General Discussion Triathlon Talk » yet another thread seeking advice on which bike - but with a twist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-07 8:29 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: yet another thread seeking advice on which bike - but with a twist

So yet another thread on tri bike vs road bike and I'm hoping the peanut gallery could lend some insight.  Here's my specific question.

I used to be an avid road biker but that was a long time ago.  I bought my road bike in HS (Old Raleigh Technium with suicide shifters!) and road that thing for a good 15 years. So I'm pretty comfortable on a road bike already.  Even had aero bars mounted (improperly) and was able to ride with that setup comfortably.  Upgraded components over time to 105.  Alas, the frame started to show it's age and developed some cracks.  I haven't been on a road bike in 5 years now though. 

I've committed to doing my first tri this year and have been training on my full-suspension MTB with slicks.  I'm geared out on the bike at this point.

I've never done club rides and don't really expect to start as they never seem to fit my schedule.  I'm fine biking solo most of the times.  I love SPEED and even though I haven't even done my first tri yet I find myself loving training in three different sports.  Breaks up the monotony a lot.

So if you've made it this far ( I thank you for that) here's my dilemna.  LBS has a Cannondale CAAD 9 (SRAM Rival) and CAAD 10 (full 105) both under $1400.  They also have two Slice 5s for around the same price on clearance.  I only have the budget for one bike.  Which bike would you recommend for me?  Thanks in advance.  Everyone's insight here is greatly appreciated.

2011-03-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3385971

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-07 8:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: yet another thread seeking advice on which bike - but with a twist

Thanks for the response Foggy,

I guess at this point I'm still all hyped up about actually training for a Tri so all my rides have been training rides and I'm pretty content with that.

When I just go out to ride with family and friends I break out the mountain bike.  Most of them have mtbs too and if we're on the road I'm usually pulling my daughter in the Chariot.

The only thing throwing me off the tri bike is that it's not great for hills and not a manuverable.  Just how much worse than a road bike is it?

2011-03-07 8:45 AM

Elite
Miami

not sure if this will answer your question but maybe help you decide.  most people will throw in the argument of safety on a tt vs a road bike.  personally the way i see it is, do you want to do group rides?  its much easier to do so on a road bike, and more comfortable.  riding a TT bike on the hoods (for me) is so akward, it doesn't feel good.  doing so for a 60 mile ride with a group is torchure.

if you are only going to race this bike and ride it solo, why not a tt?  if you plan on throwing in lots of group rides probably a road bike is a better choice.

2011-03-07 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3385999

Extreme Veteran

Ditto on what everyone else said, but don't let the hills and handling thing sway your decision.  Buy the bike that fits what you plan to do.  I assume each of these deals you're looking at fits you properly, right?

2011-03-07 9:14 AM

Extreme Veteran

Yeah.  I'm working with a LBS to get fitted.  It's funny because they have two guys that work there.  Both do tri's but one is incredibly biased against TT bikes and won't ride one (hard care old school) and the other has a TT bike that he rides.  I get confused everytime I talk to them.  haha.

Edited by wushunut 2011-03-07 9:18 AM

2011-03-07 9:37 AM

Master
Bellevue, WA

This one is easy.   Points:

A) you have past road bike experience, even with aerobars
B) you love going fast
C) you bike solo most of the time
D) you don't expect to do "club rides" in the future
E) your current bike isn't cutting it for your upcoming tri
F) you can't buy both a tri bike and road bike
G) you get different and opposite advice from your local "experts" (and here, too, I'm sure)

Conclusion: buy the Slice 5 tri bike.  No question.

2011-03-07 9:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
I was in almost the exact same situation as you last year, minus the past riding experience.  I went with the road bike and while it is a great bike I REGRET not going with my gut and buying the Tri Bike.  Now I have a road bike, want a Tri Bike, and don't have the money or wifes support to get one.  It sounds to me like your gut is telling you to go with the Tri Bike, you are the one that will ride it and have to live with it.
2011-03-07 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3386136

Regular
I was recently faced with this decision and it comes down to your personal preferences/plans to ride. I personally will be doing most of my rides solo but will do some group rides and I'll be doing a few tris each year on it. BUT! I don't do long stuff. The tris I do are all sprints and possibly an olympic down the road. Most of my rides are 12-25 miles and hard.

I have a custom guru evolo being made right now. I went with the road bike because I can hold the drops for a long time and its not uncomfortable for me on the length of rides I do. I'm not an experienced bike handler so I was a bit worried about only having the aero's to handle with.

I'm confident the bike I'm getting will suit my needs. But I'm sure I could shave a few seconds by going with a tri bike instead---still I feel I made the right choice for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » yet another thread seeking advice on which bike - but with a twist Rss Feed