General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Set the goal! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-11 9:32 AM

South Jersey
Subject: Set the goal!
I set the goal!! I am going to do a tri. Actually I set the goal about a month ago and started running. My goal was to do a triahtlon before I was 40 (I am 37 now). A month later I am running over 2 miles, can bike 10 miles and swim 200 yards (my weakest area-never swam competitively). In other words, I want to do one this fall but may have to wait until the spring. I can only train for about an hour most mornings so don't think I can be ready for the fall. What''s my point? I caught the fever....now I have lots of questions.

1) Do I need to have a $500 bike?
2) Are the pedal clips universal? I am using soemone else bike but don't have bike shoes (pedaling on the underside of the pedal). Can I buy any bike shoe to use with these pedals?
3) What do i look for in a bike? How do i know what size is right for me?
4) How do I find a network of people who do this locally (SouthJersey-Atlantic city & Cape May Area) ? I need help with the swim especially.

Lots of other questions but a little at a time so no one gets overwhelmed.

Any help, suggestions would be great. I don't want to start training and do it wrong where I have to fix a bad habit.

Thanks, heather in south jersey

2005-08-11 9:51 AM
in reply to: #222587

User image

Veteran
Brookline, MA
Subject: RE: Set the goal!
Heather,

Great! I am about in the same spot.. I started doing general fitness stuff about 3 weeks ago, and recently found this site.. I bought a bike, and have started to swim.. Off and running..

I'm not really qualified to answer your questions, but a good bike is going to make it easier.

I have no clue if the pedal clips are universal

In so far as what to look for in a bike; since I was just starting out most people told me to get a regular road bike; not a tri specific bike. The event day bike has a more forward position and is generally less comfortable; I'm sure there are articles on here that have great information on this, and I'm a newb, so just use this as a point of reference.

No clue how to find a network; but I'm interested in the same thing for the Boston area

-Jeremy
2005-08-11 11:22 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

bippy227 - 2005-08-11 7:32 AM I set the goal!! I am going to do a tri. Actually I set the goal about a month ago and started running. My goal was to do a triahtlon before I was 40 (I am 37 now). A month later I am running over 2 miles, can bike 10 miles and swim 200 yards (my weakest area-never swam competitively). In other words, I want to do one this fall but may have to wait until the spring. I can only train for about an hour most mornings so don't think I can be ready for the fall. What''s my point? I caught the fever....now I have lots of questions. 1) Do I need to have a $500 bike? 2) Are the pedal clips universal? I am using soemone else bike but don't have bike shoes (pedaling on the underside of the pedal). Can I buy any bike shoe to use with these pedals? 3) What do i look for in a bike? How do i know what size is right for me? 4) How do I find a network of people who do this locally (SouthJersey-Atlantic city & Cape May Area) ? I need help with the swim especially. Lots of other questions but a little at a time so no one gets overwhelmed. Any help, suggestions would be great. I don't want to start training and do it wrong where I have to fix a bad habit. Thanks, heather in south jersey

Your questions:

A month later I am running over 2 miles, can bike 10 miles and swim 200 yards (my weakest area-never swam competitively). In other words, I want to do one this fall but may have to wait until the spring. I can only train for about an hour most mornings so don't think I can be ready for the fall.

If you can train an hour most mornings, that's 6 hours a week (w/ one day off for rest) - you could do a sprint triathlon this fall, if you wanted to.  You wouldn't be the fastest but you could go out and have fun. Your limiter would be the swim I think, you need to be getting in the pool at least 2x a week, and working up to the race distance.  Check out the training programs on this site.

1) Do I need to have a $500 bike?

No.  Many people do their first few on whatever bike they have, and start saving for the bike they want.  (Mtn bikes are not uncommon at a sprint triathlon)  $500 is actually the very lower limit for a bike, for a decent bike you're looking more at $1000 and up.

2) Are the pedal clips universal? I am using soemone else bike but don't have bike shoes (pedaling on the underside of the pedal). Can I buy any bike shoe to use with these pedals?

Not sure exactly what you are saying here, but there are many different kinds of pedals and clips.  You could take it to a bike shop and they could probably help you out, but I wouldn't worry too much about it until you're ready to get that new bike/shoes/pedals, etc.

3) What do i look for in a bike? How do i know what size is right for me?

There's a lot of threads on the main boards about bikes and what different people are looking for.  This could give you some info.  It really depends on what you want to buy/purpose you are using the bike for.  As far as size, you can get an idea based on how tall you are, but you'll really need to go to a bike shop or somewhere where they can give you specific info.  Hang out on the main boards and learn/ask questions then you'll feel more informed.

4) How do I find a network of people who do this locally (SouthJersey-Atlantic city & Cape May Area) ?

Look up triathlon clubs in your area using google - there is usually one or two and you could join and see how you like their group workouts etc.

I need help with the swim especially.

Either get lessons, say one or two a month and then work on what you learned, or join a Master's swim team (the best, IMO) - My team is great, but I know that depending on place the team can be unfriendly.  Usually they'll let you swim with them once or twice, so you can check it out before signing up.

2005-08-11 1:13 PM
in reply to: #222721

South Jersey
Thanks for the info...
Another thing I didn't mention in my intro is that I have been doing home video workouts for nearly 3 years and got myself in pretty good shape but obviously that doesn't build up endurance. I don't really consider myself starting from the couch so what week in these beginner plans would I start at?
2005-08-11 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
I'd say start where you are. Can you find a week in the training plan that looks fairly similar to where you are already training? It won't hurt you to start at the beginning, but it could hurt you to start too advanced. Running, in my opinion, is the most important part to watch when you're just beginning. Your bones and joints have to adjust to the new activity slowly so you don't injure yourself.

As for the bike: don't worry about it. I did my first three triathlons on a mountain bike with knobby tires. I wasn't fast, but I did it. If you can't get shoes to fit the pedals, you might consider getting some standard pedals and installing toe cages on them. That's what I used, and it gives you a similar benefit to having pedals and cleats, but at a much lower cost. Plus, then you only have to wear your running shoes for both the bike and run.

Welcome to the crazy world of triathlon!
2005-08-11 3:39 PM
in reply to: #222985

South Jersey
Anything to lower the cost...you don't realize how much equipment is needed.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Set the goal! Rss Feed