General Discussion Triathlon Talk » re:heart flutter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-16 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: re:heart flutter
I read a article related to athletes resting heart rate that said some athletes can have the odd flutter in there heart when they are at rest due to there HR being so low, although it said there is nothing to worry about , i thought i would ask if any one has this happen to them?

Sarah 

2011-01-16 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3302563

User image

It is true, that a "slow heart beater" can have occasional "extra beats."  I used to get them sometimes, when my pulse was in the 40s.  When I asked about it, was told "no one dies from an "extra beat!" (i.e. ignore it).  An extra beat is very different from an arythmia, or  irregular heartbeat that may persist for some time (or even days) after a hard workout / long run.  If this is the case, get yourself checked out - even if you don't think it affects performance.  I got an A+ on my nuclear stress test, BUT I found out I have severe mitral valve reguritation and Afib (atrial fibrillation - basically a "usally irregular or somewhat random heartbeat); I am due for surgery soon for a hopeful permanent fix.  In the meantime I am taking cardizem to keep my heart rate below 90, and warfarin / coumadin to decrease risk of stroke or worse.  I can still do maintenance rate exercise (training for surgery), and at least my arteries are super clean.  I told some friends that I will write an article "From Half-Iron to Heart Surgery in Three Years" when I am "fixed."    

Bottom line is that an occasional flutter, with no other symptoms is probably OK (how much coffee that day?, etc.).  Recurring flutters or ANY other symptom suggests getting checked out by a cardiologist.  BTW I am a 53 year old male, and mitral valve issues are apparently more common for women.

John
2011-01-17 5:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
thanks John, i only ever get the odd flutter when i am at rest ie: my rhr is a bout 42, but i have notices if i have a lot of tea or coffee it can happen a couple of times a day, I have made a appointment with my with my GP.good luck with the surgery, look forward to reading the book. I am a 44 year old female.

Sarah 
2011-01-17 7:54 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
I get flutters and skip beats "tachycardia" or "PVCs" all the time (multiple times per day).  I have had my heart tested 15 ways to Sunday and they all come back negative.  It just happens.  As long as you have no other symptoms it's probably normal.

I find that taking extra magnesium helps to reduce the skip beats.
2011-01-17 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3303847

User image

Extreme Veteran
thank you for the feed back.x
2011-01-17 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Hi Sarah -

I get flutters and/or palpitations when I am dehydrated.  They seem to disappear if I am properly hydrated.

I am glad that you are getting it checked out, though.  Weird beats are nothing to mess with.

Steph

2011-01-17 12:20 PM

User image

Pro
I get them from time to time.  I did have mine checked out by my doc, just to make sure.  I have an intermittent PVC.  No, not the plastic piping, but a premature ventricular contraction.  It's an electrical thing. He said for people like me, there's no correlation with other problems and not to worry.  Could very well be an electrolyte imbalance.

But- I did get to set his clinic record on the cardiac stress test machine. 

If you're feeling something strange, and you have access to a doc that has an ekg machine- it's worth the time to get it checked out.  It's probably nothing, but ya' never know.
2011-01-17 12:40 PM

Try cutting back on the caffiene and hydrate more. 

If I intake coffee or energy drinks or what have you on an empty stomach I notice the same thing.  The guys at work call me Tweak when it happens (like the South Park character).  But if I eat right, hydrate, and watch how much coffee I have I'm fine.
2011-01-17 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
thanks to all of you, i do appreciate the feed back , i cut back on the caffeine yesterday and nothing , so far so good today, but as i said this only happens when i am at rest, will keep you posted on what the docs say.

Sarah 
2011-01-17 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Also watch the sodium loss. I had a time with this and found that I was losing too much salt. Been good since but definitly get checked by a DR. John.
2011-01-17 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
I get them, and I asked my doctor about them. I got the same response: nothing to worry about. But they always happen when I least expect it and it always startles me. It's such a weird sensation, like someone is inside my lungs.

I haven't figured out any rhyme or reason to why or when they happen for me. It doesn't seem to correspond with caffeine or exercise. Just random.

2011-01-17 7:32 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
This is coming from someone who had "harmless palpitations" for years and ended up in a worst case scenario (sudden cardiac arrest) while training, so I guess you can take this with a grain of salt...

99% of the times you feel palpitations and they are harmless. 99.9% of the doctors will tell you they are harmless without even doing much testing or analysis. But each year a very very small handful of people die in training or in events like triathlons or marathons. The reasons for people having dangerous heart issues range from blocked arteries to fatty infiltration or scarring of the heart muscle due to various reasons, to congental problems, to even mitral valve prolapse.

Most passive medical screenings done today will not detect some dangerous heart issues. Knowing what I know now, I would suggest a resting EKG, a graduated exercise stress test, a 24 hour (holter) monitor, and an echo. It is important to see that the palpitations are picked up on your tests. It might be important to know where the palpitations appear to be coming from (e.g. which ventricle and where), and if there is any correlation with what you might have been doing at the time. Yes, hydration and electrolytes are important, but sometimes this is very hard to control or manage if you are involved in a long race on a hot or humid day. It is very important to have a cardiologist who will not rubber stamp your results or relegate the interpretation to a PA or lab tech.

The good news is that, even in my worst case scenario, there are medications and medical treatments that can get even high risk people back on the road.

In your case, chances are very very good that there is nothing to worry about. Having a real heart problem is very very rare. But that does not mean you should skip the due diligence.
2011-01-18 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
thank you every one, I have the doctors on the 26th, i am not taking this lightly, being a cancer survivor i feel the need to be on top of any wee thing that happens more than once.

Sarah 
2011-01-18 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3306211

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Sarah,

Congratualtions on being a cancer survivor, bet that was the toughes road yet, my best wishes to you for continued good health.
Now in relation to the heart flutters (had a thread about it about a month or so ago) I had them for 3 or more days and it was always when I got into bed that I noticed them, very strange beats, would skip then flutter then speed up, just weird. I did end up going to the doc and he had an EKG in the office, very easy to check, naturally my heart was almost better by then but he did catch a small anomoly but used some fancy word I can't remember and said it was benign. Since then I've had no problems, I don't know why they started to begin with but I've upped my daily calories and am more mindful of hydrating and so far so good. The doc visit will give you peace of mind, you don't want to be worrying about it.

Patsy
2011-01-18 4:14 PM

User image

Regular
I have heart flutters, too, from time to time.  I'm seeing a cardiologist tomorrow for something else, but will definitely mention this to him just to make sure it's nothing to worry about.  Like someone else said, it startles me more than anything but better to mention it and it be nothing than to let it go. 
2011-01-20 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just a quick update, cut back on the caffeine as of sunday , went from 4 cups of tea and couple of coffees, too 2 cups of tea and 2 cups of decaf and no more flutters, still seeing my doc next week, but , not as worried,
thanks for all the advice and feed back you guys are great.

Sarah 

2011-01-20 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3310929

New user
years ago when I was sitting on my butt, drinking 7-8 cans of mountain dew a day and smoking 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day I had heart flutters all the time. I quit smoking and after 5 months I still had the heart flutters. I cut out caffeine and within 2 weeks my heart flutters went away. So I started smoking again. just kidding.
2011-01-20 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3302847

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I get them when I look at the Girls of BT thread on COJ....
2011-01-20 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3311374

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

ejshowers - 2011-01-20 12:20 PM I get them when I look at the Girls of BT thread on COJ....

Very grown up...

My husband had a heart flutter that wouldn't stop on a vacation in Hawaii after a long dehydrating bike ride and too many energy drinks.   After 8 hours in the Kona ER (can't recommend that) they converted it to a normal rhythm.  12 months, many tests, too many copays and bills (can you believe the hospital in Kona was "out of network"? ha) and he now takes daily medication.  Prior to this, he said it's never lasted and was only an occasional thing and he thought common. 

The risk is that an irregular heart beat could throw a clot and cause a stroke.  I am sure there are many reasons for "my heart is fluttering", that is just one example.    But even if you experience this, and it's not caused by a long-term condition, it's serious.   I hope the DR visit goes well and it's truly "no big deal."

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2011-01-20 12:53 PM
2011-01-20 3:43 PM

New user
I was getting a little flutter especially after swimming. Did the Dr. thing and they said no big deal. Keep an eye on it, reduce the caffine and your good to go.(thats what they said) I have noticed, as I have been seriously slacking this winter, I have had no flutters at all and normal if not higher caffine. Before my rhr was 35-50. Can't draw any conclusions but thats what I have observed.
best to all
dgwelsh
2011-01-21 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3305264

Expert
JohnP_NY - 2011-01-17 8:32 PM

This is coming from someone who had "harmless palpitations" for years and ended up in a worst case scenario (sudden cardiac arrest) while training, so I guess you can take this with a grain of salt...

99% of the times you feel palpitations and they are harmless. 99.9% of the doctors will tell you they are harmless without even doing much testing or analysis. But each year a very very small handful of people die in training or in events like triathlons or marathons. The reasons for people having dangerous heart issues range from blocked arteries to fatty infiltration or scarring of the heart muscle due to various reasons, to congental problems, to even mitral valve prolapse.

Most passive medical screenings done today will not detect some dangerous heart issues. Knowing what I know now, I would suggest a resting EKG, a graduated exercise stress test, a 24 hour (holter) monitor, and an echo. It is important to see that the palpitations are picked up on your tests. It might be important to know where the palpitations appear to be coming from (e.g. which ventricle and where), and if there is any correlation with what you might have been doing at the time. Yes, hydration and electrolytes are important, but sometimes this is very hard to control or manage if you are involved in a long race on a hot or humid day. It is very important to have a cardiologist who will not rubber stamp your results or relegate the interpretation to a PA or lab tech.

The good news is that, even in my worst case scenario, there are medications and medical treatments that can get even high risk people back on the road.

In your case, chances are very very good that there is nothing to worry about. Having a real heart problem is very very rare. But that does not mean you should skip the due diligence.

Hate to hijack the OP thread but, John, glad to hear you survived. Can you fill us in on what the doctors found out about your situation, any underlying condition? having had a close relative, who was an outstanding runner, die after finishing a 10k race, I follow every article and thread on sudden cardiac arrest.

2011-01-22 4:18 PM

Expert
Yes, me too, very low RHR, flutters set off by too much caffeine, fatigue, and sometimes swimming (due to horizontal position?)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » re:heart flutter Rss Feed