General Discussion Triathlon Talk » having children and triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-12-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3262471

User image

Las Vegas
Subject: RE: having children and triathlons
All of this is very motivatinal for me as well...I'm well into IMCDA training, and have a little one with a due date of THURSDAY!!!

2010-12-27 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

DON'T LET THEIR EXCUSES BECOME YOURS!!!  I have 3 girls (10 -14) and they are very supportive.  When they were younger, I towed them in a burley cart or on a tag-along.  Although I've had periods of no exercise over the 14 years of children - and got up to 238 lbs - I've had periods of lots of exercise (currently at 190).  I found work drained me more than family ever did.

My family told me I did not have the body as a Triathlete, so it was my challenge to do it.  Also, I'd been training for a while and was talking about my target time when someone asked "what if you don't finish?".  That never even entered my mind until that was asked - but it again served as a motivator.

Couple of recommendations:
- Read Be Iron Fit.  I asked that our local library buy it and they did.  Liked it so much, I bought one myself.
- Schedule your work outs like meetings.
- Plan training WITH other activities.  As the kids get older, run or ride to their events instead of taking the car. 
- I'll do my long runs on Sat am by running to the coffee shop downtown.  My girlfriend will come by an pick up my girls and we will all meet for coffee / drinks and enjoy quiet time at our favorite stop downtown.

Finally - be the example for your kids.  They will have lots of people to idolize and make sure you are one of them.  My girls were always talking about the Taylor's 6 packs (Twilight) and they were all amazed when I showed them mine (well - 4 pack) the other day.  Eyes bugged out and they just had to touch it.  Their "wow" comments and excitement made me feel better than any award or race result.

Your kids will be more of a motivation than anything else.

2010-12-27 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the replies so far everyone... keep 'em coming.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement... now I can look forward to all of this instead of dread it.

It's pretty obvious, but I've been given so much crap since I've been married a bit over a year ago from friends and family, that I'm seriously starting to wonder if I'll be overweight and out of shape once again in my life, as I was before triathlon.

Edited by kevmk81 2010-12-27 10:21 AM
2010-12-27 10:24 AM

User image

Add us to the fold.  We have a 12, 7, and 2 year old.  Schedule takes some doing, but my wife and I refuse to let it impede with our healthy lifestyle.  It can be done.  As a positive, this has rubbed off on our older two.  Qualified for the junior swimming olymipcs last year.  All possible baby!!!

-J
2010-12-27 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus
I actually started working out more once I had kids (now 6 and 4).  First it was to lose the baby weight, then it was to just get my 2 hours of freedom everyday (thanks to the kids area at the gym).  Then I tried an indoor tri at the gym, and well, the rest is history!  Having kids definitely made me get out and relieve my stress!!!!!

2010-12-27 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3262747

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
kevmk81 - 2010-12-27 8:21 AM ....  It's pretty obvious, but I've been given so much crap since I've been married a bit over a year ago from friends and family, that I'm seriously starting to wonder if I'll be overweight and out of shape once again in my life, as I was before triathlon.

Let me give you the cautionary tale of why you shouldn't listen to your family, especially if you've already been overweight and out of shape.

I was never particularly atheletic but I did like to do things outdoors and had a metabolism that overrode whatever crap I ate, so I wasn't overweight.  Tall and thin at 6', 155 pounds before my oldest daughter was born when I was 25.  Not in good shape - I couldn't run a mile - but certainly not heavy.

Over the years with work and more kids - and finishing chicken nuggets, and the other half of the cheese sandwich, and so on - I found myself at 190.  Then one Christmas I particularly over-indulged, and was amazed at the scale saying 210 and I was 33 years old.  That's what got me off my butt and in the gym.  My daughters were 6, 7, 9, and my stepson 17 at the time.

I started cycling in 2001 and began triathlons in 2003, marathons in 2004, and raced my first IM in 2006.  I've done 7 IMs so far.  As a triathlete, I'm in the best shape of my life at about 170 or so race weight. 

I can tell you all about training with older children and the complexity of the drop-offs and pick-ups.  It was a great simplificaiton when my oldest daughter got her license and could drive herself and her sisters around.

So yes, if you're like me and many other Dads, you can easily pick up the pounds as a father.  And that was 15 years ago.  I think it's even easier these days because sadly being overweight is even more "normal" now than in 1995.  Don't let it happen to you.

2010-12-27 11:11 AM

User image

Regular
I started getting into it after having kids.  You do have to prioritize and may have to cut out other things.  The average person does actually waste quite a bit of time though.  The thing that has suffered most since amping up my workouts?  TV time.  I didn't think I watched a lot, but it was common to chill out in the evening after the kids were in bed with a bit of time in front of the tv.  Now I head to the pool, run or bike instead.  I don't feel deprived from watching less tv either.

It would have been a lot harder when my kids were newborns, as they slept really poorly.  However, I also had a martyr attitude and felt really guilty for taking time for myself.  I never should have felt that way, and would have been much better balanced if I had done it then too.
2010-12-27 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
It can be done. Being a parent shouldn't swallow you up.
I have 3 kids- 20, 8 and 4. Sometimes you have to be creative. That means there are days in July that I have to put the bike on the trainer, to get a workout in. Join a gym that has good childcare.
You will be setting an example for your child that is priceless. My 8 year old just completed her first 5k with me.
My 4 year old cheers me on, while I'm on the bike trainer, with shouts of "Faster Mom! Faster! You're not going ANYWHERE! Go faster!"
Remember, your lifestyle, will become your child's lifestyle. Active and healthy adults develop active and healthy kids. The balls in your court.
2010-12-27 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
in the land of hills
I have a 5 yr old and a 19 month old.

Diddo on all the responses regarding the creative scheduling. Get creative and be flexible. I have my weekly workouts scheduled in advance but I rarely ever follow them to a "t" because something will always come up...work, no sleep, illness, injury, kids activities, you name it. Just shuffle the workouts around as best you can and don't beat yourself up if there is the occasional missed workout. Life happens.

And to top everything, you will be teaching your children very valuable lessons - hard work, commitment, dedication, discipline, perseverance, achievement, and staying healthy with diet and exercise. Those are great gifts to provide as a parent
2010-12-27 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

There are people in the world (and it seems the vast majority sometimes) who are looking for any excuse NOT to exercise. For those people, any excuse will work. And I'm sure their children will feel oh-so-great knowing that their parents' declining health is in large part to them... Don't be another one of THOSE statistics. Keep at it. It works.

2010-12-27 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Add me to the list of people who started doing tri's after I became a parent. I'm in much better shape now than I've ever been in my adult life.

Once you become a parent, keeping to a schedule and a routine becomes a necessity. In a way, it makes it easier to train, because you always know exactly when and how much time you'll have. Just be prepared to be flexible.
Congratulations!

2010-12-27 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA
It sets a good example for your children. If they see you living an active life style, they will want to emulate that lifestyle also. The best part is now my 9 year old wants to participate in a kids tri this year and has started running with me.

Having a 9 year old and a 17 year old that are very active in soccer and school can make juggling workout times interesting, however it can be done. I have run a few laps around the soccer field during games or get up early in the morning to fit in my training. It is amazing what can be accomplished when you find free time

Keep up the good fight. It is well worth the effort
2010-12-27 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL

Like anything in life, if its important to you then you just figure out a way to do it.  I had 6 boys in 9 years and I worked out through all my pregnancies and was back at the gym post pardum at 6 weeks with each one.  I *LOVE* to workout.  I *NEED* to workout.  It is what has kept me sane through my child bearing years.  Yes, there has to be moderation and balance but health and fitness doesn't need to be eliminated because children come into your life.

2010-12-27 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3262959

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
kylerboys - 2010-12-27 10:24 AM

Like anything in life, if its important to you then you just figure out a way to do it. 

Wow, six boys!

The way you "figure out" may not be easy or ideal but I think as a parent you make certain long term commitments and set some clear boundaries but also balance that with flexibility and a bunch of living in the moment.

As a triathlete I find it easy to make long term commitments (sign up for races and follow my training schedule) but tend to feel pretty guilty for missing workouts, or lower intensity times.
2010-12-27 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3262684

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
Patrick E - 2010-12-27 7:43 AM

Another affirmative here.  Two kids and I certainly find the time, it just requires careful scheduling and an understanding spouse.  I'm very familiar with my alarm clock going off anywhere between 4:15 and 5:00!

married two kids and my alarm is set for 4:45am every morning. i can get 10 miles in take my kids to school, shower have coffee with my wife and roll into work just after nine.
it can be done.
2010-12-27 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3262959

User image

Veteran
in the land of hills
kylerboys - 2010-12-27 12:24 PM

Like anything in life, if its important to you then you just figure out a way to do it.  I had 6 boys in 9 years and I worked out through all my pregnancies and was back at the gym post pardum at 6 weeks with each one.  I *LOVE* to workout.  I *NEED* to workout.  It is what has kept me sane through my child bearing years.  Yes, there has to be moderation and balance but health and fitness doesn't need to be eliminated because children come into your life.

THAT'S impressive

2010-12-27 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
I'll add another "why let it stop you" vote. If you can be flexible and creative in training, have the support of your family and want to do it, there is no reason to let it stop you. I have a 6, 4 and -28 day-old (i.e., due in a month). It definitely would be easier to train if you lived on your own without friends or family but it is manageable if you can be flexible. What are some tricks I have learned (some have been mentioned already, assuming finances don't stop you):
- get a jogging stroller (and use it- this is a great one because it gets you working out AND it gives your spouse a break. I would take our baby out at 6:30 am so my wife could sleep in a little. Talk about everyone winning)
- get a bike trainer (it works well to sit on the trainer while your kids are playing around you or watc?hing TV? or whatever and it frees you up to ride at weird times, like after the kids are in bed)?
- be prepared to work out at odd times, as others have mentioned
- think about your goals and talk to your spouse about them...I trained for an IM this year and it made it much easier to be able to say "hon, I need to go for a 5hr bike ride. I hope thats OK with you" if she has already given you the all-clear. And then when you get back, be prepared to try to be chipper (i.e., pretend you are not wasted and just want to nap) because the kids might want to play, wrestle or race if they are like mine!
- Talking of IM training, personally I would wait for a bit and train for shorter, less time-intensive events for a while, until you get a read on how things work with the baby and the new family dynamic. It might be easy to find time to train; it might prove to be very hard. That depends on your particular situation but it is nice to guage it a little first. It is easier to fit in a 20-30 min run than a 4hr bike!
- Realize that you bought into the family thing and as some others have mentioned, they should be the priority in your life and if they cause you to miss some training, just roll with it.

Just my 2c. Good luck! And don't listen to the naysayers. A huge chunk of triathletes are 30+ people with jobs and a family. Somehow we all manage it and you can too.
2010-12-28 10:10 AM

1. The average North American get's zero amount of physical activity each week.

2. Training for triathlon and IM's in particular can take up a lot of time.

3. You don't have to do IM and you don't have to do triathlons, but you can stay active.

4. Kids and families do take a lot of time, but like many things, people tend to go overboard with this.

All that being said, when my son was born in 1997, I said that's it for training and racing at the level that I was at and I was happy top step away from nearly 15 years of serious triathlon training and racing. I stayed active and fit, but their was no schedule. Activity and "training" took place when there was time, not on anyone else's time.

Every person/family has to work out what is right for them. there is no one way to do this.

2010-12-28 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
The key is the following:

You wife may say, "yes honey, go for a long bike" when she really means, "hell no, can't you see I'm going nuts here?" Time to relearn how to read your wife! Make sure she feels like her needs are being attended as well as yours.

My solution was to give my wife "days off" by sending her to the movies with her friends or just letting her go upstairs and nap while I "took over" for a Saturday or Sunday.

Your life has changed, but only for the better. Congrats...my kids are my greatest achievement, and while they are a black-hole for time, they make my life complete.

2010-12-28 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
From my experience a couple thoughts:

1. I was seriously worried that I would resent my growing family for preventing me from training, which I sense in your posts may be a concern. I am continually amazed about how this is not true. I think about my life prior, with all the swimming/biking and karate I did and how I thought I could never give that up, that I wouldn't want to give that up. I gave it up, well the triathlon training, the swimming, the Karate, the long rides. I used to work out all the time. Now I just run and ride my bike to work sometimes. But I am a lot better runner than I used to be. I don't miss the extra training at all. Priorities change in a remarkable fashion.

2. If you rely on the training to keep thin, then your waist line will suffer as your training volume will not be as high. Personally, I like to eat. Training got me in shape. Was a bit of a learning curve and I gained a bit of weight but I am currently 10 pounds less than when the baby was born 22 months ago and wear a 34 instead of a 36.
2013-07-22 9:02 PM
in reply to: kevmk81

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
I know this is an old post put man.....kids are crazy. Both of my boys ages 4-6 were surprises and even though I thought I wasnt ready to be a dad that changed really quick. The nights of boozing with the boys and having a generally unhealthy lifestyle were over. They actually saved me from that life. I started triathlon last year as a lifelong goal and to be a healthy role model for them. Finding time for training can be tough and sometimes you just got to jump on the trainer in front of the TV and chase everyone on a recorded version of Tour de France. You figure it out along the way I guess. My oldest son rides his bike on my long runs and my youngest rides on my back while doing laps in the pool....total resistance training!

2013-07-22 9:57 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I think it's possible to train and have kids.  It's definitely different and requires more work, but you can do it.  I'm also pretty willing to drop a workout if my daughter is sick or needs me.  I have to be ok with that.  I take her with me running and biking as much as I can.  She loves it.
2013-07-22 10:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
It's not over by any stretch of imagination.....but listen up, from a father of 5....there will be days you wish it was. Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-22 10:09 PM
2013-07-22 10:18 PM

Twin girls here. You'll learn to fit it in, although maybe take it easy for the first six months. I couldn't do it without my wife. A supportive wife/husband is very important. Make sure they know where your priorities are, i.e. family comes before training.

IMO, it sets a great example for your kids. Seeing you active will make them want to be active. Training also gives you the energy and strength to keep up with a couple 5 year olds. The kids love coming to the races and getting race numbers like their daddy. They've both done kid run races and a kid triathlon. One is going to start with swim club in the fall although it seems the other one likes gymnastics instead.

2013-07-23 12:38 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » having children and triathlons Rss Feed  

of 3