United States
Thurston Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 4s
Overall Rank = 29/69
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off 2 hours before the start. Took a quick shower to wake myself up and had a whole wheat bagel w/ peanut butter and some water.
Event warmup:

Setup my transition area and jogged around the parking lot. My HRM didn't want to work for so I ditched it in my bag before the race started. I think I finally need a new battery. Did a short stretching routine in the few minutes I had left.
Run
  • 16m 32s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a little faster than I should have. First mile was 7:45 and second wasn't too much slower which is pretty good for me. Not what I should have done the day after a 75 mile bike race though.
What would you do differently?:

Slow down, or don't do a bike race the day before.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Good transition. Nearly lost my balance putting on my bike shoes, but overall it wasn't bad.

I can always go faster.
Bike
  • 25m 36s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 21.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Started passing people as soon as I left T1 and never stopped. Must have caught 4 dozen people on the bike leg. There were a handfull of riders who didn't stay on the right which got annoying because I already had to avoid plenty of non-racers on the course. I could definitely feel the soreness in my quads from yesterday in the beginning, but my legs warmed up nicely after a few miles. I knew that I would do well on this leg, but never thought I'd be 4th overall the day after a 75-miler! Makes me wonder just what I could have done if I had rested properly.

Come into it with fresher legs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Finally got out of my shoes before T2 for the first time. Started to balance on one foot but my shoe caught the ground as I hopped off and my bike nearly flipped end-over-end. My shoe went flying and I grabbed it as I ran in. After the shoe mishap I couldn't get my flag pole together and had to stop for a second to get it lined up. Running out I tried to turn my race number to the front and tore one end. Despite it all it was still a pretty fast transition.

More practice getting out of shoes. Remember to turn my number around before I have a flag pole in my hands.
Run
  • 17m 57s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Slowed down quite a bit but maintained my lead over most of the people I passed on the bike. Kept a good steady pace and was running sub-9:00 miles. Not bad at all.

Take a cup of water in T2 so I'm not so thirsty as I head out.
Post race
Warm down:

Put my flag and race belt in my bag and went off to find the food. Had a banana, 2 cups of Gatorade and 2 cups of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupid mistakes in transition. Exhaustion and sore muscles from the day before.

Event comments:

Easy race with lots of beginners. Nothing but bananas, water, Gatordae and Coke at the finish. Give me a bagel at least. It's a small race so I didn't expect alot anyway. Still a fun race, but I won't run it next year if I can find another race that same weekend. Oh, and a note on the overall results: these are for the men only. The combined results weren't posted so that's what I have to work with. However, I still would have been 4th overall on the bike even with the ladies' times mixed in.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:16:32 | 02 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 51/69
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back with lots of shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:25:36 | 9.3 miles | 21.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 4/69
Wind: None
Course: Fairly flat course that wound around the lake with a few small hills throughout. However the course was open to the rest of the people in the park so there were lots of recreational riders and joggers to dodge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ~90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:57 | 02 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 29/69
Course: Differnt out and back than the first run leg. Not as much shade but totally flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %.5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-07 7:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-08-08 12:50 AM
in reply to: #218819

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: Two White Dogs Duathlon
Great job, Aaron.  You never cease to amaze me man.  Give me some tips on how to become such a monster on the bike!
2005-08-08 11:13 AM

Veteran
Dallas, TX
How did you go out and do another race Sunday? I was mush. I will look for you at Tri The Rock. You should do pretty well there. I would imagine there will be alot of beginners since it is a small sprint. But you should probably be blowing by people on the bike. It is not a real flat course. Kind of small rolling hills but nothing steep and it is only 14 miles or so. The swim is in a pool though so I am not sure how that is going to work. I have never done a sprint before and have never even seen a pool swim.
2005-08-08 12:08 PM
in reply to: #218993

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-08-08 2:50 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Aaron,

Maybe one day I can be qualified to be one of your "fast friends" to challenge you on a ride....keep up the good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Two White Dogs Duathlon Rss Feed