General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trek 3.1 vs Argon 18 Radon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-18 9:37 PM

Calgary
Subject: Trek 3.1 vs Argon 18 Radon

HI all very green to this and new to the forum!  I'm looking to purchase my first road bike with the intent to do my first Tri (oly dist).

The Trek I can get from a lbs for $2k cdn adn the Argon 18 Radon is $2.1k. 

The Trek is carbon frame 105 components (can't remember the crank) and the Radon (from a tri shop) is carbon fork including the seat and chain stays but the triagnle part of the frame is aluminum.  It has 105 components including the crank.

Can't ride either yet as we are blessed with snowy streets still here.  I've spun them on trainers and both feel good with the Radon feeling like a slightly better fit, but not positive.

Anyone own a Radon or can comment on mixed aluminum and carbon frame?  I'd prefer the Radon cause it looks cooler and the tri shop has other gear i need to get so could take advantage of their discount if I buy the bike there.  But, maybe the Trek is a better deal as it's all carbon. 

I've been looking at bikes for weeks now and can never seem ot make up my mind.  But I almost bought that Radon today.

Both are 2011.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ifreedom 2011-02-18 9:38 PM

2011-02-20 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3362643

Regular
Burlington Ontario
Subject: RE: Trek 3.1 vs Argon 18 Radon
I can't comment on the radon as I have not yet ridden one but I ride the E112 and love it. The company and its customer service are top notch. The radon is on my watch list for my next road bike when I can afford it. Not sure where you are located but there are quite a few argon dealers in the GTA with old stock depending on size which are substantially discounted (I think central cycle in Hamilton has a couple on the floor-depending on the size you need). I got my E112 for about a grand cheaper because it was last years model. It might be worth having a look around for a new-old stock radon. Good luck in your search, it is an awesome and frustrating experience. Post a pic when you get it.

Mark
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trek 3.1 vs Argon 18 Radon Rss Feed