General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » How to go from a Sprint to Olympic?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-05 5:34 PM

New user

Subject: How to go from a Sprint to Olympic?!?!
I have done 2 sprints in 2010, and I love it. I have 4 more sprints planned and at the end of those four I have my first Olympic. Is there any pointers or things I should know that is the major difference between the two??

2011-03-05 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3384284

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Subject: RE: How to go from a Sprint to Olympic?!?!

Gnakamoto - 2011-03-05 6:34 PM I have done 2 sprints in 2010, and I love it. I have 4 more sprints planned and at the end of those four I have my first Olympic. Is there any pointers or things I should know that is the major difference between the two??

X2, i was thinking the same thing ....

2011-03-05 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR

what are your goals for the Olympic?  If its just to finish, you will build a good base training for the sprints, but I would include some longer distance training to get your body used to the increase.  If you want to make it your "A" race, choose a training plan for Olympic distance from this site, or from a book, etc...and incorporate the sprints into your training plan (i.e. take the friday before the sprint easy, you don't need much of a taper for those).  

Everything else should be the same.  If you don't carry water/sports drink for sprint distance, I might suggest training with it and getting a bit of a nutrition plan down, especially if your olympic is in a hotter time of the year.  

good luck!

2011-03-06 11:30 PM

New user

Albuquerque

I am in about the same boat. I am going to do a sprint or two before my first olympic tri in July. The biggest difference other than the obvious distance that I can see is that the swimming is no longer in a pool - this will mean a few changes, especially if the water is cold enough to require some type of wetsuit...

My two cents.

2011-03-07 5:46 AM
in reply to: #3384364

User image

Expert
BoobieDr - 2011-03-05 8:12 PM

what are your goals for the Olympic?  If its just to finish, you will build a good base training for the sprints, but I would include some longer distance training to get your body used to the increase.  If you want to make it your "A" race, choose a training plan for Olympic distance from this site, or from a book, etc...and incorporate the sprints into your training plan (i.e. take the friday before the sprint easy, you don't need much of a taper for those).  

Everything else should be the same.  If you don't carry water/sports drink for sprint distance, I might suggest training with it and getting a bit of a nutrition plan down, especially if your olympic is in a hotter time of the year.  

good luck!

I would agree with Bobbie's statement. I would approach a Olympic as you would a sprint however the need to increase the volume of your training. Nutrition is another thing that will be a new variable. On your long bikes and runs make sure you start bringing in nutrition to keep your tank full. I personally don't like taking in food, so I get all my calorie intake by drinking fluids. I use Infinit Nutrition, where my formula was customized to fit my needs which I got from getting a sweat test and found the for my distances. Anyway good luck and remember to race your race. 

Cheers

Scott

2011-03-07 1:29 PM

2011-03-07 3:17 PM

Evidently my last post was in invisible font. 

I did my first OLY last year among some other sprints. I  knew I wanted to do well at the OLY so I designed training around that race.  I just backed out the weeks of training from the OLY and began that plan.  I had trained under a "Sprint" plan before that.  But, my caveat, I am a MOP to BOP'er. 

"Practice" nutrition during your longer rides and runs and you should be fine. 

Good luck and have fun.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » How to go from a Sprint to Olympic?!?! Rss Feed