General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diagnosed with tendinitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-09 3:03 PM

User image

Norfolk
Subject: Diagnosed with tendinitis
Saturday morning after 3 miles I could not stretch my leg without falling over, so I went to the doc and she said tendinitis in the ankle....she also said to stop doing what it was that made it hurt....i am bummed because my first tri is in 6 weeks and I want to keep training, but I really don't want to run the risk of rupturing anything if I continue to train....any thoughts?

Brad

2005-08-09 3:41 PM
in reply to: #220882

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Diagnosed with tendinitis
Bradford - 2005-08-09 4:03 PMSaturday morning after 3 miles I could not stretch my leg without falling over, so I went to the doc and she said tendinitis in the ankle....she also said to stop doing what it was that made it hurt....i am bummed because my first tri is in 6 weeks and I want to keep training, but I really don't want to run the risk of rupturing anything if I continue to train....any thoughts?Brad

I'm sitting here with three injuries.  Bah, humbug.  So here are my thoughts.

Ramping up training intensity/mileage is really important.  Really.  Why do I always start out to fast and go too far?  Because I think I can.  But really I can't if I have to take a couple of weeks off for tendonitis.  Learn this lesson now, young one, because tendonitis is always lurking waiting to get us.

Ice is your friend.  Put ice on it for fifteen minutes at a time at least three times a day.  Ibuprofin helps.

Stretch it.   Rest it.   Have fun swimming and be thankful you're a triathlete instead of just a runner.

I hope this helps.

Gwendal
2005-08-09 3:49 PM
in reply to: #220882

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Diagnosed with tendinitis

I'm recovering from tendonitis in my foot right now.  My doc said the same thing, but there was no way I was going to be that passive about it so I asked her to refer me to a physical therapist. 

I've been doing PT twice a week for a little over a week now and it's already improved to where I don't notice it when walking at all.  She does a bunch of soft tissue work each time (hurts like hell) and has given me some excercises for stregthening to address the muscle weakness that caused it in the first place.  Also, a lot of ibuprofen and ice and recommended. 

Anyhow, my point is that I would have your doctor refer you to a physical therapist so that you can get back into running shape - stopping running for a few weeks may make it feel better, but it won't address the biomechanical issue that caused it in the first place and you'll risk re-injuring yourself.  It's good to work with someone who knows something about sports injuries.  My PT thinks I can start running again next week - woohoo!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diagnosed with tendinitis Rss Feed