General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters Swimming, Manners and the Kevlar Swimsuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-06 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: Masters Swimming, Manners and the Kevlar Swimsuit
I am learning about combat swimming.  Is this usual, or out of the norm?  See my blog post HERE.

2011-01-06 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3283055

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Masters Swimming, Manners and the Kevlar Swimsuit
Its common for people who CANT swim well to make contact like that but you mention that they were good swimmers? The contact makes no sense to me. waht stroke was he swimming? where in his stroke cycle did he grab your suit? He sounds like an a**. I think you should always swim in his lane and swim breasttroke or butterfly while he's trying to workout.
2011-01-06 5:32 PM

User image

Usually, the only time I make contact with someone in another lane is when my hand touches their hand as we are both stoking...or if one of us is breast stroking, that foot may touch another hand or foot. 

In those cases, no appology is needed IMO.

I've never made contact with another torso...and if I did...I would appologize...especially if my hand got caught in clothing.

But I also would not get too upset if no appology was given to me.  The only time I would expect an appology is if I got accidently hit in the head...normally by someone in my own lane.  Anything else is just part of the deal.

Edited by tri808 2011-01-06 5:32 PM
2011-01-06 5:58 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Really trying to figure out what this is about, was it where the contact was made that upset you?  Incidental contact happens occasionally, I (or anyone else that was involved) never stopped mid-set to apologize.  Had I injured someone (club them in the eye or something) than I would stop.  At the end of the set I may say sorry but we all know it happens and its usually the obligatory "sorry".  Our pool has lane dividers which help but don't prevent it.

If it happened a lot or you felt it was intentional then I can see getting worked up about it but otherwise I would just blow it off.  BTW, IMHO this is in no way combat swimming, now if he had grabbed your legged, pulled you down and swam over you than yes that would be combat swimming.
2011-01-06 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3283224

Master
, California
I disagree with some of the other responses here.  I swam competitively for a long time.  Yes contact happens but it's usually when you're circle swimming with several people in the same lane.

The fact that this guy was in the next lane over makes it sound either deliberate, or really really careless, considering he's supposedly a good swimmer.  Even in a race where I'm hugging the lane line to get a little draft off someone, I've never had that kind of contact.
2011-01-06 6:17 PM

User image

I'm still trying to figure out what happened...  next lane over?  and grabbed your crotch?  I don't see how that could happen.  We get the occasional arm swipe during backstroke pull, or maybe an errant kick from a too wide breastroke from the next lane.  All of that is incidental and doesnt' warrant an apology.  But I am not sure I could physically grab a girl's crotch area in the next lane without going under the lane line.

Or maybe he was just coming on to you? 

2011-01-06 6:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
It wasn't a mistake.....he was trying to cop a feel.   Unless of course you were completely rolled over to the side.
2011-01-06 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
I think more details are needed.

Are you swimming a class without lane-ropes?  If there were ropes, it should not be possible to make that much contact from another lane or at the least it would be obvious to someone on deck.

In general, contact comes with the territory and in my experience unless it keeps happening everyone shrugs it off and keeps going.

-eric 
2011-01-06 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
DiOnMaui - 2011-01-06 4:24 PM I am learning about combat swimming.  Is this usual, or out of the norm?  See my blog post HERE.

If he's an experienced swimmer, and not swimming backstroke, then I'm saying he was copping a feel. A little perv action going down it that pool
2011-01-06 8:01 PM

Expert
Darn, I was actually expecting to see a new carbon fiber suit! Don't have one of those!

2011-01-06 9:32 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

a few years ago an old lady one the lane over was doing some backstroke-esque jellyfish swimming technique.  kicked me right in the junk as I swam by, flailing her leg under the lane rope.

2011-01-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3283597

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
condorman - 2011-01-06 7:32 PM

a few years ago an old lady one the lane over was doing some backstroke-esque jellyfish swimming technique.  kicked me right in the junk as I swam by, flailing her leg under the lane rope.

Hahaha. This is definitely one of those stories where it sucks to be there but is hilarious in retrospect.

As for the original post, if he's in a different lane as you say he is, then he's trying to cop a feel. There's no way even a semi-decent serious swimmer would do that accidentally. 
2011-01-07 9:57 AM

User image

over a barrier
Contact is going to happen at masters especially if lanes are full on both sides. I smack wrists/hands all the time and get the occasional kick to the nads. I've never had anyone say sorry and I've never sorry either....just happens. Just roll with it....

edit to add: did this happen at the wall during a flip turn?

Edited by running2far 2011-01-07 9:59 AM
2011-01-07 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD

Dont expect apologies. Contact happens often enough that people dont worry about it, and yes, sometimes the contact is in wierd places.

Ive only apologized twice in my swimming career. Once when I drilled a guy in the face, we were both in the same lane going opposite directions during a fly set. And once when doing a breatstroke set and I kicked a barely mobile elderly aqua jogger in the lane next to me in the junk.

2011-01-07 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3284387

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
running2far - 2011-01-07 10:57 AM Contact is going to happen at masters especially if lanes are full on both sides. I smack wrists/hands all the time and get the occasional kick to the nads. I've never had anyone say sorry and I've never sorry either....just happens. Just roll with it.... edit to add: did this happen at the wall during a flip turn?

Same here.  I've smacked hands and arms with people a few times during swim practice. 

That being said, I'm not entirely sure how the OP's situation happened.  Usually, I only hit extremities (sometimes arms hit, sometimes kicked), but I've never had anyone grab my crotch.  That's just weird and makes me think it was intentional.
2011-01-07 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Yes, I am laughing it off... and I know contact happens.  The little nicks and scrapes are no big deal and I wouldn't apologize or expect an apology either, especially with a full pool. 

He was backstroking right on the lane line, but I knew he was there so tried to keep as much distance as I could without crowding my lane partner.  And, really, I know it was an accident - otherwise, the the timing to do something like that on purpose would really be impressive! Smile

It wasn't so much the location of the contact (as surprising as it was!), but it was full and obvious contact.  A quick apology at the wall after his set was finished would have been appropriate, I thought.  At least to make sure you hadn't poked someone's eye out?

2011-01-07 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3285116

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
DiOnMaui - 2011-01-07 1:56 PM Yes, I am laughing it off... and I know contact happens.  The little nicks and scrapes are no big deal and I wouldn't apologize or expect an apology either, especially with a full pool. 

He was backstroking right on the lane line, but I knew he was there so tried to keep as much distance as I could without crowding my lane partner.  And, really, I know it was an accident - otherwise, the the timing to do something like that on purpose would really be impressive! Smile

It wasn't so much the location of the contact (as surprising as it was!), but it was full and obvious contact.  A quick apology at the wall after his set was finished would have been appropriate, I thought.  At least to make sure you hadn't poked someone's eye out?

But did he get your phone number? haha
2011-01-07 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Last week while swimming at the Y in MN, a women joins my lane. After she gets back to the wall I suggest we split the lane and she agrees. She keeps swimming down the middle of the lane over the black line. I avoid her as best I can but usually we would hit each other when we pass even with me on the lane dividers.

I was doing some harder effort swimming and my hand went down the top of her suit probably up to my wrist which was startling for me and it took me a few seconds to figure out what happened. I kept swimming but stopped at the end of the pool where she was. She had two visible deep scratch marks on her chest. I'm sure I had her DNA under my fingernails. I apologized and we chatted and had conversation about elder parents. She was okay about it, but I felt bad and wondered what she'd think once she saw the scratch marks.

I choose carefully who I swim with when sharing lanes if I can as some folks swim wider than others and are not aware of others at all. Today I almost had to share a lane with the worst guy who swims wide and has no awareness.
2011-01-07 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3285142

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
KathyG - 2011-01-07 2:05 PM Last week while swimming at the Y in MN, a women joins my lane. After she gets back to the wall I suggest we split the lane and she agrees. She keeps swimming down the middle of the lane over the black line. I avoid her as best I can but usually we would hit each other when we pass even with me on the lane dividers.

I was doing some harder effort swimming and my hand went down the top of her suit probably up to my wrist which was startling for me and it took me a few seconds to figure out what happened. I kept swimming but stopped at the end of the pool where she was. She had two visible deep scratch marks on her chest. I'm sure I had her DNA under my fingernails. I apologized and we chatted and had conversation about elder parents. She was okay about it, but I felt bad and wondered what she'd think once she saw the scratch marks.

I choose carefully who I swim with when sharing lanes if I can as some folks swim wider than others and are not aware of others at all. Today I almost had to share a lane with the worst guy who swims wide and has no awareness.

Did you get her number? man I am crackin myself up today!

truthfully though, I have been bumped and scratched just about everywhere and done the same to others. I think it's just the nature of the beast.
2011-01-07 2:20 PM

User image

DiOnMaui - 2011-01-07 11:56 AM Yes, I am laughing it off... and I know contact happens.  The little nicks and scrapes are no big deal and I wouldn't apologize or expect an apology either, especially with a full pool. 

Ah, I expect contact from the next lane if they are doing backstroke.  I've initiated it more than a few times myself.  I suppose if he was right on the lane line in his lane, and you were right on the lane line in yours, his backstroke pull could be wide enough to reach your crotchal area.

Happened to me last night (hit me) and I thought of this thread.  Honestly, I couldn't tell who it was that did it, and I doubt he or she could tell who it was they did it to.
2011-01-07 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
He was backstroking right on the lane line, but I knew he was there so tried to keep as much distance as I could without crowding my lane partner.

I am definitely guilty of this when swimming backstroke.  For some reason, I hug the lane line and have a wide pull.  It's always awkward for a moment, but by the time you stop at the wall, it seems even more awkward to bring it up.  I also usually have no idea who it was I hit.

Drew 

2011-01-07 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
If it's backstroke then that's a different beast all together. I'm sure he didn't mean any harm by it and it's expected in that situation. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters Swimming, Manners and the Kevlar Swimsuit Rss Feed