General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike noob question - building wheel around a powertap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-23 7:54 AM

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
Subject: Bike noob question - building wheel around a powertap
I came across a deal on a powertap SL for $250, hub only, that I would like to buy. My plan is to have my LBS build it into my current wheelset (mavic open pro) or get a new rim and build a wheel around it.

Does this make sense to do economically? I have never had a wheel built but I'm assuming that if I build it into my current rim, that it could be done for less than the $800+ that a powertap in an open pro wheel goes for on ebay.

I'm allowing myself to spend around $1000 on wheels and I figure this for a rear with a disc cover plus a used 3 spoke front and a 310xt to read the power meter is about the best combination I could do for that money.

Thanks for the input

Edited by red66stang 2011-02-23 7:54 AM

2011-02-23 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3368239

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Bike noob question - building wheel around a powertap
It absolutely makes sense if you're getting the computer included with the deal. The only thing that I want to point out is that, as far as I know, the 310xt does not read any sort of power data. If they changed this recently, I'll die happy.
2011-02-23 8:14 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Is the SL wireless?  And I'm almost sure that the 310 has been able to read power data from day 1.
2011-02-23 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3368243

User image

Master
Albuquerque
UWMadTri - 2011-02-23 6:59 AM It absolutely makes sense if you're getting the computer included with the deal. The only thing that I want to point out is that, as far as I know, the 310xt does not read any sort of power data. If they changed this recently, I'll die happy.

According to the dcrainmaker review, it does:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/09/garmin-forerunner-310xt-in-depth-review.html

5th pic on the bike from the top. 
2011-02-23 8:27 AM

User image

Master

red66stang - 2011-02-23 7:54 AM I came across a deal on a powertap SL for $250, hub only, that I would like to buy. My plan is to have my LBS build it into my current wheelset (mavic open pro) or get a new rim and build a wheel around it.

Does this make sense to do economically? I have never had a wheel built but I'm assuming that if I build it into my current rim, that it could be done for less than the $800+ that a powertap in an open pro wheel goes for on ebay.

I'm allowing myself to spend around $1000 on wheels and I figure this for a rear with a disc cover plus a used 3 spoke front and a 310xt to read the power meter is about the best combination I could do for that money.

Thanks for the input

For starters, the Garmin 310 WILL read power data as it is ANT+ compatible. Now here is the catch. If the hub is an SL and not an SL+ you are going to have to buy the ANT+ Updater kit from either your local bike shop or Cycleops (119.99 msrp)

Here is the catch, it only works on the wireless models that were sold under the SL designation.

Edited by jhouse4 2011-02-23 8:29 AM
2011-02-23 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3368311

User image

Master
jhouse4 - 2011-02-23 8:27 AM

red66stang - 2011-02-23 7:54 AM I came across a deal on a powertap SL for $250, hub only, that I would like to buy. My plan is to have my LBS build it into my current wheelset (mavic open pro) or get a new rim and build a wheel around it.

Thanks for the input

For starters, the Garmin 310 WILL read power data as it is ANT+ compatible. Now here is the catch. If the hub is an SL and not an SL+ you are going to have to buy the ANT+ Updater kit from either your local bike shop or Cycleops (119.99 msrp)

Here is the catch, it only works on the wireless models that were sold under the SL designation.

Not a bad deal at all - $350 for a nice powertap, a bit more to have it laced into the Mavics, and he has a good system for under $500?  Great deal.  OP just needs to be cognizant of what hole pattern is currently in the PT that he's looking at so that he knows if it is compatible with his current rim.   Other than that it looks like a great way to get into power pretty inexpensively.

2011-02-23 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

Could be a sweet deal, but just gotta make sure to consider all the small "add-ons" - Garmin, ANT updator, etc.  Your LBS can should be able to give you a direct quote on price to build around your hub - I checked into this option, but found mine to be rather expensive without many options though.  I went to wheelbuilder.com and they built me a wheel.  I aslo bought the hub from them, so I'm not sure if it will be much cheaper to send them the hub to build a wheel and send back (or if they'll even do that), but they are a large volume wheel builder with every rim/spoke combo you could want (I wanted to get exactly what I wanted/needed in the wheel, not a stock open pro powertap).  You could get the wheel cover at the same time too.  They have real people who answer the phone so it'd be real easy to ask and get a quote.

2011-02-23 10:19 AM

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
It is a wireless 2.4 hub with a 32 hole pattern and my current open pro is 32 holes. I had thought about sending the wheel and hub to wheelbuilder to have them do it but wanted to get the powertap before I started going too far into that. What sucks is I'm deployed right now for the next few weeks so I'm hoping to just get everything delivered so I can get it built up when I get back.

Just curious those that have had a wheel built around a hub at your LBS, what did it cost you?

I currently have a 4yr old 305 and it's on its last legs. I was thinking of upgrading to the 310xt and this would be the perfect reason if it all works out.
2011-02-23 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3368544

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
red66stang - 2011-02-23 11:19 AM

It is a wireless 2.4 hub with a 32 hole pattern and my current open pro is 32 holes. I had thought about sending the wheel and hub to wheelbuilder to have them do it but wanted to get the powertap before I started going too far into that. What sucks is I'm deployed right now for the next few weeks so I'm hoping to just get everything delivered so I can get it built up when I get back.

Just curious those that have had a wheel built around a hub at your LBS, what did it cost you?

I currently have a 4yr old 305 and it's on its last legs. I was thinking of upgrading to the 310xt and this would be the perfect reason if it all works out.

I have built 4-5 sets of wheels myself and it's an art. You should be sure your LBS has a good mechanic who has done it before. IMHO: I'd stay local since after break in, that wheel needs 1-2 truings to dial it in for a long lifetime.

It depends on what you're buying specifically, but a straight or double butted spoke should be about $1, nipples about $0.10 meaning $35.20 for that part. A rim is variable in cost depending on what you pick. Personally, I'd go with a 32mm deep aluminum rim like a Velocity Deep V and consider a wheel cover to have a disc / deeper combo suitable for multiple wind conditions. That rim is about $70. An open pro is about $60. You can get a Zipp 404 rim, but now you're in for real $$$.

Labor should be about $75. That brings your total to $177.50.

You could also build a front which matches and still be semi-aero.
2011-02-23 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3368570

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
I should also mention there is a powertap "powerpack" for sale locally for $125 but I don't think I would need that as I would have the 310xt (future purchase) with the GSC-10 cadence sensor I already have for heart rate and power readings.

I was planning on a disc cover but I think I would prefer to go with the deep V rim.

I'm also trying to buy a 3 spoke front I found for $235 so that should cover the front aero wheel if it goes through. Otherwise I'd keep looking to try to find a used aero front.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike noob question - building wheel around a powertap Rss Feed