General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5th metatarsal avulsion fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-07 11:21 AM

Subject: 5th metatarsal avulsion fracture

Hi there, just over 6 weeks ago I sprained my ankle quite badly (high heels, slippy floor) and also got a non displaced avulsion fracture in the tuberous part of my fifth metatarsal, a complete break. The doctor gave me a removable boot and said I could walk on my heel. I tried to do this but the ankle sprain made the boot very uncomfortable so a lot of the time I just hopped or used my heel, except when I left the house.

After 3.5 weeks there was no change on the x-ray, which I found really depressing, but the pain had gone down quite a lot and the doc said I could walk flat-footed. I just had the 6.5 week x-ray and it has started to fuse together from the inside and seems to have healed from a third to half way in - however there is still the same gap (quite large it seems to me) on the outside, where there is also a bony lump (still not displaced).

The doctor has said I can walk normally now but not step up on my toes, jump or run - I'm a bit worried this is taking a lot longer than it should, even though the pain has all but gone unless I press it hard, because that the gap is still pretty big. Is it normal to heal inside out in this way or do you think this gap is stubbornly going to stay - any advice that might set my mind at rest would be appreciated, would you say this is still within normal healing time or should I try something else? Thanks for your help.

2011-03-08 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3386330

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Subject: RE: 5th metatarsal avulsion fracture

I had an alvulsion fracture of my 5th metatarsal, where the bump is on the outside of my foot (tendon pulled away and splintered away the bone).

I was in a boot for 8 week and then a foot brace for another month.  I broke it at Christmas and it took until about May to get where I could run with minimal pain.  My doctor told me that fractures like this heal to about 90% within 8-12 weeks, then take about a year to heal up the rest of the way.  My foot would randomly hurt for about a year, which was a lovely bonus.  My husband had an identical fracture and had the same experience.

What I felt set me back the most was the loss of leg strength in my affected leg.  I was allowed to swim, as long as I didn't kick much or push off the wall with that foot.  It took me about a year months before I felt like I could swim normally.

Sorry I don't have better or more reassuring info for you!

2011-03-12 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I had a stress fracture on the 5th metatarsal at the end of October and was in a boot until the end of the year, and just now building to running 2-3 miles. It still aches a bit on the longer runs. I think it just takes time, especially for a bone like that which gets stressed in so many directions with those tendons and such, and has to work all the time we are upright.

Sounds like yours is healing quite nicely, considering! Keep the faith, and let it heal up completely so you don't ever need to wear that darned boot again. (that's my mantra anyway)
2011-03-18 7:55 PM

I did the same thing in early August.  By the end of October I was running a few miles and by Jan I did a half mary.  It still aches every now and then if a storm is coming but otherwise no real issues.  The 6 weeks in a boot felt like a year, but just do what the doc says until you get cleared.
2013-09-24 11:41 AM
in reply to: mountain_erin

I just found out yesterday that I have this fracture. Stepped on a rock while running on Friday and turned my foot out. Had to drag myself 1/4 mile home in the pouring rain.

I was diagnosed yesterday and the doctor put me in a boot and told me to come back in a month for follow-up. He told me I can walk around as tolerated in the boot, but I'm reading conflicting things on the internet and don't know if it's safe to continue weight bearing.

Can you tell me if you were allowed to walk in the boot so soon after the fracture occurred? I want to recover ASAP and don't want to do anything to interfere with that.

Thanks,
Beth
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5th metatarsal avulsion fracture Rss Feed