General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming: the FISTS drill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-16 5:17 AM

Subject: swimming: the FISTS drill
Hi there
i am a slow swimmer (by best recorded time is 47:30 for 2000m swim) and looking to improve.

At my masters swimming group, i was told i should learn to breath on by left side (as i only breathe on the left). However, i can usually not get more than one lap without being knackered, and i constantly feel like im sinking every time i take a breath

However, i read somewhere the FISTS drill (where you swim using clenched fists) is a good drill to alleviate this problem, as it prevents you from pushing down on the water, and rather using your body to rotate to get air

after trying this drill, by swimming on the other side has improved, and i feel alot more streamlined

is there any other sort of drills i should do to improve by swimming by breathing on this non-preferred side or should i continue with the FISTS drill until mastered

thanks in advance

2011-02-16 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3357302

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: swimming: the FISTS drill
My 2 cents - it sounds like you need to work on balance in the water. 

One drill I use for balance - on my side (example left side), have the left arm out in front, right arm on my side and kick the length of the pool.  Keep your head down unless breathing.  My right arm including hand resting on my hip, should be out of the water.

I'm sure others may have other drills.
2011-02-16 8:43 AM

User image

TX
I love the fists drill!  It also teaches you how to maximize your pull.
I am relatively new to swimming and probably don't have much room to suggest anything [esp since I learned to swim on youtube but that was good enough for 3rd AG in sprint tri]... 

one drill that comes to mind is a simple balance drill - you stretch out on one side and just hold it (don't move).  Lift mouth out of the water when you need to breathe.  It's harder than it sounds!

Good luck!
2011-02-16 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Iowa

I find the fist drill makes me more aware of my arm position in the water and helps me improve my pull.

What finally helped me to be able to breathe on my weak side was tons and tons of balance drills.

Here's part of a recent workout:

1 x 50 kicking on back
1 x 50 kicking on back w/ shoulder roll
1 x 25 kicking on side
1 x 25 kicking on other side
1 x 25 kicking on side, left arm out
1 x 25 kicking on side, right arm out

The first four are done with hands at the hips.

The ones on the side are done with hips and shoulders all aligned on the same plane, and that plane is vertical. Head is turned down to look at the bottom of the pool, rotate the head up to breathe. The hand on the top hip should be partially above the surface of the water.

For the last two, it's the bottom arm that is out. The top arm is still on the hip.
2011-02-16 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Another drill I like for learning to breath to the weak side is single-arm swimming.  do freestyle pulling only with the arm to the side you are trying to breath.  The opposite arm stays in streamline position in front.
Don't know why, but breathing to the weak side this way becomes more manageable.

You can also try this with a pull buoy, especially at first.
2011-02-16 2:35 PM

Regular
right or wrong I work on my weak side breathing during pull buoy sessions as well as during my warm down set. These sets I'm just alternating sides every 3rd stroke.  I'll also from time to time, depending on what kind of drills I'm doing....every 5th lap I'll switch up to my weak side breathing with the goal of doing it every 4th then 3rd until I'm feeling prettty comfortable on both sides.   Slowly but surely it's helping me get more comfortable on my weak side.

Michael

2011-02-16 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Fist and Catch drills are the best (in my opinion).

Try them back to back during sets.

Emphasize leaving your extended arm out there longer while rotating for breath of air, it may help you stay streamline longer (while experiencing less of the sinking feeling).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming: the FISTS drill Rss Feed