General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles soreness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-05 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: Achilles soreness
12/30 - I did a 4 mile run, nothing crazy...not a crazy pace, no crazy hills, didn't finish crazy hard.  Just your average run.  Near the end I started to feel some soreness in my left achilles.

12/31 - I did 9 miles but was feeling the soreness before I started to run.  Loosened up during the course of the run and went away completely for a several miles.  The last 1.5 miles or so I could feel it.

1/1 - It hurt to walk!

The last couple days it's been getting better but it's still sore when I really push off.  If I'm sitting in my chair and do a calf raise so only the weight of my calf is on it...it doesn't hurt.  Walking around though I can 'feel' it.  Sometimes it can be a really sharp pain and sometimes it's not even there.

I'm open to any ideas...of what I can do to get past this.  My first marathon is coming up in May.  I'm fine having to take a little bit of time off now and train harder later on if it means I can do this run.

2011-01-05 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3279301

Subject: RE: Achilles soreness
I am on the mend from something very similar. After my eval. the Dr. determined, slight tear of the archilles tendon. This happened in mid Nov. This type of injury takes time to heal. Not days and probably not a couple weeks. If you can get it checked. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. 
2011-01-05 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

When I've had achilles issues, I just had to rest it for a week or two.  It's been quite a few months now since I've had an achilles problem, but I'm extremely diligent with my stretching and massage now.  I always warm up before and cool down after runs.  I stretch my calves/achilles before, during (about every 10 minutes) and after runs.  I stretch when I get up in the morning and before I go to bed, and typically several other times during the day.  I stretch lots on non-run days - every day actually.  I try to be very careful with the rate of run volume build-up.  All these things seems to have helped a great deal.

I've heard that stretching an injured achilles isn't a great idea, so you probably shouldn't stretch it aggressively at this point.  Wait until it's feeling better.

Don't expect to be able to dial up your volume aggressively if you're body is already complaining.  You'll likely just injure yourself again.  I pretty much skipped a race season to try to build up my run gradually so that I finally have a bit of a base (25-30 miles per week).  Even with the slow buildup I managed to overdo it a couple times.  Good luck. 

It's a lot easier to build volume without the pressure of some looming race of X distance.  If you need to, forget the marathon, and focus on the longer term.

2011-01-06 10:25 AM

User image

Master
I think you should plan on using the elliptical or steep treadmill walking to do your training for a few weeks. These exercises use many of the same muscles as running, but abuse your body, and tendons, less.
My first time with Achilles problems I took a month off completely. It healed and I was fine.
The second time (6 years later) I tried to train through it for a few weeks, took 2 weeks off and then did 2 weeks of no running but used above alternates and healed (no pain in morning, no pain running).
The third time....I am a stupid idiot and did ALL of my IM training with the injury. Planning to take at least 2-4 weeks with no running-bike and swim only and then ease back in with alternates.
2011-01-07 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Thanks for the info guys...

I reached out to a friend of mine that does PT and this is what he sent me.

Jeff,

It sounds like we're going to have to amputate. Don't be alarmed though..... prosthetic feet can (in some circumstances) be more efficient than the actual human foot!!

Seriously........ Achilles tendonitis can be challenging. First, cross train only for 2 weeks (swim, bike... but nothing weightbearing to get your cardio, not even elliptical).

Through those two weeks make sure you're doing strengthening exercises that involve the calf/Achilles on an every-other day basis.

For 2 weeks: a single leg dead lift (google image search "single leg RDL"), squats, leg press with balls of feet on edge are all good indirect ways to use the calf/Achilles without overload.

For weeks 3 & 4: Start brisk walks for 15-30 minutes on flat terrain (or treadmill) 2-3xs/week (still no running & cont. cross training). Also start more direct strengthening exercises for the calf: calf raises (flat for a week or 2, then off a step), step forward lunges, and cont the previous workout of RDLs, squats and leg press.

Weeks 4 & 5: extend the walks 30-40 minutes with a slight incline and continue strength. Start with a run 1x/week for 10-15 minutes with adequate warm-up. At that 5 week mark........ I'd like to see where you are symptom wise and if all is well, you should be able to ease back in to where you want to be with your running adding 1 day/ week of running.

I know 5 weeks off sounds like a lot, but continueing to battle with it and push through running keeps it chronically inflammed and then you just lose more time.

Keep me posted how you're doing!

2011-01-10 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
I just wanted to add to this...

I have dealt with AT for my past two seasons.  During this time, I have seen four different PT's with the final one being the best and most productive.  The first three told me the same thing - rest, ice, and stretch.  The final guy told me to NEVER STRETCH YOUR ACHILLES!  The tendon works like a rubber band - it is designed to extend and contract, not stay extended.  We worked on stretching the gastroc and soleus, but not the achilles.  Also, massage is a wonderful thing.  The most important part of this though is the achilles needs to be strengthened, not stretched.  He could not emphasize this enough.  He gave me this story about a scandinavian doctor who wanted surgery on his achilles but the other docs wouldn't do it.  He tried to get it to tear by doing calf drops hoping it would just pop.  Instead he actually got it to heal by strengthening it.  I am now doing eccentric calf drops (3 sets of 15 with my knee straight with each leg and 3 sets of 15 with my knees bent with each leg - 180 total).  This is an everyday thing.  Eight weeks before my IM, I went to him with a great deal of pain.  From race day until now, no pain.  Just something to consider.  Good luck.

2011-01-10 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3284124

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
I generally agree with your PT friend. I found that stretching my calves and strengthening them were the most effective remedies for me. Also, I thought it helped to sleep with compression socks on - my calves felt better in the morning after wearing them. YMMV.
2011-01-10 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3289521

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-01-10 6:51 AM I just wanted to add to this...

I have dealt with AT for my past two seasons.  During this time, I have seen four different PT's with the final one being the best and most productive.  The first three told me the same thing - rest, ice, and stretch.  The final guy told me to NEVER STRETCH YOUR ACHILLES!  The tendon works like a rubber band - it is designed to extend and contract, not stay extended.  We worked on stretching the gastroc and soleus, but not the achilles.  Also, massage is a wonderful thing.  The most important part of this though is the achilles needs to be strengthened, not stretched.  He could not emphasize this enough.  He gave me this story about a scandinavian doctor who wanted surgery on his achilles but the other docs wouldn't do it.  He tried to get it to tear by doing calf drops hoping it would just pop.  Instead he actually got it to heal by strengthening it.  I am now doing eccentric calf drops (3 sets of 15 with my knee straight with each leg and 3 sets of 15 with my knees bent with each leg - 180 total).  This is an everyday thing.  Eight weeks before my IM, I went to him with a great deal of pain.  From race day until now, no pain.  Just something to consider.  Good luck.

Interesting... Since both the gastrocnemius and the soleus work through the achilles tendon, how does one stretch those muscles without stretching the tendon?
2011-01-10 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3290286

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
briderdt - 2011-01-10 1:51 PM
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-01-10 6:51 AM I just wanted to add to this...

I
Interesting... Since both the gastrocnemius and the soleus work through the achilles tendon, how does one stretch those muscles without stretching the tendon?

It looks like I misspoke when said not to stretch the tendon but stretch the gastrocs and soleus.  Stretching the muscles will obviously stretch the tendon.  I was dropping my heels a good four inches below my toes and holding it for 30 sec at a time.  This stretches the tendon excessively.  Doc told me to never do that again.  He preferred standing with one foot in front of the other keeping the heel down with the leg straight, then with the knee bent.  I guess this put less stress on the AT.  Here is a link to check out as to what I was talking about:

http://coastalsportsmedicine.com/patient-info/articles/achilles-tendonitis/
2011-01-11 6:38 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Hurt my Achilles back in August.   My PCP first diagnosed it as tendonitis and had me take NSAID's and rest it for a couple of weeks.  When it didn't improve he referred me to an ortho surgeon who after some scans said it was tendonosis with some tearing. 

The surgeon said the only way for it to heal was to immobilize it, so he put me in a boot for a couple of months.  Got out of the boot around Thanksgiving and then followed it with six weeks of easy stretching, calf lifts, and lots of walking.  Spent a lot of time on the station bike at the gym.

Did my first run this past Sunday.  Really more of a run/walk at an easy pace.  The Achilles didn't bother me while running, but was a bit swollen the next day.  I'm going to ease back into it for now, maybe a couple of easy runs per week and see how it goes.

It has been frustrating.  Missed two tri's last fall and will miss another tri and two road races in the next couple of months (including a half-marathon in March).   Right now I'm targeting my 'comeback' at a sprint tri in early May.

Mark 

2011-01-11 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3291747

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
RedCorvette - 2011-01-11 7:38 AM

Hurt my Achilles back in August.   My PCP first diagnosed it as tendonitis and had me take NSAID's and rest it for a couple of weeks.  When it didn't improve he referred me to an ortho surgeon who after some scans said it was tendonosis with some tearing. 

The surgeon said the only way for it to heal was to immobilize it, so he put me in a boot for a couple of months.  Got out of the boot around Thanksgiving and then followed it with six weeks of easy stretching, calf lifts, and lots of walking.  Spent a lot of time on the station bike at the gym.

Did my first run this past Sunday.  Really more of a run/walk at an easy pace.  The Achilles didn't bother me while running, but was a bit swollen the next day.  I'm going to ease back into it for now, maybe a couple of easy runs per week and see how it goes.

It has been frustrating.  Missed two tri's last fall and will miss another tri and two road races in the next couple of months (including a half-marathon in March).   Right now I'm targeting my 'comeback' at a sprint tri in early May.

Mark 

And I've had full reconstructive surgery on both of mine. Tendonosis, calcification, Haagulund's deformity, tears fixed and the bursa removed. It's not an easy recovery.

Serious rest is what you need.

For stretching, my surgeon advised that I do the flexion against the wall like the other post said. Also, pre-run, do these for SHORT intervals and with increasing speed between stretches. You don't want to elongate with very long, deliberate stretches, but to ease the muscles into work mode with firing, followed by relaxing. This is what they'll be doing during exercise. After you run, you stretch for long intervals to elongate.

2011-01-11 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3291758

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

pitt83 - 2011-01-11 7:47 AM

Mark 

And I've had full reconstructive surgery on both of mine. Tendonosis, calcification, Haagulund's deformity, tears fixed and the bursa removed. It's not an easy recovery. Serious rest is what you need. For stretching, my surgeon advised that I do the flexion against the wall like the other post said. Also, pre-run, do these for SHORT intervals and with increasing speed between stretches. You don't want to elongate with very long, deliberate stretches, but to ease the muscles into work mode with firing, followed by relaxing. This is what they'll be doing during exercise. After you run, you stretch for long intervals to elongate.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's pretty much what my doc has me doing.  Think it's probably pretty good advice.  I've really been easing back into things slowly. 

One of the most aggravating things is people who question why I'm not doing more yet.

Mark

2011-01-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3292866

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
RedCorvette - 2011-01-11 2:43 PM

pitt83 - 2011-01-11 7:47 AM

Mark 

And I've had full reconstructive surgery on both of mine. Tendonosis, calcification, Haagulund's deformity, tears fixed and the bursa removed. It's not an easy recovery. Serious rest is what you need. For stretching, my surgeon advised that I do the flexion against the wall like the other post said. Also, pre-run, do these for SHORT intervals and with increasing speed between stretches. You don't want to elongate with very long, deliberate stretches, but to ease the muscles into work mode with firing, followed by relaxing. This is what they'll be doing during exercise. After you run, you stretch for long intervals to elongate.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's pretty much what my doc has me doing.  Think it's probably pretty good advice.  I've really been easing back into things slowly. 

One of the most aggravating things is people who question why I'm not doing more yet.

Mark

Right now the bike is feeling great. I haven't resumed running and that's gonna suck on many levels!

Edited by pitt83 2011-01-11 2:35 PM
2011-01-19 6:37 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
It may not be tendonitis, it could be bursitis. Here is a question that should be asked: Why is it only one of your achillies? I HAVE this issue. First thing my PT did was to check my alignment. Turns out I have a 1/2" difference in the length of my legs. Over time I have developed habits (Bad ones) to compensate for this causing stress on the bursa sac around the achillies. I am doing exercises to take care or my issues (lack of flexibility, tight hip flexors, etc.) things are improving slowly. I suggest you see a PT that can try to determine the source of the achillies issue.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles soreness Rss Feed