General Discussion Triathlon Talk » winter training and ICE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-03 3:04 PM

New user
Central Minnesota
Subject: winter training and ICE
Hello fellow athletes,  Last night I was out for my scheduled  training run for Grandmas marathon, I was on my 6 mile pace  run, and everything was going perfect, half mile from home I decided to bump the pace up , and do sort of a sprint the rest of the way home,  without warning, I hit a patch of ice, my left ankle turned inward, and  I was down for the count ...felt like I was struck by lightning, I was in pain, and no way could stand or walk at the point. It was 8 pm, dark outside on  a country road, with my house being the closest for help, no cell phone with, and  - 5 , I knew i better get moving, I started crawling on the side of the road towards home about 100 feet or so I saw car lights coming, I stood up  ,  and tried to balance on my right foot and began to flag down the vehicle and  thank God he saw me,  The gentleman assisted me into his pickup, and gave me a ride home, My wife assisted me into the house, and after a few minutes of gathering my thoughts, I decided to make a ER visit, I was very worried I broke something, as I have never witnessed a popping noise with a twisted ankle  on my body before.  The swelling was about the size of a baseball by the time I arrived at the hospital.  The DR. on duty was nice, but older, and by know means a athlete, he ordered x-rays, and was happy to report back to me , that he did not see anything to alarming  ( I hope he is right)  sent me home with orders of r.e.s.t , vicoden , and stated it was  a severe sprain, and may take weeks to get better...oh great !   This is a long post, but I  feel it is worthy of a few good points , and hope it may help others some day to make good decisions .  1) Consider cell phones on night runs or anytime for that matter. 2) let spouse or someone know what time you should be back, and let someone know your set route you will be on. 3) remember Ice  sucks to run on.       Here I am sitting at home with a hugely swollen left ankle, and wondering what my next steps for recovery should be, If anyone has ANY info that may help me out,,,,I'm asking for your kindness in replies!   This year at Grandmas marathon , for the first time I was going to be running with  my Daughter and son in law, and my wife is training for the half,with the hopes of winning a lottery position pick.   I  have never had a injury to this extent, nothing that has side lined me longer than a week anyways,,   thanks for any help in advance,    Jim

2011-02-03 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3337853

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: winter training and ICE

Hey Jim.  I am so sorry that you're hurt!  I would hate to be in that situation, so I can get your anguish - on top of actual pain.  Yikes.

I will add one other possible idea to your list.  I have a mylar sleeping bag, made from material like the blankets after a big race.  It's about the size of bar soap when folded.  I bought it with the intent to take it on very cold runs for fear of the same situation you describe.  I haven't brought it along often, and haven't ever had to use it (thankfully) but I think it's a good idea.  Just another idea.  I agree - I never do any speed stuff on wintery runs and am very careful about letting my plans known.  I also don't go anywhere remote. I don't bring a cell phone, which is why I stay in the city near people/businesses.

I think you're really far from the marathon and have a lot of time to get back in the game.  Take it easy and consider visiting a sports doc (i.e. at Tria, if possible) for advice and possibly physical therapy. 

Good luck!

2011-02-04 2:14 AM

New user
Central Minnesota
Thanks for the ideas  , and you are right, speed work and winter like road conditions do not mix so well.  funny , all the miles I have ran, and never had this problem before, luck ran out! Its about 2 30 am , and the pain is so bad right now, feels like a  constant throb  .  elevation and ice helps a lot,but find it hard to sleep in any position right now. Thanks again, Jim
2011-02-05 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Yaktrax are amazing especially in MN.  I will very rarely lose my footing on ice when running in them.

You may also look into a head lamp of sorts if you are running later at night to help you spot that ice, or flag someone down if you would need it ever again.

As for your ankle, that sucks!  I sprained my ankle playing kickball a few years back in the middle of the summer and was so angry that it was going to prevent me from training and racing.  I go to a chiropractor every once in a while, and mentioned it to her, she was able to pop it back into normal place, I still had the strained ligament that took a bit of time to heal, but after she adjusted it, I was walking normal and even able to swim/cycle again, running easily about a week later. 
2011-02-05 9:02 PM

New user
Central Minnesota
Jeff, I have just recently looked into some  night light options, and the foot trax thing would be fun to try.   I did go to my chiropractor, former state wrestling champ, and has a ton of experience with sprained ankles , today we did a massage, and ultra sound/heat therapy, I was able to apply some pressure on the foot, and I did walk for 15 min  at a time , without help. I should be running lightly in a week or so, I will continue to be aggressive with therapy, I do not do good with down time....thanks , Jim
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » winter training and ICE Rss Feed