General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheap mountain bike fitting? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-17 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: Cheap mountain bike fitting?
I'd like to get a basic fitting done for my mountain bike but am not willing to spend $150+ that most shops charge.  Any suggestions?  Of course I'd like the fitter to be competent Wink.

Thanks! 

BTW-  anyone in HR area know how to adjust rear derailleurs on MTBs?  XTR rear....

2011-02-17 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3360454

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Cheap mountain bike fitting?
I got a fitting @ Schwab a few years ago for $25 and he did a great job.  I got the impression they do mostly road bike fittings, but I assume they could fit you for a mtn bike.
2011-02-18 5:31 PM

User image

New user
"Cheap mountain bike fitting?"

Measure your seat to crank on your road bike and transfer that to your mountain bike and drop it a mm or two and adjust from there.  I went through 3 stems before I found the right combination for me.

My fitter in Utah explained that you move around so much more on a mountain bike that the "fit" is constantly changing.  He pointed out how many will use their quick release on their seatpost and change often depending on conditions going up and down on a ride.  You don't get the repetitive use kinks as much because you are changing the "fit" thorughout the ride.  His point was, get it comfortable but it's a lot less improtant on a mtb than a road bike.

I have barely changed his original fit on my road bike some 8 years later so I put a lot of trust in his words, he was also the guy who fitted Zabriske on his tri bike in his youth so he has some successful clients as well.
2011-02-19 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I have trouble with my right knee and left achilles so I needed to get in a good position on the bike.  I ended up going to Bicycle Pedal'r in Highlands Ranch.  They did a basic fit for $35.  The guy, Ed, also set up my shocks for me and answered a lot of questions.  Very helpful!  He also said the same thing about constant movement on the bike and less of a need for a precise fit (contrary to a road or tri bike).
2011-02-19 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3363090

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Sorry to "butt in" the Colorado forum.  But hey, I lived in Denver for almost 10 years, so I figured I am entitled! 

How about cheap as in "free"????

Honestly?  I'm not sure if a "fit" is as critical with all the moving about you do on a MTB.  I mean, it's not atypical for people to lower the sadle several inches during a ride, based on terrain.  Plus there are TONS of riding styles/terrain to consider.

GRANTED, there are some paramaters you want to stay within, to make sure you center of gravity is appropraite to the frame.

Anyway, try the fitting programs on wrenchscience.com and competitivecyclist.com.  I used both to get me to my current setup and it rides wonderfully.  I make small adjustments for me, but it's damn close.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheap mountain bike fitting? Rss Feed