www.trisportcanada.com
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 58s
Overall Rank = 341/355
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/19
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to the cottage on Friday night. On Saturday, I did a few quick sprints in the campground pool, and took my bike out for a quick spin. I decided to raise the seat, and ended up raising it a little over an inch. Also drove out to the race site to pick up my packet. I had planned on driving the race course, but in the end, I felt too rushed, and decided against it. Didn't drink enough water, and ate too much junk. Oh well. Got to bed about 11pm.

Also, I realized I had no gels, and no energy bars, so had Dwayne get some Clif bars at Walmart while he was there. He had a lone strawberry-banana Power Gel (YUCK), so I stuck it in my bag, just in case.

Got up around 5:20am, skipped breakfast (oops) and headed out with the family at about 6:10am. Arrived at the race site about 7:15am.
Event warmup:

Got body marked, and collected my chip. Signed the kids up for the kids 1k run. Went to the bathroom. (Significant difference between Cdn & US races so far? No potty line-ups ;) )

Racks were designated by age group, so got the 3rd spot in on the F30-34 rack. All the walking around I did to set things up, etc. I did in these cheapo flip-flops I bought. Bad idea! I got some tender chafe marks from them. OUCH.

PowerBar had a booth, so I was hoping I could buy some chocolate or vanilla gels, but they weren't selling any--they were saving it for taste tests/demos after the race. Talked the guy into giving my a vanilla, and stuck it in my tri-suit pocket.

Ate a clif bar at about 8:40am (20 minutes before my wave). Put on the wetsuit, and swam for about 5 minutes before it was time to line up for the start.
Swim
  • 25m 43s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was awful. The time wasn't that bad, but the swim itself, awful. The water was REALLY murky, so you couldn't see anything. Not the bottom, not the person 12 inches in front of you. It made for a REALLY rough start, since noone had any awareness of where anyone else was.

I started in the first wave, along with the elite men and women, which was kinda cool.

I just could not get into a good rhythm for this swim. I couldn't see anyone's feet to try and draft. On the way to the second buoy, I don't know what happened, but I was swimming my own swim, totally the wrong way. I angled back, but I probably added a good 100m getting back on track. ARGH!

The next waves caught up to me very quickly, and I was really jostled. A number of times I went for a breath and caught a mouthful of water. I didn't panic, but it helped to throw me even further off.

I really felt constricted by the wetsuit. I felt like it was keeping me from keeping any semblance of good form. I really think I may have had a better swim (even though my time may have been slower) without it.

Anyhoo, I finally get to the end of the swim. You can't see the bottom, so you have no idea how deep the water is. I kept looking up to see what people ahead of me were doing. When I saw that people were standing, I went to stand on my jello legs. except, I stepped into some sort of sink-hole, so as I put weight on my right foot, it sunk into the mud, which threw me off balance. My legs were jello as it was, so I had a really hard time standing up, and getting out of the water. As I ran to the TZ, I felt like I wanted to be done the race. I was not looking forward to getting on the bike. I was whipped.

VERDICT? BEAT SIL BY 3:29
What would you do differently?:

Be a better swimmer? Stay on course. Start further back in the wave so I don't get trampled by my own wave. Do more wetsuit swimming to get better used to it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

This transition was FAST. It was only 14 seconds slower than Clark Lake, and I didn't wear a wetsuit at Clark Lake.

I ran into T1, and pulled off my wetsuit (almost falling over in the process). Put my helmet on (dropped my sunglasses), put sunglasses on, put bike shoes on (all the while chatting with the girl next to me about how brutal the swim was), unracked my bike (had trouble getting the seat under the rack) and ran to the bike-out.

"Do you have your number" the volunteer yells. AAAAAHHHHHH! Run back to the rack, drop the bike, grab the number, put it on, pick up the bike, (remind the girl next to me (who is still putting on her socks) to remember her number) and run to the bike-out.

Not forget my number at a race that makes you wear it on the bike? I could easily have saved 20 seconds in this T by not forgetting the number.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 32s
  • 33 kms
  • 26.21 km/hr
Comments:

Okay, I'm sure someone said this was a flat bike. I forgot that "flat" is a relative term. OH MY GOSH, were there hills. The entire course was hills. I think the only flats were at the top of hills, before you went up another hill.

As I started the bike, I reached for my vanilla PowerGel. GONE! This would be a problem.

For the most part, I was happy with this bike. I pushed more than in previous races, and I had a decent pace going. But the hills just wore my down. I did not pass a single person on this bike. About 20k in, I shifted and dropped my @*&($#(*$ chain. It only took 10-15 seconds to fix it, but what a bugger. That chain is history!

I got up to a max of 52.?km/hour (that's 32+ mph for you metric'ly challenged). Unfortunately, I also went up a couple hills at below 10 km/hour. Ouch.

I also think the lack of calories that morning really started to hurt me on the second half of the bike. All I had was water, so I had no nutrition available to me. I should have had gatorade, or something, on the bike at least.

SIL's time included T1 & T2, so I'll add them to my time.
VERDICT? BEAT SIL BY 26:41

I will say that I can totally understand why this course took her as long as it did. These hills were crazy!

There is just no substitute for riding hills. I also need to learn to climb out of the saddle. Mostly, I just need to ride more. I'm riding 50 miles / week right now, and I need to double that before I'll see significant improvement in my bike times.

I also need to get a batter handle on nutrition (and actually buy some #*$&( gels)
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Run in with bike, and rack it. Bike shoes off, socks on, runners on, helmet off, run with hat. (No sign of girl next to me--she passed me 2 minutes into the bike ;) )

I had hoped to suck back the strawberry-banana gel at this point, but I had completely forgotten about it by the time I got into T2.

Im very happy with this transition. I think the only way I could have been faster is to learn to take my shoes off while I'm on the bike.
Run
  • 49m 40s
  • 4.35 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was hard. My legs were so done after that bike ride. I jogged/shuffled for about 2 minutes, and I just couldn't keep going. I told myself I would walk for 2 minutes, to get my legs under me, and then start running, which is what I did.

They had aid stations at the 1km, 2km and 3km, and it was an out-and-back so you passed 6 aid stations. The 2km mark had gatorade, so I sucked back a full glass of the disgusting warm blue stuff. I think it's a good thing I did. My race may have been worse.

I ran 10min run / 2 min walk intervals--walking the aid stations so I could get as much gatorade into me as possible.

As I rounded the turn, and started heading back, a 20-something girl caught up to me, and I tried to pace her as long as I could--like a minute. Oh well. I do think that the second half of my run was a little better.

I was really panting by the 5km mark, though. Twice, I was sure I was about to do a Wendi ;) From just before 5km to about 6km, I ran 100 seconds, walked 100 seconds, ran 100 seconds etc. When I reached the 6km mark, I resumed running. Just before that, I was passed by a 30-34 girl, but I just had nothing to give to keep up with her, she cruised past me.

As I came within about 200m of the finish, I could hear someone coming up behind me with a nice kick. Just as they almost got beside me, I said "Ok, let's do it" and I kicked it in, and managed to keep in front of him. (Never mind that he was 65+ and had started the race 15 minutes after me!) After the race he came up to me and said something to the effect of "good for you. I thought I had you, but you had more left than I did. Good job"

This is the one event where SIL kicks my behind.
VERDICT? SIL BEAT ME BY 7:15

Considering how my running is going lately, I'm not sure I could have done much--beyond having more calories in me. I ran this run 50s/mile faster than Clark Lake, and the bike was 13km longer here, so I'm satisfied.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my chip taken off, drank some of the water bottle they handed me, and found D & the boys. I was spent. I actually cried on his shoulder, mostly because the race just took that much out of me. (I'm such a girl ;) )

Went and grabbed a Pepsi & some other food at the food tent. Collected my stuff, etc. Watched the kids do a 1km run. Waited around for the raffle--won a black adidas hat (not a running hat, but a good post-event hat). Also bought a bento box at the race vendor to help with the nutrition thing.

VERDICT: BEAT SIL BY 23:04 YEAH ME!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still new to this athleticism thing, so I've got a long way to go. Mostly I would say a) my nutrition mess-up, and b) need to continue building a base, and training in all three sports.

Event comments:

Very well run race. It was neat to start in the same wave as a number of Canadian National team members. Everything seemed well organized, the announcer was great as well. If it fit into my schedule, I would definitely consider doing this one again.

Last updated: 2005-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:43 | 1000 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/19
Overall: 310/355
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Sleeve Ironman Instinct
Course: Standard 3-sided square swim. Out across the lake, left turn up to the dam, left turn back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:32 | 33 kms | 26.21 km/hr
Age Group: 17/19
Overall: 333/355
Wind: Some
Course: Big square on VERY hilly roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:40 | 04.35 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/19
Overall: 345/355
Course: Completely flat out-and-back, mostly on dirt & gravel rail-to-trail paths, with a 1.5km segment before and after turn-around on roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-07 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON
Subject: Belwood Lake

2005-08-08 9:26 AM
in reply to: #218930

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Subject: RE: Belwood Lake

Hey, great race!!  I knew all that training would pay off!!

You're right about those hills...there really is no substitute for them.  They'll really improve your overall bike strength.

2005-08-08 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

Great race, Jean! I loved reading your RR. Sounds as if you know what to do to improve in the next race. 

I'm still trying to figure out the nutrition thing... should I gel, when do I gel, hydration...it's all a big mystery to me.

Hey, you got SIL by 23min! GREAT JOB!!

2005-08-08 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

I think it was an excellent race. You were aggressive on the swim, tough on the bike, and when it got tough on the run, you thought out a strategy and exectued it and stayed mentally tough. THAT'S WHAT GO YOU ACROSS THE LINE!!!!! The fitness and nutrition will come with experience and time. Its so much tougher, though, to perservere mentally when the body starts really being pushed.

Congrats. Glad you didn't Wendi. Got a huge belly laugh out of that one, and I'm very glad I beat Wendi in here to reply to your RR. Got 1 question.....were there any seagulls following you???

Congrats Jean. This race was an interesting distance. Almost halfway between Oly and Sprint. Must have been sooooo cool to start with the pros. Anyway....we're all proud of you. Way to go!!!!

Edited by jkbostic 2005-08-08 9:03 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belwood Lake Rss Feed