General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit with a twist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-11 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Bike Fit with a twist
Hi all,

I bought a Felt B16 last May and of course got a professional bike fitting with the bike.  I've been riding on the trainer about 3-4 hours per week this winter and have more numbness in the crotch than I think I should have.  I understand that some of that may be due to the lack of movement of the bike on the trainer, but last summer I did several rides (up to 2 hours) on the trainer when the weather was bad and didn't have the same issues.

My thoughts are that I may have become more/less limber since last May.  this leads me to my question:  How often do you guys tend to get a professional bike fitting?  Should I wait until this spring when I can ride on the road, or should I consider one now?

Thanks in advance!

2011-01-11 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3293397

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Bike Fit with a twist
There should be zero difference between a trainer and riding outside as far as fit and comfort is concerned.

I would get another fitting to address the specific problems you are having.
2011-01-11 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Did you take time off your bike? How long have you been riding 3-4 hours per week?

Are you sure nothing has changed ie seat height and the like? Did you take your bike apart to travel and maybe assembled a bit off what you were set up at with your fit?

Does your fitter have a follow up program that is less expensive?

Many find trainer less comfortable due to number of factors including trainer is constant position where outside you slightly move on your bike.

Not uncommon to have more saddle discomfort on trainer but certainly an issue. Does it matter if you are in aero or sitting up?

2011-01-11 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Kathy,

I took 8 weeks off, but have been riding 3 to 4 hours a week for the last 12ish weeks.  About 90% of the time i am in aero.  The numbness and discomfort is difficult for me to handle. 

I haven't changed anything on the bike at all. I haven't taken it apart or anything.  Like I mentioned earlier, this summer I was doing many trainer rides when the weather was bad.  Some of those trainer rides were as much as two hours.  Yes, there was discomfort, but not as bad as now.  

And I'm not talking about the soreness you get when you get on the bike after an extended period of time away.  this is not the same.  I got over that type of soreness after about 5 rides since my return.

I'm leaning toward getting a new saddle or a new bike fit.  My hopes are that i need one or the other and that I figure out which one I need without wasting money (pciking the wrong one).  
2011-01-11 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3293571

Master
portland, or
NashinAK - 2011-01-11 4:10 PM

Kathy,

I took 8 weeks off, but have been riding 3 to 4 hours a week for the last 12ish weeks.  About 90% of the time i am in aero.  The numbness and discomfort is difficult for me to handle. 

I haven't changed anything on the bike at all. I haven't taken it apart or anything.  Like I mentioned earlier, this summer I was doing many trainer rides when the weather was bad.  Some of those trainer rides were as much as two hours.  Yes, there was discomfort, but not as bad as now.  

And I'm not talking about the soreness you get when you get on the bike after an extended period of time away.  this is not the same.  I got over that type of soreness after about 5 rides since my return.

I'm leaning toward getting a new saddle or a new bike fit.  My hopes are that i need one or the other and that I figure out which one I need without wasting money (pciking the wrong one).  

As a Felt dealer, and a certified bike fitter who's done 100's of fits, I can tell you that very few people keep the saddle that comes on the B16. I suggest you get a new saddle, and since you're experiencing numbing I suggest it be one with a cut-out or some other type of pressure relief.

Many bike shops have demo saddles and some have liberal return policies with saddles. Nobody should have to live with pain and numbing from their saddle.

Good luck.

scott
2011-01-11 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3293590

User image

Veteran
Scott,

Perfect!  Thanks for your input.  I'll go to my LBS and see what they can give me to try

2011-01-11 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3293590

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
yaqui - 2011-01-11 5:24 PM
As a Felt dealer, and a certified bike fitter who's done 100's of fits, I can tell you that very few people keep the saddle that comes on the B16. I suggest you get a new saddle, and since you're experiencing numbing I suggest it be one with a cut-out or some other type of pressure relief. Many bike shops have demo saddles and some have liberal return policies with saddles. Nobody should have to live with pain and numbing from their saddle. Good luck. scott

As far as I can tell, all Felts come with the same saddle except the DA. Is the Felt saddle that bad?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit with a twist Rss Feed