then I prefer to teach religion my my kids, not
have the state do it.

OK but flip the script. If I go through my parenthood teaching my child about God, and how he created this beautiful planet. How all the people on this Earth are his children. How much he loves us. Then here comes the school system deciding to put out infomation labeled as science that flys in the face of everything I ever said to them. Same thing on this side of the fence right?
I don't want to argue with you but evolution is far from fact. Also many things in the Bible are actual accounts of real life events. Bottom line is this debate could go on forever and we are just wasting our time here. But yes, I do not think school is the place for religion unless it is a religious school. Um, did I just contradict myself????!?!?!?!?! I had a nice run today!
2005-08-05 11:58 PM
in reply to: #218081

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Det - 2005-08-05 10:46 PM I do not think school is the place for religion unless it is a religious school

The problem is that there is very large, well organized, well funded effort to do just that. As the Discovery Institute document that Renee quoted, the "Intelligent Design" argument is intended to be the thin end of the wedge. There is a very real effort being made to turn the US into a theocracy.

The folks who don't believe this remind me of the people who didn't believe me when I told them about the agenda of the Committee for a New American Century. Six years later, that agenda is our foreign policy.

I do not pay taxes to fund the teaching of a specific theology to my, or any other child. That's for Ayatollahs. Not Americans.

Edited by marmadaddy 2005-08-06 12:20 AM

2005-08-06 9:23 AM
in reply to: #217972

User image

Austin, TX

Det - 2005-08-05 5:02 PM Uh yeah, in my mind it is more difficult to believe in evolution than creation. Your telling me that from this primordial ooze, a single worm crawled out.

Evolution has nothing to do with the spontaneous origin of life.  Evolution is the process of genetic changes over time.

Then somehow, another one did as well? Oh wait were they asexual?

Yes, most worms are or can reproduce asexually.  This is not unheard of in biology.  In fact some upper level organsims can do this as well.  Some populations od female whiptail lizards (Cnemidophorous spp.) are known to self fertilze their eggs producing female offspring.  I have more of a problem with the required inbreeding of starting a human population from an Adam and Eve.

A stretch I think. A supreme being created the universe? Actually, that sounds alot more likely to me. If evolution is true I have absolutly nothing to loose by believing everything the bible says is true.

You've got a lot to lose.  Modern medicines would not be possible without the understanding of evolutionary priniciples, the mapping of the human genome and the inevitable treasure of genetically engineered medicines to treat diseases we cannot fight would be a waste of time, the fields of biology, geology, paleontology, archaeology, etc.and the benefits to society they have provided would fail to advance so that we can follow the dogmatic beliefs that do not stand up to scientific scrutiny.  However, if I was to follow the Bible, I would try to keep all my wives, slaves, and servants happy by treating them very kindly.

The other way around though (without faith) you may have an eternity to pay for it. Evolution is like the million monkey typewriter theory to me. Also, someone said earlier the bible is fictitious......not likely. FIRE AWAY...

OK but flip the script. If I go through my parenthood teaching my child about God, and how he created this beautiful planet. How all the people on this Earth are his children. How much he loves us. Then here comes the school system deciding to put out infomation labeled as science that flys in the face of everything I ever said to them. Same thing on this side of the fence right?

If I go through life teaching my kids that black is red and red is yellow because that is what I believe, then it is my job to screw my kids up and reinforce it at home because it is my belief.  The school is there to teach knowledge, not beliefs.  Scientific knowledge supports evolutionary principles.  I for one am glad that the schools teach science instead of trying to instill jihad, transcendental meditation, or creationism.

I don't want to argue with you but evolution is far from fact.

An educated scientific community disagrees with you.

Also many things in the Bible are actual accounts of real life events.

And my many wives, slaves, servants, and sacrificed livestock believe we should follow all the teachings which leave no room for evolutionary thinking.

Bottom line is this debate could go on forever and we are just wasting our time here. But yes, I do not think school is the place for religion unless it is a religious school. Um, did I just contradict myself????!?!?!?!?! I had a nice run today!

It looks like it will be a nice day for a good long ride.  I hope you are able to get a good workout in this weekend as well.  My many wives and I apologize for being a smartass.

2005-08-06 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
I haven't been reading this thread. But, is it about monkeys? I like monkeys.
2005-08-06 1:43 PM
in reply to: #218172

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
allenttu - 2005-08-06 7:23 AM

Det - 2005-08-05 5:02 PM Uh yeah, in my mind it is more difficult to believe in evolution than creation. Your telling me that from this primordial ooze, a single worm crawled out.

Evolution has nothing to do with the spontaneous origin of life. Evolution is the process of genetic changes over time.

Then somehow, another one did as well? Oh wait were they asexual?

Yes, most worms are or can reproduce asexually. This is not unheard of in biology. In fact some upper level organsims can do this as well. Some populations od female whiptail lizards (Cnemidophorous spp.) are known to self fertilze their eggs producing female offspring. I have more of a problem with the required inbreeding of starting a human population from an Adam and Eve.

A stretch I think. A supreme being created the universe? Actually, that sounds alot more likely to me. If evolution is true I have absolutly nothing to loose by believing everything the bible says is true.

You've got a lot to lose. Modern medicines would not be possible without the understanding of evolutionary priniciples, the mapping of the human genome and the inevitable treasure of genetically engineered medicines to treat diseases we cannot fight would be a waste of time, the fields of biology, geology, paleontology, archaeology, etc.and the benefits to society they have provided would fail to advance so that we can follow the dogmatic beliefs that do not stand up to scientific scrutiny. However, if I was to follow the Bible, I would try to keep all my wives, slaves, and servants happy by treating them very kindly.

The other way around though (without faith) you may have an eternity to pay for it. Evolution is like the million monkey typewriter theory to me. Also, someone said earlier the bible is fictitious......not likely. FIRE AWAY...

If I go through life teaching my kids that black is red and red is yellow because that is what I believe, then it is my job to screw my kids up and reinforce it at home because it is my belief. The school is there to teach knowledge, not beliefs. Scientific knowledge supports evolutionary principles. I for one am glad that the schools teach science instead of trying to instill jihad, transcendental meditation, or creationism.

I don't want to argue with you but evolution is far from fact.

An educated scientific community disagrees with you.

Also many things in the Bible are actual accounts of real life events.

And my many wives, slaves, servants, and sacrificed livestock believe we should follow all the teachings which leave no room for evolutionary thinking.

Bottom line is this debate could go on forever and we are just wasting our time here. But yes, I do not think school is the place for religion unless it is a religious school. Um, did I just contradict myself????!?!?!?!?! I had a nice run today!

It looks like it will be a nice day for a good long ride. I hope you are able to get a good workout in this weekend as well. My many wives and I apologize for being a smartass.

Um ok....
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What evolution debate? Rss Feed  

of 6