General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low GI (Glycemic index) diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-02 12:17 PM

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: Low GI (Glycemic index) diet
There are a number of diets out there that are based on low GI food consumption.  I decided to give it a try using a GI food chart & common sense.  After going thru initial climb-the-walls cravings for sugar & refined carbs, I found that I got an increase in energy levels.  This result was totally counter-intuitive.  Anybody else experience similar results?

2011-02-02 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3335379

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Low GI (Glycemic index) diet
I don't follow a low GI "diet" per se, but do try to generally choose low GI options and minimize high GI options in general.  I'd guess low GI foods are giving more even, sustained energy and you are avoiding the spike/crash of high glycemic foods.
2011-02-02 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
I'm not super hardcore about it these days, but I've been on a low GI type diet for about 5 years.  Works great for me.  The biggest downside is that it's just harder.  Lots of shopping, lots of cooking (I had to learn how to cook...), can't really eat much at most restaurants (and forget fast food).  It's tough to keep enough fresh fruits and veggies in the house all the time, especially when training a lot and mowing through the food...

I had massive headaches for the first few weeks way back when, but I got over it.  I still have a few cups of coffee/day, but haven't had a soda in years. 

The good news is that it eventually just becomes normal.  I don't really think about it much anymore, I just gravitate towards the foods that are better choices.  I used to carry a little book around with me and reference it all the time, now I just know from experience and common sense.
2011-02-02 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
I try to eat a low on the GI.  I eat a ton of lean protein. I eat salads almost daily. All the veggies we eat are low in the GI. I don't eat a lot of fruit or foods thar are highly processed. The one exception is Pure protein bars. I tend to eat a couple of those a day and Larabars. When I make smoothies I generally only use berries and soy milk with a soy protein powder.

It really isn't that hard  once you have made the transition and committed to it. I recover so much better when I eat a high protein, low GI diet. It is what works best for me and my life style. I don't eat out much. When I do, it is generally a salad with lean protein.

I eat for fuel. Not for fun.
2011-02-02 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Man, those headaches were brutal, I went through those about a year ago!!! I read a book from Dr. Maffetone "In Fitness and in Health" that I felt got me going on the right track, a year later....I've never felt better in my life!!!
2011-02-03 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Been doing this for about 3 years now.  Lots of success all around.

2011-02-03 9:30 AM

Veteran
Yes, I followed a low GI diet very strictly for 9 weeks at the insistence of my doctor and had great results.  However, once I fell off the wagon, it's been super tough to get back on it, because it is so strict (I also eliminated wheat.)

But it definitely works.  I lost weight, felt great, and my health numbers improved dramatically, even just in 9 weeks.

Edited by ersmith29 2011-02-03 9:30 AM
2011-02-03 9:49 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
I don't follow a diet, I just have worked on developing better eating habits and I advice the same to my athletes. I tend to eat wholes food like fruit, veggies but I also eat grains, lean protein and non-saturated fat. (and sometimes I indulge in my favorite food whether 'healthy or not'). Still, when we eat we usually blend stuff. i.e. a dinner meal might include a portion of rice which is high GI with veggies, salad and lean protein, the mix of it all reduces the GI load.

Also high GI food is desirable during and post training to restore your glycogen levels quicker. There are some cultures who consume more high GI foods with no problems, while others do the opposite, mostly related to their environment (what they have available). The key seems to be balance, whole foods and also, their activity levels. IMO a simple nutrient dense and balanced diet should be the goal for most endurance athletes. Things in extremes tend to be bad, even training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low GI (Glycemic index) diet Rss Feed