General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interesting conversation with Tri Club Organizer... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-16 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Interesting conversation with Tri Club Organizer...

I'm entering a Duathlon organized by a Triathlon club. I read the competitor information on the site and it's not clear to me that Tri bikes are allowed, so I call the number on the web site to check. A friendly helpful guy answered.

Me: Hi there, I'm entering the duathlon on '***" and I wanted to check if Triathlon bikes are allowed in the race.

Tri Club Rep (sincerely and without hesitation): What's a Triathlon bike?

Me (pretty taken aback): Ehm...well....it has different handle bars to a road bike.

Tri Club Rep: Does it have brakes?

Me (glad I did not get into a bike geometry discussion): Yes.

Tri Club Rep: Then it's allowed. Good luck.

That was it. I guess I'm all set then! Wink

Edited by sjwwebster 2011-03-16 2:43 PM

2011-03-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3400733

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Interesting conversation with Tri Club Organizer...
sjwwebster - 2011-03-16 1:42 PM

I'm entering a Duathlon organized by a Triathlon club. I read the competitor information on the site and it's not clear to me that Tri bikes are allowed, so I call the number on the web site to check. A friendly helpful guy answered.

Me: Hi there, I'm entering the duathlon on '***" and I wanted to check if Triathlon bikes are allowed in the race.

Me (pretty taken aback): Ehm...well....it has different handle bars to a road bike.

??Tri Club Rep: Does it have brakes?

??Tri Club Rep: Then it's allowed. Good luck.

Well, they aren't really called triathlon bikes, they are called time trail, or TT, bikes, so his confusion is actaully understandable. Now, in regards to your confusion...
2011-03-16 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3400738

User image

Veteran
bryancd - 2011-03-16 3:44 PM

Well, they aren't really called triathlon bikes, they are called time trail, or TT, bikes, so his confusion is actaully understandable. Now, in regards to your confusion...

So...a bike that has triathlon geometry strictly speaking is a Time Trial bike and is not called a "triathlon bike"? Jeez it must me be then. Yikes! I guess that makes sense given that you can use a road bike or a TT bike in a Triathlon. The conversation has taken a twist back in my direction. Smile

2011-03-16 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Agreed, however the term "Tri bike" and "TT bike" are used so interchangeably in the triathlon world one would expect that a Tri Club rep would know the difference.  Now if he was just being jack wagon, then that's a different story.  But I assume by the "does it have brakes" follow up question he was just clueless.

2011-03-16 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
Denver
Probably just a parent/relative that is volunteering to help out. No biggie.
2011-03-16 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3400747

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
sjwwebster - 2011-03-16 1:50 PM
So...a bike that has triathlon geometry strictly speaking is a Time Trial bike and is not called a "triathlon bike"?

Almost. A bike that has a time trial geometry and components (steep seat tube angle, shaped tubes to be more aerodynamic, aero bars, ect.) is used in triathlons as it's a non-drafting, time trial like race, the exception being ITU. So your carriage is before your horse in this case. The guy likely knew exactly what you meant and was busting your balls. I would have.

2011-03-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3400759

User image

Veteran

bryancd - 2011-03-16 3:57 PM
sjwwebster - 2011-03-16 1:50 PM So...a bike that has triathlon geometry strictly speaking is a Time Trial bike and is not called a "triathlon bike"?
Almost. A bike that has a time trial geometry and components (steep seat tube angle, shaped tubes to be more aerodynamic, aero bars, ect.) is used in triathlons as it's a non-drafting, time trial like race, the exception being ITU. So your carriage is before your horse in this case. The guy likely knew exactly what you meant and was busting your balls. I would have.

I am now tempted to call back and ask if Vespa scooters are allowed, as long as they have thin wheels and ??time trial geometry, just to see what he says. Smile

2011-03-16 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I think as long as you pull a wheelie for the entire course you will be fine on the vespa
2011-03-16 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3400767

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
sjwwebster - 2011-03-16 3:02 PM

sjwwebster - 2011-03-16 1:50 PM So...a bike that has triathlon geometry strictly speaking is a Time Trial bike and is not called a "triathlon bike"?

I am now tempted to call back and ask if Vespa scooters are allowed, as long as they have thin wheels and ??time trial geometry, just to see what he says. Smile

"Does it have brakes? Then it's allowed. Good luck!"
2011-03-16 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3400759

User image

Extreme Veteran

I would have said "Nope, only DUATHLON bikes are allowed!" Laughing

2011-03-16 8:16 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
bryancd - 2011-03-16 2:44 PM

Is that an Arizona accent?

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2011-03-16 8:17 PM

2011-03-16 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3400753

User image

Elite
Sous - 2011-03-16 3:54 PM

Agreed, however the term "Tri bike" and "TT bike" are used so interchangeably in the triathlon world one would expect that a Tri Club rep would know the difference.  Now if he was just being jack wagon, then that's a different story.  But I assume by the "does it have brakes" follow up question he was just clueless.

X2..../they should know what you were talking about......even the Ads that are flashing on this website say triathlon bike.....maybe you just got a office worker on the phone

Edited by FELTGood 2011-03-16 8:28 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interesting conversation with Tri Club Organizer... Rss Feed