General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockford YMCA Triathlon Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rockford YMCA Triathlon Experience - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Rockford, IL
United States
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 23s
Overall Rank = 119/128
Age Group = 31-35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45, had a bagel and orange juice. Went to pick up my packet.
Event warmup:

Dad lives along the bike course and only 2 miles from the start of the race, so rode to the event as a warmup. Of course after picking up my packet, not much warming up after that except for a little in the water to get used to swimming in green.
Swim
  • 10m 48s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the second row of people and realized the two people in front of me were swimming too slow so I picked a line between them, burried my head and swam hard for the small gap between them. Bumped the woman on the left then the guy on the right (didn't bump them hard) and the moved enough for me to get buy.

Swam hard the first 100 yards then settled into a more relaxed pace. By the time I reached the turn around I had tired out on freestyle and swithced to breast stroke and still kept a good pace.
What would you do differently?:

Didn't swim smoothly as I was trying to hard to swim fast and think I ended up plowing through the water with shorter and choppy strokes instead of taking longer smooth strokes and cutting through the water.
Transition 1
  • 04m 18s
Comments:

Out of the water, once I cleared the sand and hit the bike path to the transition area I was wiped coming out of the water. Ran through the sand by walked the rest of the way to the Transition area.

Had a water bottle and towel just for washing sand off the feet and drying.

Bike was against the fence and my dad was there chatting as I got ready and then told me to get a move one. Wife was there to hand me chap stick for my eyebrows.

After thought: It was more mental than anything and I could have at least had a slow jog.

Be better prepared mentally to job from the swim to the T-area.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 8s
  • 17.7 miles
  • 15.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal on the bike was to take the hills fairly easy then hit the big gears and really work the downhills for speed and try to maintain that into the flats and carry as much speed as possible into the next hill.

Most hills required downshifting to 2nd or 3rd gear, but did manage to get over a few in 5th or 6th gear.

At this point of training, I wouldn't have done anything different.

Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

A guy who was racked next to me, was standing near is bike, and was already done with the race. Told him, "YOU SUCK!!!" Of course I said it with a smile.

Speed laces might have help with time, otherwise I was pretty happy as it WAS my FIRST race.
Run
  • 41m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was listed as 4 miles. Was told in T2 that is was 3 miles, then heard it was 3.5 miles, so didn't know who was full of shit so planned on a 4 mile run. Based on my run time and pace it came out to 3.1 miles.

Plan was to run 5 minutes/walk 1 minute till the legs loosened up then increase the running time and keep the 1 minute walk when necessary. My ASS, HAMSTRINGS and CALVES had different plans. After the turn it felt like I left my ASS and HAMSTRINGS on the course and as I came to the finish line my THIGHS fell off.

Ended up walking a lot more then I wanted to.

Again, probably mostly mental here: Focus on taking longer strides instead of trudging to try and loosen the legs.
Post race
Warm down:

Kiss the wife and child, hug the dad, get some water, gatorade, banana, bread.

Walk around to keep things moving, chat with others I met before the race.

Home to dad for corn on the cob and brats.....stretch of course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience and mental toughness.

Event comments:

First Tri, so was happy overall. First goal was to have FUN!!!!

Time goal 1) 2:15:00 - beat that
Time goal 2) 2:05:00 - Had I known the run was 3.1 miles and not 4 I probably would have pushed harder, knowing that I had a chance to hit this one.
B-HAG (Big Hairy Ass Goal) 2:00:00 - Knew after the swim that this one was already out of reach. At least I had a B-HAG in mind had I had I had a faster swim time and T1 time.

Happy to have done it and looking forward to the Lake Geneva SPRINT on Sept 10th.

Last updated: 2005-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:48 | 440 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 67/128
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: Simple out and back in the 'retention' pond (lake) of a large subdivision.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:18
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:08 | 17.7 miles | 15.36 mile/hr
Overall: 0/128
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly course on on country roads. Course open to traffic but intersections were controlled by local cops so we could fly thought two-way stop intersection and not lose momentum.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:41:19 | 03.1 miles | 13m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 0/128
Performance:
Course: Out and back along the subdivision bike/walk path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-09 7:51 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: Rockford YMCA Triathlon Experience

2005-08-09 11:10 AM
in reply to: #220189

User image

Veteran
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Rockford YMCA Triathlon Experience
Awesome job Ty!  You did GREAT! 
2005-08-09 9:16 PM
in reply to: #220189

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Subject: RE: Rockford YMCA Triathlon Experience
Way to go Ty! By the way, why did you need Chapstik for your eyebrows? Is it some secret tri trick to be faster on the bike?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockford YMCA Triathlon Experience Rss Feed