General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Labral Tear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-05 10:44 PM

Subject: Hip Labral Tear
I really need advice. I have been having this crazy phantom pain in my right front thigh (tight and knawing) which eventually became unbearable pain in my right hip for the last 9 months. I went to a thousand doctors and was finally diagnosed with hip bursitis. After several cortisone shots to the hip bursa my doctor had my MRI reexamined and it was found that I have a labral tear in my right hip. 

I went to go see Dr. Boettner this past week at HSS. He has done a tone of research on labral tears, studied under Phillipon and is now known as one of the best doctors at HSS for labral tears. He took a look at my MRI and said the tear really didn't look too bad but that most adults have a tear of this nature at around my age (26). He also felt that the type of pain I had was weird and uncharacteristic of a labral tear and he is very skeptical to do surgery (which I kind of understand). He did send me for a fluoroscopic guided injection yesterday which cured me of the pain almost immediately. Of course this is a good sign because it proves that all of my pain is a result of the tear. 

I guess I'm just wondering how I can suggest to my doctor that he does an MRI with dye to take a better look at the tear. I don't want to step on his toes, but I have been reading plenty of online postings that detail situations where a regular MRI did not show a labral tear well and once surgery is completed it is discovered that the tear was very serious. I'm skeptical the the injection will last very long and even if it does last a few months I really don't want to live the greater part of my young adult life going to HSS for injections. 

I know this sounds crazy but I just really want this surgery so bad. Before this injury I was very active in bikram yoga (attended 3-4 times a week) and now I can barely go out shopping or to a bar with my friends for longer than an hour. Sometimes I feel like I can't even get out of bed. I'm young and I want to be pain free so that I can go back to living a normal 26 year old life. Any suggestions. 

Also I would love to hear stories from anyone else who has had a similar situation with a hip labral tear. Also anyone out there who had pain in the front thigh? 

2011-02-06 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3341155

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Hip Labral Tear
Have you gone through PT? That helped me tremendously--enough that while I do have some discomfort, it's not to the point where I have to reduce my training volume anymore.

He's right, really...a hip scope isn't like a knee scope. The number of surgeons who are "good" ad them is small (Phillippon is one)...but even in the hands of a great surgeon, many folks are never the same after. It really should be a last resort.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Labral Tear Rss Feed