General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 10 years swimming for fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-31 7:26 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: 10 years swimming for fitness
It just hit me, has it really been that long? That seems like a mistake.....

10 years is a long time to work on your stroke.

I started swimming for fitness to save some aches and pains from running. Now I'm running and swimming more frequently than I ever did before. Ironic.

I guess I'm feeling a little reflective. I'm thinking back to all the different swimming coaches I've had and how my stroke has evolved. Each person watches me and thinks they know "how to fix that" - whatever that is to them. So I've gone from the "s" stroke, to straight arms, to crossing arms, to arms are to wide, to gliding, to most recently glide is to long. Ha ha ha, it's all good. One coach was old school, the next taught like he swam (all out all the time), the next is all about TI. Whatever. I can't see myself but after 10 years I can feel. I can feel when I catch that water. I can feel when I remember to breath. I can feel when my head is too high. I can feel when my pull is too deep. Most important, I can feel when I've got it just right. That's what 10 years gets ya. Peace of mind, ability to feel, knowledge that you've experimented with enough different kinds of strokes, drills, intervals that you know what works for you.

So thanks to all the coaches out there! Hopefully I can continue to "work on my stroke" for another 10 years. Maybe one of these years I'll get it right. For now, I am without so I'm swimming by feel.
It feels good

Anybody else reflective about anything this New Years Eve?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 10 years swimming for fitness Rss Feed