General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing my long and slow workouts too fast Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-18 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3302311

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Doing my long and slow workouts too fast
Flying Kiwi - 2011-01-16 3:40 AM

So if you just train on effort, then what use are heart rate monitors and training zones? 

HRM - not necessary if training by effort.

Zones - I simplify it to easy, medium, hard. It doesn't have to be complex. I spend most of the time doing easy efforts, less doing medium efforts, and very little time spent doing hard efforts.

If you are tired all the time, then you are probably training at too high an intensity. Don't worry about "slow", worry about effort. With running, the majority of your running should find you at the end feeling like you can turn around and do the exact same workout.

2011-01-18 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3305809

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Scout7 - 2011-01-18 8:47 AM
Flying Kiwi - 2011-01-16 3:40 AM So if you just train on effort, then what use are heart rate monitors and training zones? 
HRM - not necessary if training by effort. Zones - I simplify it to easy, medium, hard. It doesn't have to be complex. I spend most of the time doing easy efforts, less doing medium efforts, and very little time spent doing hard efforts. If you are tired all the time, then you are probably training at too high an intensity. Don't worry about "slow", worry about effort. With running, the majority of your running should find you at the end feeling like you can turn around and do the exact same workout.

Scout7 - I love the simplicity of your approach but I get BORED to death on long slow runs.  Worse right now since I'm doing base miles at local fitness center's indoor (1/8 mi) track.  I find myself raising my pace just to get done. Like OP my LS runs end up being too fast.  So I tend to use my HRM as a speedometer & distraction.  Even a blip in ave HR from 127 to 128 keeps me amused
2011-01-19 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3307500

User image

Runner
Oldteen - 2011-01-18 7:49 PM

Scout7 - 2011-01-18 8:47 AM
Flying Kiwi - 2011-01-16 3:40 AM So if you just train on effort, then what use are heart rate monitors and training zones? 
HRM - not necessary if training by effort. Zones - I simplify it to easy, medium, hard. It doesn't have to be complex. I spend most of the time doing easy efforts, less doing medium efforts, and very little time spent doing hard efforts. If you are tired all the time, then you are probably training at too high an intensity. Don't worry about "slow", worry about effort. With running, the majority of your running should find you at the end feeling like you can turn around and do the exact same workout.

Scout7 - I love the simplicity of your approach but I get BORED to death on long slow runs.  Worse right now since I'm doing base miles at local fitness center's indoor (1/8 mi) track.  I find myself raising my pace just to get done. Like OP my LS runs end up being too fast.  So I tend to use my HRM as a speedometer & distraction.  Even a blip in ave HR from 127 to 128 keeps me amused

It's not long SLOW runs. It's long STEADY runs. Big difference. It's not about speed, it's about effort.

As long as you can recover for the next workout, aren't facing any injury issues, I'd say don't worry about it a whole lot. You're doing fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing my long and slow workouts too fast Rss Feed  

of 2