General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for staying motivated in cold weather Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-03 3:00 PM

Subject: Tips for staying motivated in cold weather
Hi-
I am signed up for my first triathlon in June. It is an Olympic distance so I have plenty of time to prepare, and while it seems so far away, I do want to take all the time I have so I am not the last one to finish. However, living in Chicago, it is so hard to be motivated to run and bike indoors all the time. Any tips for keeping on track and not skipping workouts during a long winter?

2011-02-03 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3337849

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Tips for staying motivated in cold weather
However much you may hate hearing this.... run outside!  Bundle up (it takes time but you'll learn what to wear) and have fun!  I went running yesterday (albeit on the street because the snow was waist deep on the sidewalk) and had a blast!  The only thing that will keep me from running outside is a wind chill advisor for fear of frostbite.

For biking, try doing intervals.  They help the time pass.

Focus on your goal and have fun.  Thats the key, if it isn't fun, why are you doing it?
2011-02-03 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3337852

User image

Central Oregon
menglo - 2011-02-03 1:03 PM However much you may hate hearing this.... run outside!  Bundle up (it takes time but you'll learn what to wear) and have fun!  I went running yesterday (albeit on the street because the snow was waist deep on the sidewalk) and had a blast!  The only thing that will keep me from running outside is a wind chill advisor for fear of frostbite.

For biking, try doing intervals.  They help the time pass.

Focus on your goal and have fun.  Thats the key, if it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Great advice right there. This is what I wear when it's cold- thermal tights, wool running socks, cold weather cycling gloves, fleece hat, long sleeve performance shirt and a soft shell barrier jacket. A lot of times I end up taking off the hat and gloves, so it's nice to have the back pockets of the cycling jacket.

2011-02-03 5:02 PM

User image

Elite

x3  I echo the advice above

I would do what you may have just started doing, be active on this site, watch videos on youtube etc...it may get you motivated to see that other people are getting out there in similar conditions, plus if you watch races it may be a kick in the butt to get the workout in....it at least works for me....my weakness is getting into the pool when its snowing and 10 deg out, but I think about that person that is training and I am thinking about sitting on my butt...so I just get there and get the workout in......also i would feel worse later knowing I missed a workout than I would be doing the workout.......you are not alone in this feeling, but you cannot give in to it!!!! good luck
2011-02-03 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3337852

User image

Regular
Yep, run outside.  There's no bad weather, only bad clothing.  Truthfully, you can even run outside when there is risk of frostbite.  You just cover everything you can, and use vaseline on exposed skin.  Seriously.

-10c (14f) is just about my favourite temperature to run in, but I've run in temps as cold as -30c (-22f) without problem.  That's about where my cut off is, but if I was willing to spend money on better running clothes, I could go even colder.
2011-02-03 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3338132

User image

Central Oregon
_Deb_ There's no bad weather, only bad clothing.

This quote may end up on facebook or in my signature.

2011-02-03 6:40 PM

User image

My local Y has a winter running series.  The have a 5K in December, January, and February.  I have found this to be a great motivator because there is something else to train for besides events that aren't happening until June.  We ran through 6 inches of snow in December and it was only 5 degrees in January, but it was still a lot of fun to get outside and run in a competitive format.

I am sure you could find lots of races like these in the Chicago area.  You can fit them right into your training schedule and it will provide you some added motivation.
2011-02-03 8:09 PM

User image

New user
I feel for you...38 years of living in IL and then last six months living in TN..2 inches one day gone the next.  Snow shoe running is a great workout for outside, the running type shoes.  A 30 minute workout is crazy. 
2011-02-04 6:33 AM
in reply to: #3338348

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-02-04 7:26 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for staying motivated in cold weather Rss Feed