The Ticket
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 26m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a little over a 2 hour drive from my house. Woke up at 4:45am and headed out. Ate a banana, power bar, and drank a bottle of gatorade on the drive out. Arrived about 40 minutes prior to race start.
Event warmup:

Rode from my truck to the resort then back to the starting line.
Bike
  • 4h 26m
  • 75 miles
  • 16.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Now for these hills. These hills weren't daunting to look at it for the most part. But they were sneaky hills. Not real steep, but fairly long and the seemed to come more and more frequent from about mile 30 until the end. The last 20 miles it seemed like I would get to the top of a hill, start cruising down the backside only to look on the herizon at another hill quickly approaching. This was my longest ride so far. I had done 60 miles a couple of times, in the 50's several times, and I did a half ironman in June. But this course(hills) along with the heat really sucked the life out of me.
What would you do differently?:

The 40 mile route instead of the 75 miler. Just kidding.

Just continue to increase my mileage and hill work.
Post race
Warm down:

I rode into the resort, rode to my Jeep, leaned my bike against the side, started it up, turned on the air conditioner, opened the back and just laid there for about 15-20 minutes. I was spent. I did not even have the life force to get back on my bike and ride the short ways down to the pool area where the post race meal and festivities were taking place. Once I was able to get back to my feet, I just loaded my bike and started home. I had 6 bottles of gatorade and 4 gel packs on the race course and then 2 more bottles of gatorade on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess the fact that I am a predominatly slow cyclist. That and those stupid hills. And that stupid heat. And all those miles.

Event comments:

That was a long drive to make myself miserable. It was an even longer drive after making myself miserable. But I am glad I did it. I got a 75 mile ride under my belt. Well get my 2nd half ironman under my belt in 5 weeks.

Last updated: 2005-08-08 12:00 AM
Biking
04:26:00 | 75 miles | 16.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 75 miles around Possum Kingdom Lake. The first 20-25 miles was relatively flat and I was averaging around 20mph. Then things took a turn for the worse. That is when the hills started. More on that later.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard