General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2011-05-03 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3478704

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Subject: RE: IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread
KathyG - 2011-05-02 6:28 PM

There is a bike transportation service going for US to Cozumel. I know nothing about the company but know bringing bikes to Cozumel can be a challenge.

Their website does not look very good.  I wonder if anybody has any experience with them.  The price sounds reasonable.  Thanks for posting

2011-05-03 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3363922

User image

Regular
I am signed up for IM Cozumel! I am doing CDA in June, so Cozumel will be my 2nd IM. I am very excited, and have heard great things about the race  
2011-05-06 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3479821

Chicago
MrSolis - 2011-05-03 11:45 AM

KathyG - 2011-05-02 6:28 PM

There is a bike transportation service going for US to Cozumel. I know nothing about the company but know bringing bikes to Cozumel can be a challenge.

Their website does not look very good.  I wonder if anybody has any experience with them.  The price sounds reasonable.  Thanks for posting

Tribike Transport is considering adding Cozumel to their supported race list. I was told to check back in a few weeks to find out what they have decided. I'm going to wait to see what they do before I decide how I'm getting my bike down there. They are, by far, my preferred option.

http://www.tribiketransport.com/
2011-05-06 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
In T1 looking for my Schwinn Huffy
well, we're 30 weeks away....how's the training going for everyone?  (I'm already exhausted  Is anybody else using Don Fink's Iron Fit training program?  
2011-05-06 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3486149

Chicago
LazyRiver - 2011-05-06 6:32 PM

well, we're 30 weeks away....how's the training going for everyone?  (I'm already exhausted  Is anybody else using Don Fink's Iron Fit training program?  

Yes, I'm using the intermediate program. So far, so good. The hardest part is the mental training - getting up earlier than usual to get workouts in, doing workouts later after the kids go to bed, etc. Once I get going, the training isn't so bad (granted, 1st week) but getting going isn't always so easy.
2011-05-07 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3486149

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

LazyRiver - 2011-05-06 6:32 PM well, we're 30 weeks away....how's the training going for everyone?  (I'm already exhausted  Is anybody else using Don Fink's Iron Fit training program?  

you guys are training ALREADY?  YIKES!!!    I have a HIM in 4 weeks so I've been using the Silver HIM plan to do that and will start IM training once that is over.  I don't see a need to start more than 20 weeks out but maybe I'll regret that late November. 

2011-05-12 12:33 PM

User image

Elite
I'm planning on goign to watch friends, but now I'm freaking out about flights.  I won't have a bike to bring, but I'll be coming solo. Flying into Cozumel will cost me $893 total (yikes) as opposed to $526 total....I'm on a pretty strict budget. is it worth the extra $300???  I've never been to either, wanted to see what the big deal was about going directly to CZM vs CUN.

thanks!
2011-05-12 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3495776

User image

I competed in the race last year and ended up having to fly into Cancun due to a missed connection that would have taken us directly into Cozumel.  After landing in Cancun we took a 30 minute van ride to the Ferry.  We purchased tickets for the 20 minute Ferry ride.  This was all very easy and costs much less than $300 but I would not recommend that you do this alone.  Unless you are in a small group, I would recommend that you spend the extra $300 and fly directly into Cozumel. 

2011-05-13 11:34 AM

User image

Elite
yep, I went ahead and booked it, sheesh, most expensive ticket done. My friends (and you all I'll be cheering for too) better appreciate it!

Be sure to give me your numbers and info. I'll find some sort of obnoxious costume so I'm visible.
2011-05-13 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3497491

User image

Veteran
Reston
Oh we will appreciate it, Amy!
Sooooo thrilled you're coming! Still working on our flights. Options are not super.
2011-05-14 4:02 PM

User image

Atlanta, GA

My wife (who is also on BT) and I are going to do it.  It will be her third (after Louisville '10 and St. George '11), and my first.  Looking forward to it!  We're about 90% likely to fly to Cancun because of cost, even though it would certainly be easier to fly directly to Cozumel.  

So, I know that disc wheels are not permitted because of the wind, but I still want to use some aero wheels.  What wheels do y'all plan to ride?  What wheels did the fast cyclists use?  

2011-05-15 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3495776

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

turtlegirl - 2011-05-12 12:33 PM I'm planning on goign to watch friends, but now I'm freaking out about flights.  I won't have a bike to bring, but I'll be coming solo. Flying into Cozumel will cost me $893 total (yikes) as opposed to $526 total....I'm on a pretty strict budget. is it worth the extra $300???  I've never been to either, wanted to see what the big deal was about going directly to CZM vs CUN.

thanks!

I dont' know if you've paid already but IMO (but I live her) so NOT worth the extra $ to fly to Coz.  You can get an ADO bus from CUN to PdC for under $10USD, a triciclo (if you have a lot of baggage) will transport you and your stuff to the ferry dock for under $5USD and the ferry over is around $11USD.  Taxi on COZ will be expensive but no more than $25USD to the farthest hotel (I would think).

2011-05-17 8:10 AM

User image

Regular

Hey everyone! My husband (gwdiv) and I are officially registered!!! I have done two, and it will be his first.

Planning the travel part is probably going to be a little tough.  Time to start really searching for plane tickets and decide on a hotel.

This looks like the perfect way to spend our thanksgiving!

I will start training again pretty soon, but I just finished IMSG, so I am still in recovery mode.

2011-05-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3499796

User image

Pro
Burbs
kathy caribe - 2011-05-15 11:05 AM

turtlegirl - 2011-05-12 12:33 PM I'm planning on goign to watch friends, but now I'm freaking out about flights.  I won't have a bike to bring, but I'll be coming solo. Flying into Cozumel will cost me $893 total (yikes) as opposed to $526 total....I'm on a pretty strict budget. is it worth the extra $300???  I've never been to either, wanted to see what the big deal was about going directly to CZM vs CUN.

thanks!

I dont' know if you've paid already but IMO (but I live her) so NOT worth the extra $ to fly to Coz.  You can get an ADO bus from CUN to PdC for under $10USD, a triciclo (if you have a lot of baggage) will transport you and your stuff to the ferry dock for under $5USD and the ferry over is around $11USD.  Taxi on COZ will be expensive but no more than $25USD to the farthest hotel (I would think).

I had a different experience! I would pay the extra money to fly directly into COZ. It was SUCH a pain to drag luggage from the airport to the ferry,, get it on the ferry, take the ferry, etc.

2011-05-17 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3485632

User image

Tribike Transport is considering adding Cozumel to their supported race list. I was told to check back in a few weeks to find out what they have decided. I'm going to wait to see what they do before I decide how I'm getting my bike down there. They are, by far, my preferred option. http://www.tribiketransport.com/ 

I just got the same response from TriBike Transport about servicing Cozumel:

"We do hope to service this event, but can not yet confirm it.  Please check back with us in several weeks."

If the price is reasonable I will definately use their service.

Edited by MrSolis 2011-05-17 3:39 PM
2011-05-17 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3504641

User image

Veteran
MrSolis - 2011-05-17 3:38 PM

Tribike Transport is considering adding Cozumel to their supported race list. I was told to check back in a few weeks to find out what they have decided. I'm going to wait to see what they do before I decide how I'm getting my bike down there. They are, by far, my preferred option. http://www.tribiketransport.com/ 

I just got the same response from TriBike Transport about servicing Cozumel:

"We do hope to service this event, but can not yet confirm it.  Please check back with us in several weeks."

If the price is reasonable I will definately use their service.

Same here...would be great to have that part taken care of...

2011-05-17 8:25 PM

First IM...Easy to convince the wife and kids to go to Mexico for "vacation"  Hope I can walk and enjoy it afterwards.  Just did a half IM this past weekend.

How many races do people have lined up before Cozumel?  I have a sprint (a grudge to settle here no other reason), an international, Augusta Half in September.

2011-05-18 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
I also sent an email to tribike transport.  I figured that the more people they hear from the more likely they are to offer it.  I got the same response.  I will keep my fingers crossed, because they were amazing when I used them in IMSG.
2011-05-18 12:51 PM

User image

I just signed up today.  I did this race last year as my first ironman and promised myself..."never again".  I guess I have forgotten about all the pain of the run and just remember how exciting it was to finish and how great I felt during the days after.  Good luck to everyone with your training!
2011-05-18 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3505087

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
NewTriGuy69 - 2011-05-17 8:25 PM

First IM...Easy to convince the wife and kids to go to Mexico for "vacation"  Hope I can walk and enjoy it afterwards.  Just did a half IM this past weekend.

How many races do people have lined up before Cozumel?  I have a sprint (a grudge to settle here no other reason), an international, Augusta Half in September.

I have a HIM 5 June and that's it.  But Coz will be my first IM (and assuming I complete my HIM, 3rd triathlon)

2011-05-19 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3505087

User image

NewTriGuy69 - 2011-05-17 6:25 PM

June 18th, 2.4 miles OWS

70.3 in portland on july 10th (Rev 3)

August 13th,  Local Almost half distance (the run is mostly uphill but its only 8-9 miles)

Sept 11,  Sprint ( My work is organizing this one)

I may fit other stuff in but I Ok if I do not

2011-05-19 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3505911

User image

Veteran

kacie tri-ing - 2011-05-18 10:27 AM I also sent an email to tribike transport.  I figured that the more people they hear from the more likely they are to offer it.  I got the same response.  I will keep my fingers crossed, because they were amazing when I used them in IMSG.

Great idea.  I'm going to send email as well.

2011-05-27 1:15 PM

I just signed up. It will be my first IM. I just got into triathlons this year... very exciting.

I will also email tribiketransport.

Good luck to all!

2011-06-05 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3503681

User image

Master
South Florida
trishie - 2011-05-17 10:35 AM
kathy caribe - 2011-05-15 11:05 AM

thanks!

I had a different experience! I would pay the extra money to fly directly into COZ. It was SUCH a pain to drag luggage from the airport to the ferry,, get it on the ferry, take the ferry, etc.

Thanks for the info on traveling to Cancun!  $300 is a lot to save for some hassle...doesn't sound awful.  Still trying to sort out how I'm going to make this trip happen   Looking forward to racing there, though! 

2011-06-09 3:35 PM

User image

Has anyone booked a hotel yet?  Last year I stayed at the Wyndham Resort.  This hotel is about a 15 minute cab ride from the downtown/finish area.  It was very nice and was an all inclusive.  The breakfasts were very good but I didn't love the all inclusive style restaurants for lunch or dinner.  I usually ended up each night downtown exploring different places to eat.  The beach was beautiful and I was able to practice my swim during the days before the race.  There was no need to attend the swim training sessions.  After the race I was able to take advantage of the great diving and snorkeling that Cozumel is famous for. 

This year I am planning on staying at the Hotel Cozumel.  It is in the downtown area and close to everything including the expo, athlete checkin, race meetings and most importantly you can walk back to your room following the race.  However, this hotel is not a great resort and only provideds the basics.  If you are coming with someone that is expecting to vacation in luxury while you are doing your race stuff then I would look to one of the all inclusive resorts.   I think I will stay at this hotel for the race and days preceeding but check out the day after and go somewhere luxorious to spend the rest of the week.   

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9