General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learned the hard way not to come back too soon after being sick Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-25 6:34 AM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Subject: Learned the hard way not to come back too soon after being sick
I was sick all weekend with a head cold and general weakness. So obviously I didn't train all weekend.  I felt a lot better yesterday morning, but still planned to take the day off.  I skipped my morning pool session. But by the time the evening rolled around I was feeling a lot better, not quite 100% but figured I was fine.  I did a 50 minute trainer session and it went really well, heart rate was higher than normal but just attributed that to still recovering from sickness. 
Well, then night time rolled around. Woke up at 3 am, feeling like crap, throat full of gunk, coughing bad, completely unable to get back to sleep. And now here I am with a full on chest cold. 
Lesson:  Don't rush back into training.  You miss more time by rushing back and getting sick again than just letting the thing pass entirely.

2011-01-25 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3319783

User image

Regular
Henderson
Subject: RE: Learned the hard way not to come back too soon after being sick
I was sick all last week with Bronchitis.  Monday and Tuesday I felt like crap. Took the whole week off from activity/excercise.  Went to the Dr Wednesday and got a Zpack and some cough med.  I laid on the couch for the next 5 days, yep 5.  Monday I got right back to it with a short bike ride and today a short 5 mile run.  The exercise makes me cough more but I feel ok otherwise.  Tomorrow I will swim hopefully it will be easier on the lungs.

Hope you get better soon.  It sucks not to be able to get activity in.

Take care!!
2011-01-26 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3319783

User image

Madison, WI
RookieIM - 2011-01-25 6:34 AM I was sick all weekend with a head cold and general weakness. So obviously I didn't train all weekend.  I felt a lot better yesterday morning, but still planned to take the day off.  I skipped my morning pool session. But by the time the evening rolled around I was feeling a lot better, not quite 100% but figured I was fine.  I did a 50 minute trainer session and it went really well, heart rate was higher than normal but just attributed that to still recovering from sickness. 
Well, then night time rolled around. Woke up at 3 am, feeling like crap, throat full of gunk, coughing bad, completely unable to get back to sleep. And now here I am with a full on chest cold. 
Lesson:  Don't rush back into training.  You miss more time by rushing back and getting sick again than just letting the thing pass entirely.

Just be glad it's only January and you have until 3/27 for your first scheduled race.  I had to take a week of (except for two minor strength sessions) from Christmas Day to Jan 2.  I'm better for it.  Look on the bright side.  Any recovery that was needed for your muscles or minor injuries will get a little extra time to heal.

Bonus story:  Last December/January I was really cranking on my off-season workouts trying to carry a lot of fitness through to back to back Ironman seasons.  On January 10, 2010 I had a terrible table saw accident and it kept me from training for 3 weeks straight since there was major artery damage.  It turned out to be a blessing and a curse.  First the curse:  I ALMOST CUT OFF A FINGER!  Blessing: I didn't see the injuries building in my body that 3 weeks off helped prevent from getting worse and limiting my season.

Hope you feel better and good luck this year! 
2011-01-26 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3322876

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Dear god, I'll take a minor cold over anything resembling, "a terrible table saw accident."  But the delay till my first big race is helpful.  The first race is really short, so I'm not overly concerned about it either.  I just didn't have much of an off season with getting married in october and moving and starting a new job in november.  Then spending the first month in my new city trying to find a permanent place to live.  Didn't have a gym and didn't know anywhere to run, so my fitness definitely took a dive. It was just frustrating that I finally got back into a rhythm and then got hit with a sickness.  Oh well, next week starts anew.  and thanks for the well wishes!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learned the hard way not to come back too soon after being sick Rss Feed