United States
1310 The Ticket
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 32m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had to get up 3 1/2 hours before race start (long drive). Laid in bed for a good 20 minutes while I listened to the radio and woke my brain up. Ate a bowl of cereal and a banana then took a warm shower to loosen up my muscles. Put peanut butter on a whole wheat bagel and grabbed a bottle of gatorade for the road.
Event warmup:

Found the bathroom before I got my bike out of the Jeep. Hey! Both toilets are overflowing! This is going to be a fun ride now. Rode from my parking spot to the registration area and then back to the start. I brought my Camelbak but decided to ride with just my two Polar bottles of CytoMax and get what else I needed from the aid stations.
Bike
  • 3h 32m 27s
  • 75 miles
  • 21.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Not only was this my first cycling race but it was the first time I had ever ridden with a group. The 75 milers started first and we all stayed together for the most part. Once we got 10 or 15 miles in the lead pack started to split and I decided that I would stay with them. After the first turn at the aid station the pace picked up and more people were dropped. The group stayed mostly together up until the 3rd aid station around mile 40. The next hill was the steepest we had seen all day and a good two dozen of us were dropped. I really struggled to keep up on the hills. Once we crested the hill I looked back and found out that I was last in the group and couldn't even see anyone from the chase groups. I really wanted to stay with the lead pack so I got down on my aerobars and hammered away. I slowly caught up to each of the others who were dropped and they all hopped on behind me. Spent a good 10 minutes of hammering close to 30mph before we caught up to the pack again. Had several riders thank me for taking the brunt of the work. We hit the next aid station (around mile 55) and then it happened: the rolling hills. There was no way I could keep up on a tri-bike. Everyone else could just climb faster and that's all there was to it. A dozen of us fell back and rode in groups of 2 or 3. I would start with one person and then drop them once we hit a flat. Picked up the next rider, dropped them on the next flat. Finally we made a HUGE climb and found the next to last aid station. Got a bottle of water as I whizzed by (first aid station I used). Came down the next steep hill and picked up a fellow triathlete named David who recognized me from Ironhead Dallas because of my beard. We talked about riding and racing and how we both hated riding in groups. I actually didn't mind being dropeed too much because I could get on my aerobars and I feel much more at home there. I pushed ahead of him after a few minutes and shortly after that I hit the last aid station. Stopped with a number of other riders, some 75 milers and some 40 milers, to refuel. Had a bottle of water, half an energy bar and a sugar cookie. Got back on my horse with 8 miles to go. Started passing the slowpokes from the 40 mile group and it really made me feel good to pass someone for a change. Finally saw the '1 1/2 mile left' sign. Suddenly I had nothing left. Everyone after that sign was dragging. Went from 20mph to 12. Felt like that last mile would take me an hour. Eventually I got to the finish and rode straight through as I headed to the pool to find the food.
What would you do differently?:

A road bike would have been a good choice over a tri-bike for this course, but I don't have one so that's not really an option.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode to the pool and left my bike leaning against a tree. Got myself a COLD glass of water and got in line for the food. Had spaghetti with meat sauce, bread and a 7up. Found a shady spot in the grass where I could eat and it was fantastic. Finished and rode back to where I was parked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The tri-bike wasn't the fastest machine on a course this hilly. I also haven't done very many rides this long, so I'm still learning when I can push myself and when I need to coast.

Event comments:

This race kicked my ass! No timing chips or detailed results (or any results other than the top 3 who won $$), so no idea how I finished overall or in my age group. I hung with the lead pack for the first 55 miles and that's pretty damn good for someone who just started riding 3 1/2 months ago. It'll be interesting to see how I do at this race next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-07-27 12:00 AM
Biking
03:32:27 | 75 miles | 21.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
AVG HR: 134
Wind: Little
Course: Road race (highways and country roads) around Possum Kingdom Lake. We took up the right lane and shoulder at a minimium. The first half was fairly flat and later we saw more and more hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ~90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-07 7:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-08-07 8:00 PM
in reply to: #218818

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Tour de Pants
Way to go Aaron. I hadn't thought about doing any bike races, but maybe I will since I'm going to bike more/run less. Great race!
2005-08-07 11:09 PM

Champion
Hey good race Aaron! That's a great MPH average for 75 miles!
2005-08-08 12:46 AM

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Aaron, that is a KILLER average pace for such a long race.  Great job, buddy!
2005-08-08 11:04 AM

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Man you really did ride well. If you hung with that lead pack for 55 miles you can ride with pretty much anybody. The lead pack was completely out of my eyesight by about mile 10. And to put your ride in perspective, Craig Miller(the guy from The Ticket that kind of sponsers this) is supposedly a nationally ranked cyclist. He finished 2nd and I heard him say on the radio this morning that the guy who won has been racing for years. So, that should put your ride in perspective a little bit.
2005-08-08 2:49 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Great JOB! Your bike skills continue to improve so much! Great job on all the training leading up to this!

2005-08-09 7:19 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Pants Rss Feed