General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron Girl Tri race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-10 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
Subject: Iron Girl Tri race

Anyone register for this 1st annual race that is May 22 in New Orleans?  I just signed up for it..its an all women race and was wondering if anyone else has signed up yet?

Cheers

Dawn

2011-03-10 11:24 PM
in reply to: #3392044

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Tri race

Dawn,

I am registered for this race. It will be my first tri and I am so excited. I am going to Mandeville tomorrow to try on  the iron girl wetsuit. Still not certain I'll definitely need it, but probably going to get it anyway. I'll need it to do some OWS ahead of time, so I'm thinking I'll need one.

Are you planning on wearing a wetsuit? Just wondering. The website recommends it, but the folks at bicycle world in New Orleans say it may not be needed in May. I'm not sure what I'll do.

Glad to see someone else registered. I've got a few other friends from Hammond registered as well. We're all getting excited as it gets closer. It will be a first for all of us Hammond girls. I have also been taking swim classes at Francos and think I've gotten a few Mandeville people interested.

Shelly

2011-03-11 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la

Hey Shelly,

So cool that your signed up..its not my first tri race..im a bit of a vet on it.  Ive done four Rocketchix races and saw this one coming up and i knew i had to do it.  I dont have a wetsuit and have been looking online for one.  I know i have time..and its true what you heard about the water temps in may..they may be just right..but for a back up plan im planning on getting one.  Have to let me know where in Mandy your getting your suit at.  Ive never owned one so im new when it comes to wetsuits. 

Ive been thinking of taking that triswim class francos offers.  The swim is my weakest part of the race and I heard the trainer at Francos was the best in showing you great forum.  I was planning on going there this weekend to inquire about the classes. 

I can understand your excitement about the race..i know i was at my first one..and i was glad to see this race was ows..all mine in the past have been in a pool.    My email is [email protected] hit me up sometime if you want a riding partner with you or your fellow tri girls.  More the merrier i say.  Maybe we all can meet up that morning for early start morale.

Take care and talk to you soon.

Dawn

2011-03-11 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

Dawn,

Sent you a message to your email.

Shelly

2011-03-14 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la
i never got your email shelly, can you resend it. 
2011-05-09 10:59 AM

Hey ladies! I too am planning on doing this race.. I just found out about it 4 days ago! I am extremely thrilled & nervous! I don't even own a bike yet lol.. But, I am stubborn enough to think I can do it.. Any tips or advice you can provide will be awesome.. Swimming is my weakest part as well.

have a great day and thanks in advance!

D

2011-05-09 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la

Hey there Dosh,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tri races..this one is a good beginner one..and like you, im pretty weak in the swim..but for me its more a panic feeling of finishing..and not being last in the water.  As far as tips..try to ride like a couple times a week..run the same as well build up.  My rule of thumb on these races is..try to ride, run or swim a little bit further than the race is mapped out for.  I can run over 3.1 miles non stop..so the 5k is easy..and i can ride further than 15 miles..im trying to do the same in the swim.. so map out your practices to cover all three as much as you can..but dont over train..and add a couple of weight training days in the mix too..and like many have told me..just have fun..do it..cause you want to just finish..and feel great that you did.  I know some of us plan on meeting up to at least say hi..and wish luck..let me know what your planning on wearing for the race..and what number if you get it and we can encourage each other on a great race..

Take care

Dawn

2011-05-10 11:37 AM

Dawn-

Thanks for your help! I will  let you  know my number and info! Any encouragement would be GREAT! Recently I purchased a cheap bike, because I am not certain how I would feel about the race once I finish ..

thanks again fro the advice!

2011-05-10 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la

My first tri race i used a mtn bike.  It was the same distance as this one in new orleans.  I pretty much went cheap to just to see how id do on it.  It was after that i bought a road bike.  They arent cheap..but if i was going to dedicate myself to doing races each year i wanted to have something good.  Also, make sure you have good running shoes..cant go cheap on them..youll feel it in your back and knees.  The water is going to be rather  warm..i would say 78 degrees if not more..so a wetsuit i doubt youll need.  At this time my coach told me cause they opened the spillway the water swim might be changed..or canceled due to high bacteria..but theyll announce that at the packet pick up the day before.  Id put all your stuff in a backpack..towel, running shoes, goggles for the swim, anything youll need to set up at transision.  Which is where your bike, and running stuff will be.  Eat light the morning before..i usually have pb toast and a banana..and put sports drink in one of my bike water bottles.  Its a short one so its not going to burn u out to much..but if its your first..you might want the extra fuel.  And just enjoy yourself.  They are making a big deal out of this one cause its the first in the city..so im expecting a big turn out.  Feel free to ask anything you want.  I just finished my first tri of the season last weekend..and it was the longest one ive done..to date..my overall plan is to do a half iron the end of oct..i guess i have high goals.

talk to you soon

Dawn

2011-05-10 2:28 PM

Dawn:

GREAT STUFF! Thank you so much! Yes, I'm not sure how much I can really get into this, but while I have somewhat of some downtime, I thought I would try it! I coach, so it's tough to get away.. I hope they don't cancel the swim, or they move it somewhere else, I would like to try the full thing. I will be there at the meeting on Saturday! Congrats on your triathlon! It seems like it would be so rewarding!

thanks!

2011-05-11 6:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la

I believe they will put on the swim..seems like the water quality wont be as bad.  There is a Olympic race going on this weekend in or around the same area ours will be and they say the water will be fine to swim in.  It is a great accomplishment finishing a full one..it lets you know that you can do just about anything if you put your mind to it.  As much as i hate the swim portion of tri racing i still push through it and do races.  High five to you for taking on this event.  It should be alot of fun.

Cheers

Dawn

2011-05-18 2:45 PM

Thanks again Dawn!

Has anyone heard about water quality? I have been hearing and reading conflicting reports! thanks in advance for your help!

Dosh-

2011-05-19 7:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville, la

Ive heard that is going to be ok..but it seems the last two races that were held in the lake..were only called off due to high winds..so no telling if its going to be the same for us on sunday or not.  Me personally wouldnt have my feelings hurt if the swim was called off..lol. but so far it seems to be ok..im sure well find out more first thing sunday morning.  I plan to be there rather early.

Good luck girl..and hope to see you there.

D

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron Girl Tri race Rss Feed