General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling safety question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-02 9:42 AM

Subject: Cycling safety question...
My rides are starting to get longer, and I'm getting really sick of riding on the same roads in my neighborhood so I have started venturing out a little bit.  I have found some GREAT country roads that are scenic, and have some good hills on them, but in the process I'm getting into some unfamiliar territory.  I've been finding myself on four lane highways in the shoulder, which I have seen other cyclists do, but still feels weird feeling the cars fly by me.  I also ended up on a four lane highway and had the shoulder end on me putting me in the right lane of traffic which really sucked!

I guess what I want to know is what steps I can take to be as safe as possible.  Do most of you drive the routes you want to bike before doing it?  This makes a lot of sense but I have a bad habit of thinking a road 'looks' fun and turning on to it.  Many times it's a road I've been on plenty of times before, but I never thought to pay attention to those little details that make a big difference when I'm on two wheels and not four!

Any advice on planning long rides, and staying safe is greatly appreciated!

2011-03-02 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3378962

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cycling safety question...
Personally, I won't ride a road unless I know it's safe and I feel comfortable on it. Obviously there are going to be those times where unexpected construction pops up or something along those lines, but I would hate to end up in a situation where I could have potentially caused a traffic accident or unnecessary delays.

I have ridden VERY SHORT distances on the shoulder of four-lane highways before, but only as a means to get from one road to another.

Reflective gear, bright/blinky lights, and clear hand signals are all your friends.
Be safe out there!

2011-03-02 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Expanding your cycling routes can be exciting and a learning experience. Often the best roads for riding are roads you don't drive as they are out of the way or have little traffic on so they may be new to you.

Here are some tips that might help...

1. Where I live many bike groups paint the road for routes they use. When first starting to ride more I would follow the paint and find new roads.

2. Here in MA they sell a bike map for half the state that marks roads ideal for cycling..different colors for how they are...green are the best.

3. I bought a book on bike routes in my area. I have pre driven them to figure them out before I try them. Some suck and some are good.

4. Go to group rides that are close to your house and you will learn new routes plus you can ask others for good riding areas.

5. Places like mapmyride.com has routes you could search and try to find some new places to ride.

6. If you live near where tris are held, ride the bike courses of the tris.

7. If you are out riding and happen upon other cyclists ask if you can ride with them and ask them for suggestions.

I've ridden ~20K miles while living where I do. I would love to find new routes as I have many but have ridden same roads many many times. When I discover a new route or area to ride in I always find it a gift.
2011-03-02 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Google maps and satellite/street view are great to see if a road is a highway or not or has a shoulder.  Won't tell you everything but can definitley give you a very good idea (esp street view if available).  I use it all the time when i leave my home area and am planning to run or bike on the roads.
2011-03-02 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
So Cal
Yes indeed. Roads do look flat and benign when you're driving a 5,000 lbs vehicle at 55mph but those same roads are vastly different on a 20 lbs bike going 17 mph in a crosswind. Venturing out can be fun and exhilarating but at the sametime stressful if you don't know where you're going - even on a simple out and back.

BT has a nice Route section that has great routes that others have posted which have been mapped out and commented upon for elevation changes and hazards. There could be one posted in your neighborhood. Also, check the local bike shops for cycling routes as well as local cycling clubs and consider joining up with them on a group ride as well. Most, if not all clubs welcome new riders. This is a very quick way to get more information on new routes and riding in a peloton or group is much safer because drivers can spot a group rather than an individual.

Aside from having protective and reflective equipment on your body and bike, consider adding a Road ID it's simple and inexpensive. Ride safe.
2011-03-02 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Might want to look into industrial parks.  Most of them are empty on the weekends and depending on the size you can make a good crit loop out of them.

2011-03-02 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Do you have a local bike club?  Them as well as your LBS are great resources for roads with appropriate amounts of traffic.

I wear a bright jersey when I ride to help me be seen.

Also, I assume I am invisible to drivers.  If a car is at a driveway, I make sure we have eye contact before I go in front of them.  Forget right of way, the car wins in a collision 100% of the time.

As for roads, I try to avoid busy urban roads - in other words, in town roads with no shoulder and heavy traffic.

2011-03-02 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Look for John Forester's book Effective Cycling, lot's of helpful ideas there.
2011-03-02 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3379055

Extreme Veteran
KathyG - 2011-03-02 11:23 AM Expanding your cycling routes can be exciting and a learning experience. Often the best roads for riding are roads you don't drive as they are out of the way or have little traffic on so they may be new to you.

Here are some tips that might help...

1. Where I live many bike groups paint the road for routes they use. When first starting to ride more I would follow the paint and find new roads.
<<snip>>

I'm starting to do this - usually the roads are well scouted and somewhat safe. 

I am also playing around with www.gpsies.com.  It lets me find other routes and really poke around different roads (and by zooming in and out you can get an idea of what kinds of roads are around and where you might want to go)

I tinkered with my usual ride for a while trying to get rid of a narrow overpass and as many left turns as possible.  It takes time to tweek a ride to "good" and then "great"
2011-03-02 5:42 PM

Veteran
Indiana

Often times, your local cycling club or LBS will have pre-planned routes or maps they will share of cycling routes they have explored and found to be safe and enjoyable places to ride. Benefit from others' experience!

2011-03-02 7:31 PM

User image

New user

Besides the bright clothes, reflective stuff...its very important to ride a straight line.  I will ride by the white line and NOT MOVE. I don't look behind me, but will hear the cars.  For myself, if start looking back or turning around, I move to left or right, which is really bad for a 5000 pound object that is trying to avoid you.  However, I plan ahead, go early say 6am on Sat or Sun before the church crowd drives to get some JC, or 11am when they come out after they get their fill.  Also, best way is to avoid traffic and key hills that cars won't have a chance to see. I have scouted ahead or looked for nice shoulders to ride, when I lived in IL.  Luckly in TN, I have the Trace 400 miles of private road or very friendly drivers that go slow around bikers.

2011-03-02 11:24 PM

Thank everybody for the awesome advice!
2011-03-03 5:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
I tend to plan my routes and either drive them or look on google maps like others have suggested. I save turn by turn directions and or the map route on my computer. When I go for a ride, I leave the route that I'm going on open. That way if I don't come back, my wife knows where to start looking. I do this for my runs as well.
2011-03-03 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3379780

User image

Hugh in TX - 2011-03-02 4:18 PM  I wear a bright jersey when I ride to help me be seen.

Also, I assume I am invisible to drivers.  If a car is at a driveway, I make sure we have eye contact before I go in front of them.  Forget right of way, the car wins in a collision 100% of the time.

Good tips I've learned from years of riding bikes and motorcycles.  I look like the circus coming to town when I ride.  The tip to maintain a straight line is good as well.  Don't be tentative.  When you commit to making a move go.
2011-03-03 6:53 AM
in reply to: #3380561

Extreme Veteran
Blanchje - 2011-03-03 7:49 AM
Hugh in TX - 2011-03-02 4:18 PM  I wear a bright jersey when I ride to help me be seen.

Good tips I've learned from years of riding bikes and motorcycles.  I look like the circus coming to town when I ride.  The tip to maintain a straight line is good as well.  Don't be tentative.  When you commit to making a move go.

Good point - if you're going to ride on the shoulder -- do it.  If you're going to ride in the road -- do that.  If you're waivering in between you are unpredictable and confusing to drivers.
2011-03-03 7:55 AM

User image

Regular
Brandon, MS
But do not ride as far to the right as possible.......you need to protect the lane (you have a right to be there too).  If you do not have a shoulder, then ride in the right side of the lane and make traffic go around you.  If you give them an inch they will take a mile.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling safety question... Rss Feed