General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5x5 regimen help please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-04 11:38 AM

Regular
Albany, Ga
Subject: 5x5 regimen help please

I wanna implement a 5x5 type regimen 2-3 x week.  Compound movements for power, strength, preservation of muscle mass, and prevention/protection from injury for endurance sports.  Squats, dead lifts, bench press, military press, rows, planks, etc

For those who have experience, I was hoping to get your help figuring out how hard to "go at it" per workout etc.  I am thinking a 85% to max or more each time might be too much strain etc.  but I don't know?  In the past, I have been more of an isolation movement,  mid-range rep type lifter who has been out of lifting for years minus the occasional bowflex workout. 

Thanks for your help, I have read some great posts here! 

2011-03-04 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3382688

Subject: RE: 5x5 regimen help please
I (almost*) follow the stronglifts.com regimen. It consists of squats, deads, bench press, overhead press, inverted rows, and a few (optional) core exercises. For triathletes the core stuff is probably overkill, we get enough of that from s/b/r.As far as effort goes, stronglifts has you start with an empty bar, then add 5 pounds every session. It sounds kinda silly to start with so little weight but it does add up quick and its really important to get the form right on these big lifts. If you are an experienced lifter you can probably start with more but I would deload significantly at the beginning. For instance, I started this program about this time last year, I didn't start with an empty bar because "I know what I'm doing". About 4 months later my body felt like crap, joints ached, always sore, had a brand new pain in my knee, etc. Sure I was lifting a lot (for me) but I didn't have good form and it quickly took a toll on me. I had to take about 6 months off from lifting. I restarted the program on january 1, this time on an empty bar. I'm about 4 weeks away from what I was lifting before except this time I actually feel good! Where was I going with this....? Oh yea, effort. Start light, progressively build the weight. ESPECIALLY since you're coming from an isolation lifting background, I did too.*I say almost because I only lift twice a week instead of three times. I also do both workouts (see the site) back to back about half the time. I'll probably stop doing this when the weight gets a little heavier and I ramp up my bike/run this spring.
2011-03-04 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3383200

Regular
Albany, Ga

Great response Thanks!  I will apply your logic b/c I had the same issue with running.  Going to hard, too often got me repeated achilles and calf issues that derailed my training.  I finally rested it, then began a simple beginner program along with self massage (foam rolling etc) and have been injury free now since December!  I did feel like a chump running for 1 min and walking a min but hey...progress.  Swim and bike are miles ahead of running for me so this has been great!  Looking forward to throwing some iron around couple times a week though.

2011-03-05 12:32 AM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Here's a 5x5 plan that was billed for "intermediates." The columns represent week, percent of 1 rep max, and sets and reps. So, for example, if your 1 rep max on a lift is 200, the first week you'll used 140 for 4 sets of 5 reps. As you can see, only the second week is a true 5x5.

1 70% 4x5

2 80% 5x5

3 65% 3x3

4 85% 3x5

Another good plan is Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. He has it in an ebook that sells for $20. Not a true 5x5 plan but a good plan for basic strength.

"Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe is also a good, basic strength plan.

Then there is the "one hard set" 5x5 plan. Basically you start with a warm up weight, do sets of 5 reps, keep adding weight until you get to a very challenging but doable set of 5. It may take a little more than 5 sets but the first two warm up sets should be easy and should not count to your total of 5 sets. Next workout, try to use more weight on that final set.

Finally, there is the "patient lifter's" 5x5 plan. Basically load the bar with what you think you can do for 5 reps. Obviously, you won't get 5 reps for all your sets. You may do something like 5, 3, 3, 2, and 2. That's perfectly fine. Stay with the same weight until you can do 5 reps for all 5 sets. You'll need to be patient because you may need to use the same weight for 2-3 weeks.
2011-03-05 9:37 PM

New user

Hmm...for me, 5x5 or SS along with SBR would be overkill.  I am doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and I REALLY like it.  You can google it.  The e-book costs about $20, but you can probably find it for free somewhere.  If I remember correctly, he said it was meant to be done in conjunction with other activities.  I only lift 2x a week with it and, while the weight increase isn't as rapid as SS or 5x5, you definitely get stronger.  It works for me, anyway.  Laughing

2011-03-08 8:11 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
If you want to do 5x5 just download the spreadsheet off stronglifts.com and plug in your maxes.  It should kick out a workout for every lifting session.  You may overtrain your legs though if you training for anything longer than a sprint tri.  Be very in tune with what's happening with your body.

2011-03-09 7:59 AM

Regular
Albany, Ga

All good replies and thanks! 

My thoughts are to do a 2 x week Starting Strength regimen doing an A and a B workout every week.  I have been out of lifting for quite some time, so I am gonna have to somewhat ease into it anyway.  My arms may break off at the shoulder if I try to max, so I'll estimate that.  After I get a base established, I will work off some of the percentages suggested in the above replies.

Maybe I will learn some stuff worthy of passing along in the coming weeks...

2011-03-26 6:16 PM

Victoria

5X5 is a great workout. You stay fresh and strong through all 5 sets. With only 5 lifts you are able to max your lifts better and stay fresh so your form stays strong.

The most important thing to do is check your ego. Weight lifting has a way of getting into your head. Then before you know it you're lifting to heavy and becomeing prone to injuries. Triathloning  requires a limited amount of strenght before it becomes counter productive.

I have found it best to cap my sessions. I set a goal weight and max at that weight. It helps keep your personal weight under control while allowing your strenght to increase continuously.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5x5 regimen help please Rss Feed