General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running heal strike or toe strike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-05 12:09 PM

User image

, Oregon
Subject: Running heal strike or toe strike
So I was running this morning and had the thought of what is a better running technique.  I am a heal striker.  I tried the toe striking method for a short distance it feels weird but that is probably because I have never ran that way.  Just wondering what other people thought.

2011-03-05 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3383981

User image

Subject: RE: Running heal strike or toe strike
I'm working on making the change to a more "barefoot" running style.  It's really more of a midfoot strike than a toe strike.  It definitely is a different feel but I'm liking it.  Running has never been my strength but I've noticed I feel much lighter and quicker.  I have been following a plan of gradual progress which has been recomended.  You use different muscles and it is noticable in your calves and ankles.  If you go to http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot there are some good tips including video's that I've found helpful. 
2011-03-05 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Unless your current footstrike is causing problems, you are most likely best sticking with what comes naturally. Where your foot strikes the ground is much less important than where it strikes in relation to you centre of gravity.

Shane
2011-03-05 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I will have to say whichever your are comfortable with. It takes months to adjust to a different foot strike...I went from heal to mid foot strike without asking for advice and just reading all the hype and got overuse injuries in both calves and now am trying to get over achilles tendinitis. More important than how your foot strikes is getting your cadence up to about 180 steps/min and having your feet hit the ground under your center of gravity (pretty much underneath you or just slightly forward)
2011-03-05 3:55 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

idahocraig - 2011-03-05 1:09 PM So I was running this morning and had the thought of what is a better running technique.  I am a heal striker.  I tried the toe striking method for a short distance it feels weird but that is probably because I have never ran that way.  Just wondering what other people thought.

I think too many people worry about which part of their foot hits the ground first, and that instead they should just make sure it lands under their center of gravity instead of in front of it.

2011-03-05 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3384040

User image

Elite

gsmacleod - 2011-03-05 2:04 PM Unless your current footstrike is causing problems, you are most likely best sticking with what comes naturally. Where your foot strikes the ground is much less important than where it strikes in relation to you centre of gravity. Shane

x2 ......believe me, if you start drastically modifying your gait patterns you are opening a "can of Whoop A$$" on you lower extremity...do whats natural for you...

with that said i am a heel striker unless i am sprinting

2011-03-05 7:04 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Heel, forefoot, or midfoot is more a byproduct of the rest of the stride, and shouldn't really be something you strive for on its own. I just wrote up a piece on my blog about it: http://welcome-to-briders-place.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-am-not-role-model.html Pretty much sums up what's been said here.

2011-03-05 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I don't know what a heal striker is, but I was a heel striker. Is a heal striker a person with natural regenerative abilities?

More to the point of the OP. The goal isn't so much to eliminate a heel strike, it's to eliminate overstriding. Part of that process can involve drills where a person will land on their forefoot, as that makes it very difficult to overstride. Once you get to the point where your feet are landing closer to under you as opposed to way out in front of you, it doesn't matter what part actually strikes first.

Be aware that this process can take 4-12 months depending on how much you run and how quickly your muscles/tendons/ligaments, etc. adapt. It's also a process you need to commit to entirely. Going back and forth between the techniques can be a recipe for problems. It may not yield any immediate gains in speed either. That will come as a result of being able to run more.

As a heel striker I was not able to run much more than 20 miles/week without experiencing debilitating pain. I made the switch 8 years ago and last year averaged just over 60 miles/week for the entire year. All with no pain. I run every day as well and haven't missed a day in almost 5 months.

There are lots of shoe options available now to help with the process. The Merrell Trail Glove, Newtons or VFF are prime examples. Shoes with big clunky heels and large heel to toe drops make the process more difficult.

Take it slow, be consistent, and be prepared to deal with some pain in the calves and likely the achilles until you adapt. You will likely blow off doing well in races this year, but long term this could be a benefit toward a rewarding running career.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running heal strike or toe strike Rss Feed