General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back from plantar faciitis?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-03-11 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3391323

User image

Subject: RE: Coming back from plantar faciitis??

Hi
I was training with plantar fasciitis, but I am doing it carefully, consulting my doc.
I was also running and I was dealing with plantar fasciitis for more than a year. There are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual.

At the beginning I took a complete rest and gradually started walking and running.  I started with a 3 miles walk with 1 minute jogging every 5 minutes. Gradually increased the jogging duration and the pace.  Must be patient!

Did you try Plantar fasciitis taping? I have found it very useful. I think it has made the difference for me. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine and exercises. I am done with the heel (over PF) pain and I am still taping my feet while running.

Take care & Good luck

2011-03-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3391323

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Coming back from plantar faciitis??

My PF has mostly gone away by doing the following:

• stretching legs more, especially the calf/achilles tendon areas
  • exercising feet (alphabet type motions) and hip/glute muscles
  • massaging bottom of feet with a golf ball regularly...
  • warming feet (PF) up before stepping on floor after waking up...
  • running at recommended (optimal) training paces.

The last bullet may be the reason why I hardly feel PF anymore. Before, I was possibly running way too slow, possibly below my optimal training pace. That may have caused many of the aches and pains I was suffering (tight ITB, tight achilles, PF). In the past 3 weeks, I have been running within recommended zones (mcmillan, jackdaniels, etc.) and I've noticed that I'm not feeling those aches and pains anymore...It could be mental, but those aches and pains are minimal now.

One thing that you can do to help mitigate PF is sleeping in socks, especially those that support arches. I read somewhere (google is your friend) that one of the biggest causes of irritation to the PF can be stepping on the floor when you wake up...you should warm up the PF first, before standing up...this prevents further irritation.

Having said alllllll that, I'll still be proactive about preventing PF by continuing to perform the above actions...

Good luck!

Edited by d00d 2011-03-12 1:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back from plantar faciitis?? Rss Feed  

of 2