General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone try this yet? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-09 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Anyone try this yet?
   I am always changing my training schedule.  I just thought the other day, wouldn't it be simple to just swim/bike/run one day, take a day off, and then do it again, etc, etc?  It seems like a lot of weeks I start out great and then miss a day of running or biking and then my minutes for those are down and my training schedule is out of proportion.  So I was thinking this would have to be the simplest way to go.  Obviously, however, I would not be able to go ultra long distances, but wouldn't I get really good at doing tris? 
   What are your thoughts?
          -is it feasable to to an olympic tri three times a week (at a slower pace to begin with)? 
          -Sometimes I wonder why I even go out to run when in a real triathlon, I would ALWAYS be 
           running on tired legs.
          -What are the pros, cons of this typ of training?  Anyone try it before?

2011-02-09 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3347848

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Anyone try this yet?
While I agree with the sentiment that triathlon is it's own sport, and not simply a 'pasting together' of three different sports, it does not follow that the way to get good at triathlon is to do s/b/r every day that you train.

I do my fair share of s/b/r days just to get in all the training that I want to do, but there are days when you need to be more focused on one of the disciplines, and 'train the run as a runner would' or 'train the swim as a swimmer would', etc.  IMO, for example, a day where you do a 5 hour hard bike ride (to take an extreme example) is not normally a day where you should worry about running or swimming.  It is unlikely that a run or a swim on that day is going to have much positive effect on our fitness (for most of us).  If you s/b/r every day that you train, I think you're destined to be mediocre at all three disciplines, which I suppose is a joke that has some measure of truth to it, but it doesn't have to.
2011-02-09 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
1) Do you really have time to do all three, at the right distance/effort, every day you train?

2) The reason we space out training is so that we can give a good focused effort, rest, then have a good focused effort in one of the other disciplines.  If you do all three then you'll have a good focused effort at the first, slightly less with the second then a half-hearted effort on the third.  Even if you rotate the order you train each, you're only going to get a quality workout in every third training day for each discipline. 

3) If you train with tired legs all the time how will you get strong enough to get faster?
2011-02-09 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3347957

User image

Elite
Experior - 2011-02-09 8:48 PMWhile I agree with the sentiment that triathlon is it's own sport, and not simply a 'pasting together' of three different sports, it does not follow that the way to get good at triathlon is to do s/b/r every day that you train.

I do my fair share of s/b/r days just to get in all the training that I want to do, but there are days when you need to be more focused on one of the disciplines, and 'train the run as a runner would' or 'train the swim as a swimmer would', etc.  IMO, for example, a day where you do a 5 hour hard bike ride (to take an extreme example) is not normally a day where you should worry about running or swimming.  It is unlikely that a run or a swim on that day is going to have much positive effect on our fitness (for most of us).  If you s/b/r every day that you train, I think you're destined to be mediocre at all three disciplines, which I suppose is a joke that has some measure of truth to it, but it doesn't have to.[/QUOTEX2. Not much more to add other than I think it is ok to do a s/b/r workout but as above should not be main focus

Edited by FELTGood 2011-02-09 9:16 PM
2011-02-10 12:42 AM

User image

If you only have 3 days to train...and you can only work out during one stretch of time (meaning you can't work out in the morning and evening) then hey...do what you gotta do.  But it's far from ideal for the reasons mentioned above.

In all honesty...you might be better off by not training one sport at all per week.  Such as focusing only on bike/run one week...then run/swim the next...then swim/bike the third week.  At least you'll get more quality time in each sport. 

I know some time crunch people who are good swimmers, that will just train the bike and run for 2-3 months...then jump in the pool 3 times a couple weeks before a race and be fine.  Will they race to their potential...of course not...but they will probably race better than trying to do s/b/r bricks on every training day.

Just my 2 cents...everyone's different.

2011-02-10 4:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks, these are great suggestions.  Yes, the main reason I wanted to try it was because I only have a few days a week to train and in those cases I have huge gaps of time.  Two-a-days don't work for me right now.  But I can see how I would only be mediocre at each.  I might try the focusing on only two disciplines for a week, then switch for the next week.  Thanks again.

2011-02-10 5:10 AM
in reply to: #3348186

User image

New Haven, CT

I work 60-80 hrs week (sometimes more), have 2 little kids, night meetigns, etc..  here is what i "try" to do each week:

Sunday: long run (starting at or pre dawn), 9:00 AM- take kids to gym, swim for 1-1.5 hrs, take kids swiming, take kids out to lunch, home for family stuff.
Monday: early am 4-5, 1-2 ride on trainer.  lunch: 30 minute run
Tuesday: 30 minute run at lunch
Wednesday: 1-2 hr ride early AM, 30 minute run at lunch
Thursday: at gym when it opens at 5:30 AM for a 30-1:00 swim, either spin class after swim or lift; lunch 30 minute run
Friday:  early AM: :30-1:00 ride;  lunch: spin class, run or pilates class
Saturday: early AM run, at gym with kids at 9:00, :30 swim, spin class

Inevitably life gets in the way and I miss 1-2 workout per week, which is why i have no planned day off.   i am always reshuffling workouts.  i really try and identify a key work out per week in each sport and make sure to do that workout, everything else is just a fill in.  as swimming is my best sport that gets a bit neglected until a month or so before racing starts. 

Its hard and a drag, I sometime find myself dragging myself onto the trainer at 4AM.  i really have trouble working out after work as i like putting the kids to bed and once i lay down, i'm toast!  Just keep experimenting and you will find something that works.  make sure you have a trainer and access to a treadmill and can feel comfortable not rigidly following a plan. The hardest part is that it is very hard to maximize your ability when you are time pressed.  good luck

Edited by jsklarz 2011-02-10 5:13 AM
2011-02-10 8:24 AM

Regular
Agree with what the others have already said.  Not something I would do on a regular basis as you need to focus most workouts on a specific disiplin - quality over quantity.

Now that being said, I do 95% of the time after a "focused" swim workout I will go for a short run as well as about 30-50% of the time run after a bike workout.  These are shorter runs 3-6 miles and the quality of these runs are usually not the best, but it allows me to get a few more runs in each week that I wouldn't normally do.  I classify these as my junk miles as they really are not training specific runs....just running to keep the legs moving and trying to run more days per week.

Not saying it's right or wrong....just what I do.
2011-02-10 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3348385

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
If you're running directly off the bike then you're doing a brick which absolutely is a specific and quality workout.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone try this yet? Rss Feed