General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flat spot in my rim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-03 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alpharetta, Ga.
Subject: Flat spot in my rim

Hey friends,

I just picked up a used set of Mavic CXP33's and they came with Dura Ace hubs front and back and 10 speed Dura Ace cassette, with new tires and tubes. I thought I got a great deal, but on my first ride I felt something odd and upon further inspection I find a flat spot in the front rim.

Has this happened to anyone else and anyone have suggestions as to how to fix it? Do I just need to buy a new rim and switch out all the parts, or can it be repaired.

Thanks for any help that you guys can give. I'm doing the Diabetes Tour de Cure on the 12th and would like to have something resolved by this weekend.

2011-03-09 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3382031

User image

Gilbert, Arizona
Subject: RE: Flat spot in my rim
I recently bought some rims that I thought had a flat spot and they were not true either.  I took them to IronGear in Mesa to have them checked out.  Turns out the tension on the spokes weren't correct and it caused the radius to be out of whack (which caused a hop in the wheel) as well as a wobble.  He did a great job fixing them at what I thought was a reasonable price.  Normal cost to true a wheel is $15 but since he had to almost rebuild them it was $20 a wheel.  I had asked them to do a complete tune-up and wheel truing which was supposed to be $75 and because the bike was in good shape overall they only charged $65 despite the extra wheel work. 
2011-03-09 11:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alpharetta, Ga.

Thanks Rocky,  I have read a bit on the issue and that is what I learned as well. Now my problem is that I moved to 59th ave and Thunderbird. Not very easy for me to get to a shop in Mesa.

Anybody know of a shop either central or west phoenix that I can trust my wheel to? I have a couple shops near me, but they all have new, very young mechanics and I am just a bit leary about havng this done by someone who hasn't done it before.

2011-03-10 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
You might want to try Rich at Performance at 83rd and Thunderbird.  Close to you, and Rich has done some good work for me in the past.  If you're willing to go a little further, I can give you contact information for Mark Sampson, my regular mechanic.  He works from his house in Surprise by appointment and his company is called Cyclismo Puro.  Just let me know if you want his info.  Good luck.
2011-03-11 12:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alpharetta, Ga.

If Rich was the guy that was going to school at MMI, he graduated and went back home to Colorado a few weeks ago. I saw him on his last day. He was great, but now they have new mechanics and one part time guy that's been there for a while.

I'd be open to using a guy in Surprise if you wnat to PM me his information. I don't think that I'll be able to see him before the Tour de Cure this weekend, but I don't mind riding the 35 miles on the rim as it is.

2011-03-11 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
PM Sent!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flat spot in my rim Rss Feed