Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-03-17 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3401951

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid)
Aarondb4 - 2011-03-17 11:42 AM

I have to wonder what is educational about "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark"?

Why is it in the school library to begin with? Regardless of the age of the child I doubt there is a lot of educational value in this book.

You could say the same basic thing about most fiction... It is a great tool for parents with kids that don't like to read to get them into books and also talk about plot, rising/falling action, antagonists, etc. At least that is what helped me.

2011-03-17 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3401884

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
KeriKadi - 2011-03-17 10:13 AM

AcesFull - 2011-03-17 10:05 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-03-17 9:47 AM

Should be burn them too?

I think sitting down and talking with him and deciding not to read is the right approach. I think holding the school responsible for your sons choices is the wrong approach.

Ensuring that reading material is age-appropriate is FAR from book-burning.  I do think that the school bears some responsibility for having age-appropriate books in the library.  By your logic, the school could have copies of Hustler on the shelves

Really? Because that would be appropriate for 5th and 6th graders? The book in question seems like it would be fine for a child in 5th or 6th grade.

Some school libraries break the room down by appropriate ages/grades and some do not. Some are broken down K-2 and 3-5 or 6. However, I can see how not every library has this option. Maybe they have limited space.

There are going to be a lot of things that happen at school parents do not agree with. We can only control what we can control holding the teacher responsible for a childs every action is keeping them from teaching which is a HUGE problem in most schools.

I don't see where anyone suggested to hold teachers responsilbe for "a childs every action" (?)

Or did I miss something?
2011-03-17 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3401957

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
JChristoff - 2011-03-17 11:44 AM
Aarondb4 - 2011-03-17 11:42 AM

Why is it in the school library to begin with? Regardless of the age of the child I doubt there is a lot of educational value in this book.

You could say the same basic thing about most fiction... It is a great tool for parents with kids that don't like to read to get them into books and also talk about plot, rising/falling action, antagonists, etc. At least that is what helped me.

Agreed, as mentioned above, often just to get kids interested in reading and books - all of it helps their comprehension and reading level.  Most kids wouldn't be checking anything out if it was all the classics and encyclopedias

2011-03-17 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3401821

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area

I understand that there are 1000's of books in an elementry school library, but I do expect someone to know what is in every book and not the teacher. 

The school library could put a little color sticker on each book for what would be age appropriate, not a perfect system but something. 

My son can't can't rated R videos, rated R games from a store, but can walk into the school library and borrow any book he wants.  That doesn't seem right to me.

2011-03-17 10:51 AM

Champion
South Jersey
I didn't read all the posts. Interestingly, I remember reading "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" in the library when I was in elementary school (I was in 3rd or 4th grade at the time). I forget all the stories -- except for one (or maybe I only read one).  It was about a high school student who was driving home after a basketball game or something, and a truck followed her the whole way home, randomly flashing his high beams. Turns out, a guy with a knife had snuck into her back seat when she was at the game and every time he sat up to stab her, the truck flashed his high beams to scare the guy into laying back down (the girl had no clue the guy was back there). The girl made it home and safely out of the car. As soon as I started driving, some 8 or 9 years later, I started the habit of checking my backseat before getting into my car...all because of that story. I've never found anyone in there, but it's probably a good habit.

(I do think that story, or a similar story, has appeared elsewhere, too.)
2011-03-17 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Yes, you have a right to be angry. Go talk to the school and librarian and work on a solution.

I've had 4 children go through public schools. I can count on one hand the times I needed to talk with a principal or teacher about an issue. They were always very helpful and understood my concerns.

Ps...for those who say he doesn't have a "right" to be angry, I would ask on what basis would you deny him this right? You may not agree with his reason, the guidelines of a school library, how he parents, etc. But doesn't he have a the "right" to be angry?

2011-03-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3401965

User image

Melon Presser
Bmel - 2011-03-18 12:49 AM

I understand that there are 1000's of books in an elementry school library, but I do expect someone to know what is in every book and not the teacher. 

The school library could put a little color sticker on each book for what would be age appropriate, not a perfect system but something. 

My son can't can't rated R videos, rated R games from a store, but can walk into the school library and borrow any book he wants.  That doesn't seem right to me.

Okay. That's one suggestion.

Who, or what, might thoroughly know the contents of every single book in the library?

Who, or what, and how, might decide what is age appropriate?

Who, or what, and how, sees to it that no child of inappropriate age can get that book out of the library?

2011-03-17 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3401973

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
SquirrelGravy - 2011-03-17 10:54 AM

Yes, you have a right to be angry. Go talk to the school and librarian and work on a solution.

I've had 4 children go through public schools. I can count on one hand the times I needed to talk with a principal or teacher about an issue. They were always very helpful and understood my concerns.

Ps...for those who say he doesn't have a "right" to be angry, I would ask on what basis would you deny him this right? You may not agree with his reason, the guidelines of a school library, how he parents, etc. But doesn't he have a the "right" to be angry?

Everyone has a right to feel the way they feel, without question.

However, what matters is what you intend to do with the emotion you're feeling. If you feel something is wrong, take appropriate action to remedy it.
2011-03-17 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills
Heh,  This thread is why it is impossible for the school to control the content in all cases.  Some are ok with it and some not.  Who decides.  I do not want other parents deciding what I want for my child.  I am sure there are many who feel the same way.  I like freedom.
2011-03-17 11:04 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I have a 3rd and 6th grader.  I would not be angry about the books...even for my 3rd grader.  But if you have issue with it you should talk to the school principal.  I know my wife and I have on several occassions for other issues.  I'm sure there can be some resolution.  I also agree that it's the parents job to communicate to their children what is acceptable.  We are very strict with what we feel is appropriate TV for our kids.  They know when they are at a friends house that they cannot watch certain programs.  As far as I know...they only crossed this line once and I don't think it will happen again. 
2011-03-17 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3401965

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Bmel - 2011-03-17 11:49 AM

We're talking about an elementary school library - it's hardly extensive holdings ...

But it's funny that you mention video rentals - you never know. My sister had a friend who is ridiculously tall. She could rent R rated movies without question by the time she was 12.  So they did - and now that I think about it's funny that no one ever asked - we were in a small town.  Different situations.

Definitely there's a right to feel what you feel - you can/should approach the school - have a discussion.  But it also should happen with your son. 

2011-03-17 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3401948

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
juniperjen - 2011-03-17 11:40 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-03-17 11:36 AM

How does the libarian know what you are OK with?

I just had a discussion with my 15 year old son, reading him some of the responses.

He says he knows lots of kids who read books/watch movies/play video games he was not allowed to play/read/watch but their parents are OK with it. My XH has a 2nd grader that is allowed to play Mature video games.

So.... how is the librarian supposed to know what is OK with you? Maybe you need to make a list.

Different people have different opinions on what is appropriate.

And 2 librarians for an entire school isn't really a full staff. You might want to find out if determining appropriateness of childrens choices is in their job description.

Totally agree, Keri - frankly the school is in a no-win situation.  Let's say another child tries to check out the book but is refused.  The child tells his parents. Their reaction is different and insists that it's their child's discretion and their parenting to decide what he should or shouldn't be reading.  Then the librarian is in trouble for censoring. Totally no win.

I know one summer when i babysat i would take the kids to the library.  The boy was not a reader at all but letting him check out books on bats, snakes, scary stories got him interested in reading ... not what I would prefer but I wanted him to read something!

There is such a thing as a public library where you can take your child and pick out a book with him/her.  That is not the case in the school library and should therefore be under a bit more stringent guidelines don't you think?

2011-03-17 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
having read all of this, and not being a teacher or a parent, take this with a grain of salt. You did the right thing discussing this with your child and helping them understand what is ok and not ok to read and why. Great for you as a parent. In regards to the school, you have a couple of options I can see. You can realize they are hard pressed for man hours to be able to do everything you might want them to as a parent and so hope they are focusing on the important learning pieces and let the less important stuff slide. You could volunteer at the Library to help out and see how the system works so you could potentially offer suggestions to improve it, or you could use it as an opportunity to open up dialogue with the principle/teachers just as it was a learning point for your son. Discuss the issue with them and offer any solutions you might have and ask for their input as well. They might not even be aware of some of the stuff in there, or that younger kids might be interested in some of the less appropriate material. You might not see immidiate action but it could open the topic up for discussion and possible change at the school. If you go to talk to them just don't go there as an enemy but instead as a partner in your sons education (I do not know you or how you react but angry yelling parents do not usually get the best reception at a school or for ideas)
2011-03-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3401976

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area
TriAya - 2011-03-17 10:56 AM

Who, or what, might thoroughly know the contents of every single book in the library?

Who, or what, and how, sees to it that no child of inappropriate age can get that book out of the library?

There should be someone in charge of the library, who puts the books back on the shelf, when a book falls apart who throws it out.  Someone should be in charge of the library and that same person is the one who checks the books out.  A child can't just walk into the library and decide to take a book.  When my son doesn't turn his books back in on time the school they let me know very quickly.

If nobody knows what is in the books, then there could be inappropriate material for all ages of the school.  So I would say, someone should definitly know what is on the shelf.

I would be fine with the education system deciding on age appropriateness for a book and I would ask them to caution on not letting a child check out a book if it's borderline.  If the school tells my son he can not borrow a book, and he asks me about it, then I can talk to him about it, look at the book and I would get him the book if I feel it's appropriate.

This is a great thread, it is really making me wonder how my our elementry school handles and I am going to look into it.

2011-03-17 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

We had those when I was in early elementary school (and I was in CATHOLIC SCHOOL!). I turned out okay. Truthfully, the creepy pictures were part of the attraction, I think.

2011-03-17 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3402002

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Bmel - 2011-03-17 9:09 AM

There should be someone in charge of the library, who puts the books back on the shelf, when a book falls apart who throws it out.  Someone should be in charge of the library and that same person is the one who checks the books out.  A child can't just walk into the library and decide to take a book.  When my son doesn't turn his books back in on time the school they let me know very quickly.

If nobody knows what is in the books, then there could be inappropriate material for all ages of the school.  So I would say, someone should definitly know what is on the shelf.

I would be fine with the education system deciding on age appropriateness for a book and I would ask them to caution on not letting a child check out a book if it's borderline.  If the school tells my son he can not borrow a book, and he asks me about it, then I can talk to him about it, look at the book and I would get him the book if I feel it's appropriate.

This is a great thread, it is really making me wonder how my our elementry school handles and I am going to look into it.

Or maybe, just MAYBE, there should be some one in charge of the child, called a parent.

2011-03-17 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3401951

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Aarondb4 - 2011-03-17 10:42 AM

You do know that there are regular books in the school library, right? I mean "free reading" books.

in reply to: #3401996

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area
juniperjen - 2011-03-17 11:06 AM
Bmel - 2011-03-17 11:49 AM

We're talking about an elementary school library - it's hardly extensive holdings ...

But it's funny that you mention video rentals - you never know. My sister had a friend who is ridiculously tall. She could rent R rated movies without question by the time she was 12.  So they did - and now that I think about it's funny that no one ever asked - we were in a small town.  Different situations.

Definitely there's a right to feel what you feel - you can/should approach the school - have a discussion.  But it also should happen with your son. 

I agree Parent/Child discussion is the most impotant thing.  Having nephews that are 7,11,12 I have had to have way more discussions on sex and the human body with my son at the age of 5 then I ever thought I would have to.  I just don't think he should get it from the library.

If my son did bring home a book i found inappropriate I would just talk to the school, I wouldn't be angry.  Now if I have to read "The Hungry Catapillar???" one more time, I may yell :-)

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Bmel - 2011-03-17 11:09 AM

And there are some parents that would be angry with this.  Just because you are ok with it does not mean that everyone else would be too. 
2011-03-17 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3402019

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area
briderdt - 2011-03-17 11:20 AM

Or maybe, just MAYBE, there should be some one in charge of the child, called a parent.

Come on Dude!  There has to be some trust in the Education System.  We are not talking about a Public Library.  Off your statement, then everyone should just home school their children.  Why send them to school to have someone else teach them, it's your child, you should teach them.

2011-03-17 11:25 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Bmel - 2011-03-18 1:09 AM

Okay, these were my questions, and below--verbatim from your reply--are your answers. See how I'm not convinced this would work?

Look, I'm open. I'm willing to be convinced here. But not one single person in this thread has proposed a practical, implementable system.

I don't think it's possible. But again, I'm all ears.

And sure, it's all good to go and speak with school officials--but what would parents say? It might be wise to think of practical solutions to propose, either on an individual-child or a systemic basis, that parents and school employees could reasonably work together on to implement.

Otherwise, people are just blowing hot air over a non-solvable issue.

Who, or what, might thoroughly know the contents of every single book in the library? someone

Who, or what, and how, might decide what is age appropriate? the educational system (still doesn't answer how)

Who, or what, and how, sees to it that no child of inappropriate age can get that book out of the library? someone in charge of the library (still doesn't answer how)

2011-03-17 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3402019

User image

Champion
briderdt - 2011-03-17 12:20 PM

I am sure the school would love that, a parent for every child in school with them all day long.

2011-03-17 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3401847

User image

Veteran
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 10:56 AM

not quite into burning books....

So you think the educators of my child, the guardians of my child through times that are very influential in his life, should not be held accountable for the material he is allowed to select......so, no restrictions on web sites he browses from the school IT room?    I'm sorry, I think the school have the responsibility to guide a child away from inappropriate material.  and in my mind this isn't close to appropriate.

First of all you are the guardian of your child not the school or it's teachers.

Lets just say we don't let the child take the book home and then get the call as to why we are restricting your child from reading what he likes...

What is not appropriate for you may be for someone else.

Where, how do you draw the line?

I think that is a parents responsibility and you can choose what you think is or is not appropriate.

2011-03-17 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3402044

User image

Champion
trisagain - 2011-03-17 12:31 PM
dewybuck - 2011-03-17 10:56 AM

not quite into burning books....

So you think the educators of my child, the guardians of my child through times that are very influential in his life, should not be held accountable for the material he is allowed to select......so, no restrictions on web sites he browses from the school IT room?    I'm sorry, I think the school have the responsibility to guide a child away from inappropriate material.  and in my mind this isn't close to appropriate.

First of all you are the guardian of your child not the school or it's teachers.

Lets just say we don't let the child take the book home and then get the call as to why we are restricting your child from reading what he likes...

What is not appropriate for you may be for someone else.

Where, how do you draw the line?

I think that is a parents responsibility and you can choose what you think is or is not appropriate.

The school not providing you with a book you want to read is not restricting what your child may read.  There is a big difference between restricting and not supplying.

2011-03-17 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3402036

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
TriAya - 2011-03-17 11:25 AM

QUOTE]

Okay, these were my questions, and below--verbatim from your reply--are your answers. See how I'm not convinced this would work?

Look, I'm open. I'm willing to be convinced here. But not one single person in this thread has proposed a practical, implementable system.

I don't think it's possible. But again, I'm all ears.

And sure, it's all good to go and speak with school officials--but what would parents say? It might be wise to think of practical solutions to propose, either on an individual-child or a systemic basis, that parents and school employees could reasonably work together on to implement.

Otherwise, people are just blowing hot air over a non-solvable issue.

Who, or what, might thoroughly know the contents of every single book in the library? someone

Who, or what, and how, might decide what is age appropriate? the educational system (still doesn't answer how)

Who, or what, and how, sees to it that no child of inappropriate age can get that book out of the library? someone in charge of the library (still doesn't answer how)

I think some people have listed solutions above.

One solution is that for any assignments where a student has to choose a book, the parent is given the option to take their child to the public library or bookstore and pick out a book with them. That way the parent has the responsibility for guiding their child's selection of reading material.

As far as the concerns with "manpower" availability of implementing solutions. Really? All the librarian would have to do is refer to a list of which kids have permission from their parents to check out books on their own. Doesn't seem too labor intensive to me.

Edited by SquirrelGravy 2011-03-17 11:42 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I right to be angry..........(warning images are horrid) Rss Feed  

of 6