General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I return the Mavic Carbones? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-10 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: Should I return the Mavic Carbones?
I got this wheelset (Carbones SLs) for Christmas. The 30 days to return it is up soon (I got it in January), and I got it at a pretty good deal. 

I've been reading and reading and the reviews for the Carbones are all over the place. I read them before I got them, and I'm still reading them.   I'm not sure if it's really worth it for me now, and I'm getting a pang of regrets. 

Are the Carbones worth it? I can only see myself doing Sprints and Olympics. MAYBE a HIM, but not in 2011 though.  

I got these because I wanted a good aero wheelset that will be very sturdy for training rides and racing which I've read everywhere that it's very durable in all situations. 

I'm no means a strong cyclist. I am not that great on hills. 

Should I give up my Carbones and get a better wheelset? Perhaps something that will be better with climbing since Vegas is all about hills.

What I've been reading is the aero advantage of the Carbones will only gain you about .5 to 1 mph speed difference, and it doesn't do well on hills (I haven't noticed the difference on the one time that I rode...it was the ENGINE that sucked...not the wheels).  Which seems like it doesn't do much for Sprints/Oly tris. 

Any advice and any recommendations for another wheelset (has slight aero - seriously, I want it better than my old Alexx 289's), and better for climbing.  

Thanks

Edited by CyborgQueen 2011-02-10 4:04 PM

2011-02-10 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3349357

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Should I return the Mavic Carbones?
the toroidal shaped wheels (Zipps, flashpoints, SRAM) are a bit better in crosswind conditions.  I thought that the pointy aero wheels were pretty close in light or head-on winds. 

the carbones are pretty cool looking, and it's mostly about looks, right?

Body position, and aero helmet and perhaps a skin suit will all make more of a difference than the difference beween the Carbones and any other wheelset.  Hell, a pair of shoe covers would probably make the same difference.
2011-02-10 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
If you are racing tri's, think only about aero, do not think about weight.  The weight difference between super light and super aero might save 10's of seconds (if that) but the aero difference will cost you on the order of minute(s).

That being said, Carboones are aero, but not the best bang for your buck aero.  Torroidal shaped rims (Zipp, Hed, Flashpoint, Sram, and soon to be Flo) are what you really want (or a tri spoke up front).  There's data out there to prove they really are faster.  You really only need a front wheel - a wheelbuilder cover for about $100 on your current wheel is better than a medium depth aero wheel in back.   If you want a set to ride everyday, any set from one of those manufacturers will hold up to everyday use.  The reason people don't ride them every day is the risk of a crash/accident (wreck a $100 wheel instead of $1000) and/or for that "something special" to pull out on raceday.  Used is a very good option too...more patience and a little risk is required though.  Personally, I wouldn't buy a race wheel that isn't a tri spoke or torroidal shaped for the front (and I have a powertap laced to a regular rim+wheelcover for back).

ETA: the grams you'll save for a lighter wheel for climbing (i.e. same aero-ness but lighter) is very overrated, unless you are grasping for seconds over a race (or in training).  Stopping to pee at the bottom of a hill on everyday rides would save just as much weight

Edited by jsiegs 2011-02-10 5:34 PM
2011-02-10 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
I'm not worried about the weight, that doesn't bother me. It's whether it's worth it or not. 

Good point about everyday usage. I think I'm going to return them, and ask my LBS about getting a nice wheelset that I CAN use everyday, and not feel like I have to be "careful" every time I go out for a ride. 

It's so sad...I was so thrilled when I got them, but now just pangs of regrets.

Anyone have suggestions of a nice wheelset with bladed spokes? (unless if you really feel that bladed spokes are overrated like the weights of the wheels
2011-02-10 6:32 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Carbones are pretty impressive wheels. If you do some research you'll see they have been ridden to multiple Tour de France stage wins and several World Championships. There are several versions of the Cosmic Carbone, all of them advanced.

One place Mavic has an edge over some of the other wheel manufacturers is in hub technology and with the interface between the hub flanges and the spokes. If you look carefully at these and compare them visually to other wheels from HED and Zipp you'll see a disntinctly different interface at the hug/spoke union.

The Cosmic Carbon borrows some technology for the Ksyrium wheels first debuted by Claudio Chiappucci in the final time trial of the 1990 Tour de France. LeMond beat Chiappucci for the win in the TT, but only just. Chiappucci had a rare technical edge over lemond because of his wheels. The original Ksyriums cost over $8000 US to produce. The Cosmic Carbones are a spin off of that wheel with enhanced aerodynamics and a deeper section rim.

One thing Mavic has achieved on Cosmic Carbone that other manufacturers have not is all-course durability. Carbones are oddly durable. There is a minor weight penalty compared to a HED Jet or Zipp 404 Firecrest but for most consumers the extra weight is worth it. Braking performance is also superb on these wheels without proprietary brake pads or brake adjustment.

The Belgian Ironman World Champion, Luke Van Lierde, once did a sub-8 hour Ironman on Mavic Cosmic Carbones. They are impressive wheels.

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2011-02-10 6:32 PM
2011-02-10 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Tom - see!! That kind of thing is making me feel like I want to keep them!  That's the one reason why I really like them because they're very durable for overall racing AND training.   Weight is nothing, I can't notice the difference anyways.

I just want something that is fantastic for both Training and Racing. 

Sadly - I cannot return them and get my money back because they've been "slightly used". Best bet is to sell it here or eBay.

I have thought about getting an aero helmet, but I'll feel weird wearing it and riding a road bike.  So I'm going to wait until I get a tribike (oh, maybe next year or in two years) to get a helmet.

I just want to upgrade my wheels, and I think I approached buying them wrong.  

Anyone else thinks I should keep or sell?

2011-02-10 7:01 PM

User image

Go get the MP3 warranty. Then if you break 'em or run over 'em or whatnot you get a new wheel. Then when the two years is up get another set of wheels

2011-02-10 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3349551

User image

Master
Sin City
Daniel - Thanks! That actually makes me feel better, so I'll get the warranty. 

I've talked to my SO, and he flatly said, "ENJOY THEM! Go out and ride hard." He even asked me, "What are the downfalls?"  Uh...I didn't know how to answer him.

So I'm keeping them. :-
2011-02-10 8:45 PM

User image

Master
I love my Carbones. I don't think they hold me back in the slightest bit. I don't believe using Zipps will make any real-world difference for you. You are suffering from a bad case of buyers remorse. Selling the Carbones at a loss and and buying Zipps will probably not make you any faster  and make the remorse worse. I agree with your SO. Ride the hill out of the Carbones and you will get faster. STOP READING REVIEWS.
2011-02-11 9:24 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
You look like a tiny person in your avatar. Yet you worry about durability so much. Being very light you don't put much of a beating on wheels at all. Plus, I've seen guys that weigh 170-180lbs put zipp 404 and hed jet6's through the ringer day in and day out. With that in mind and the extra benefit of better crosswind performance I would go with a set of hed or zipps over the carbones. Crosswinds will be a bigger issue for you being light. If you aren't as light as I'm assuming please disreguard everything I say!
2011-02-11 10:02 AM

Veteran
Austin, TX
you have a great wheelset, don't worry about the weight. Think about how many grams of weight a different wheelset would save as a percentage of your total bike+rider weight. Its VERY small.

In fact I would add another 300grams of wheelcover to the rear wheel, you will be faster even in vegas.

2011-02-11 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3349525

Tom Demerly. - 2011-02-10 6:32 PM Carbones are pretty impressive wheels. If you do some research you'll see they have been ridden to multiple Tour de France stage wins and several World Championships. There are several versions of the Cosmic Carbone, all of them advanced.

One place Mavic has an edge over some of the other wheel manufacturers is in hub technology and with the interface between the hub flanges and the spokes. If you look carefully at these and compare them visually to other wheels from HED and Zipp you'll see a disntinctly different interface at the hug/spoke union.

The Cosmic Carbon borrows some technology for the Ksyrium wheels first debuted by Claudio Chiappucci in the final time trial of the 1990 Tour de France. LeMond beat Chiappucci for the win in the TT, but only just. Chiappucci had a rare technical edge over lemond because of his wheels. The original Ksyriums cost over $8000 US to produce. The Cosmic Carbones are a spin off of that wheel with enhanced aerodynamics and a deeper section rim.

One thing Mavic has achieved on Cosmic Carbone that other manufacturers have not is all-course durability. Carbones are oddly durable. There is a minor weight penalty compared to a HED Jet or Zipp 404 Firecrest but for most consumers the extra weight is worth it. Braking performance is also superb on these wheels without proprietary brake pads or brake adjustment.

The Belgian Ironman World Champion, Luke Van Lierde, once did a sub-8 hour Ironman on Mavic Cosmic Carbones. They are impressive wheels.

Carbone SL (clincher) owner and rider here. I agree with Tom on this. I do every ride and race on mine.They came with my Tranny pro and I'm happy with them. I have even gone through a pot hole at 31mph and it did nothing to them. A lot of people don't like noisy Mavic hubs (freehwheel) but that can be sorted with some grease. They may be heavier but the majority of reviews say this isn't a negative. But then they are lighter than many other similar wheel sets.

I don't see the point in having 'training' and 'race wheels'. I like to know how mine will handle come race day and I get that by training on them on all sorts of surfaces and in all sorts of wind and weather. Try and read some European reviews on them (Cycling weekly, BikeRadar etc.)- stick your google to .co.uk for some.
2011-02-11 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3350689

User image

Cosmic - 2011-02-11 1:20 PM

I don't see the point in having 'training' and 'race wheels'.

Have something happen like you back over them or hit a pothole just right about a week before a race and you'll come to appreciate having choices come race day.

2011-02-11 12:44 PM

I've been riding the Carbone SLs on my roadbike for about 6 months now and have not one once of regret with the purchase.  They have increased my average speed by a little over 1 mph.  I even road them on a 3 gap ride in the North Georgia mountains and never once wished I had different wheels during the 7000' of climbing that we did that day.
2011-02-11 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3350689

Veteran
Austin, TX
Well one reason is that the 'ideal' race wheelset would be a very deep front and a disc rear, a combo you wouldn't want to use in most group rides, and would not be allowed to use in races.

Another reason is fast tires can make even more difference than fast wheels, but they tend to be excessive, wear out faster, and flat easier, so you wouldn't want to do all your training on them. You could swap tires out for races but that is a pain if you race a lot.

Of course third, wearing out a $2000 race set for training rides where they are of little utility is expensive for some of us =)

2011-02-11 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3350781

User image

Master
Baltimore
jackmott - 2011-02-11 2:02 PM Well one reason is that the 'ideal' race wheelset would be a very deep front and a disc rear, a combo you wouldn't want to use in most group rides, and would not be allowed to use in races.

Another reason is fast tires can make even more difference than fast wheels, but they tend to be excessive, wear out faster, and flat easier, so you wouldn't want to do all your training on them. You could swap tires out for races but that is a pain if you race a lot.

Of course third, wearing out a $2000 race set for training rides where they are of little utility is expensive for some of us =)

x2.  One size never fits all and you will end up making compromises on both ends of the spectrum and have neither an ideal race wheelset nor an ideal training wheelset.  I think the best solution is keep your low end OEM wheelset for training (the "ideal" training wheels since you've already bought them and they're probably pretty durable) and buy an ideal race wheelset.  I have no problem if you want to train on your race wheels too, just to me, I would get nothing out of it...I'm still doing x watts for y time.  If you have free speed, the miles you cover may increase, but the quality of the workout doesn't.

Edited by jsiegs 2011-02-11 1:12 PM

2011-02-11 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3350797

x2.  One size never fits all and you will end up making compromises on both ends of the spectrum and have neither an ideal race wheelset nor an ideal training wheelset.  I think the best solution is keep your low end OEM wheelset for training (the "ideal" training wheels since you've already bought them and they're probably pretty durable) and buy an ideal race wheelset.  I have no problem if you want to train on your race wheels too, just to me, I would get nothing out of it...I'm still doing x watts for y time.  If you have free speed, the miles you cover may increase, but the quality of the workout doesn't.

I bust all my cash on buying my bike (which I got in the sale!) so 'race wheels' will have to wait! I have a list of other things I need like a RETUL fit, new cassette, my clubs new tri kit, new shoes; luckily I got my wetsuit for free (on permanent loan!). One thing at a time... probably look at race wheels for next season, along with new base/aerobars.... the list is endless (and dangerous!?) Sadly not everyone is rolling in it (but we can dream and then there's always the freebie 'train harder')

Edited by Cosmic 2011-02-11 1:46 PM
2011-02-11 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3350861

User image

Master
Baltimore
Cosmic - 2011-02-11 2:44 PM

I bust all my cash on buying my bike (which I got in the sale!) so 'race wheels' will have to wait! I have a list of other things I need like a RETUL fit, new cassette, my clubs new tri kit, new shoes; luckily I got my wetsuit for free (on permanent loan!). One thing at a time... probably look at race wheels for next season, along with new base/aerobars.... the list is endless (and dangerous!?) Sadly not everyone is rolling in it (but we can dream and then there's always the freebie 'train harder')

No one's dogging you because you can't afford "ideal" race wheels right now.  I'm just saying that I disagree with your statement that there's no point to having more than one wheelset for training and racing ("I don't see the point in having 'training' and 'race wheels'.").  Money was never a consideration in my arguement since it was never brought up as a factor by you or the OP (who bought a secondary wheelset, so obviously had the desire to spend some money on some new wheels).  I still think that if you're gonna buy a second wheelset, you get more bang for your buck keeping your old wheels for training and buying the best race set up you can get, for races only than getting an "all-around" set.
2011-02-11 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3350175

User image

Master
Sin City
Meulen - 2011-02-11 7:24 AM You look like a tiny person in your avatar. Yet you worry about durability so much. Being very light you don't put much of a beating on wheels at all. Plus, I've seen guys that weigh 170-180lbs put zipp 404 and hed jet6's through the ringer day in and day out. With that in mind and the extra benefit of better crosswind performance I would go with a set of hed or zipps over the carbones. Crosswinds will be a bigger issue for you being light. If you aren't as light as I'm assuming please disreguard everything I say!

Why thank you! I'm Vertically challenged (ie 5' tall), but slightly on the wide side. :-) I'm no means over 130lbs though.

Sorry to bring up a debate.  I think this kind of debate is pretty much all over the place, and there's no one answer.

I cannot afford Zipps. I'll feel too "safe" riding with those on.  That's my philosophy.   I'm no means against people who HAVE them. That's their choice. I don't have money burning in my pocket, and I just got lucky with these and in a good price.  The REASON behind it is because I've read in NUMEROUS places that the Carbones are basically "bomb-proof". I feel more better that they're not fully carbon, which is probably why they're durable. Hence why I *want* a wheelset that is good all-around, and gives me some aero advantage during racing. 

I have my original wheelset used for backups. There have been cases where it has gotten very windy, and I can just swap them out. If not, no big deal, I'll just do the best I can.  I've ridden in crosswinds the day that I've tried them out, and they don't feel that much difference...maybe a little bit more squirrley, but not that bad.  

Thanks to everyone for their input.  I think it comes down to how *I* feel about it, right? :-P 
2011-02-11 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3351153

Veteran
Austin, TX
Cyborg queen, never swap out the deep REAR wheel for wind, only the front.
Adjust how you feel about it so you can enjoy a wee bit of free speed =)

2011-02-12 9:56 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
3years and my carbone sl's are still prime and train & race with them. Bombproof. Any upgrade will have minimal impact especially if you admit the engine is currently subpar.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I return the Mavic Carbones? Rss Feed