General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinking on the bike...the old fashioned way Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-17 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Drinking on the bike...the old fashioned way

Being new to the multisport arena I had a question about drinking on the bike.  I know the real answer is to get a hydration system.  But are there any tips and or tricks or drills for keeping a steady line while peddaling and reaching for a bottle to drink?  It seems that after all the miles that I have put in on the bike I still stop pedalling and I will always pull out of a pace line to drink.  The amount of energy wasted by both actions is tremendous; especially the robbed momentum.

A between the bars hydration systems is not a reality right now so I wanted to get some ideas on how to get a bottle and replace it while under power!

2011-03-17 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3402535

User image

Regular
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Drinking on the bike...the old fashioned way
It sounds like you have some pedal stroke inefficiencies..........get on a trainer and do one-legged drills, or get on rollers.  Either of these will help you pedal evenly and soothly.........not only will this help your hydration, but you'll be a better cyclist.
2011-03-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3402554

User image

Veteran
Interesting thought; but I am a computrainer rider all winter and sure my spin scan is not 50/50 but it is 52/48.  Riding rollers is surely a good idea but being a computrainer addict makes that one tough.  It seems that every time I reach for a bottle I swerve; maybe some core exercises are needed.
2011-03-17 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3402554

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Practice practice practice!

Practice reaching down while not looking.
Practice pulling out the bottle and not jerking/swerving (maybe need a different style of bottle holder that's easier)
Practice taking a drink, pulling the bottle to the side of your face so you can see ahead.

You can do it!  Here's a cute web site about it: http://bikenoob.com/2010/06/06/how-to-drink-from-a-water-bottle/

I have a hydration backpack that I sometimes use on longer rides, which is nice, but being able to drink from a regular bottle is the most useful overall.
2011-03-17 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3402558

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Northern ivy - 2011-03-17 3:36 PM Interesting thought; but I am a computrainer rider all winter and sure my spin scan is not 50/50 but it is 52/48.  Riding rollers is surely a good idea but being a computrainer addict makes that one tough.  It seems that every time I reach for a bottle I swerve; maybe some core exercises are needed.

That will definitely not hurt.  You shouldn't be putting as much weight on your handlebars, which causes the swerve.  You might also need to change your position on the bike?
2011-03-17 3:42 PM

Regular
Garner NC

If you're riding a road bike, grab the bars right next to/on top of the stem with your steering hand, before you reach for the bottle. You'll have less leverage on the bars so it's less likely to swerve and less drastic if you do.

The rollers suggestion is great. If you can drink from your bottle without wobbling or crashing on the rollers, then you should be good enough to manage during all but the fastest pacelines.

HTH,

Dave

2011-03-17 3:49 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
A buddy of mine uses a small camelback.  Not Ideal, but keeps him in the pace line..  (Training rides of course)..
2011-03-17 4:27 PM

User image

Elite
I just use a torpedo set up for training but contemplating a speedfill for longer races....I too lose some momentum with pedaling  and could practice more but I dont need to reach down, so the chance of losing balance is slim and I reload it up between aerobars when done drinking.
2011-03-17 4:35 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to learn bike handling skills.  You should definitely be able to grab a bottle without swerving.  Here's a set of drills that might help:

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/Bike-Handling-Clinic_-Drill-that-Skill.htm

2011-03-17 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Pa
You asked about drinking on the bike on St. Paddy's day? And you were talking about REhydration? Booo! I was ready to be amused. The trick is to look forward while reaching for your drink. It is when you turn your head that trouble arises!
2011-03-17 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3402660

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

I respect but disagree with the poster who recommended gripping the bars near the stem when drinking.  When you're drinking keep your driving hand on the hoods or horns within easy reach of the break lever.  Also recommend you get in the habit of holding the bottle in your left hand. In an emergency you will want to grab the rear brakes first and avoid grabbing the fronts.  Better to be ready than Superman without a cape?

Cheers.

2011-03-17 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3402692

User image

Regular
Fit4Infinity - 2011-03-17 6:23 PM

I respect but disagree with the poster who recommended gripping the bars near the stem when drinking.  When you're drinking keep your driving hand on the hoods or horns within easy reach of the break lever.  Also recommend you get in the habit of holding the bottle in your left hand. In an emergency you will want to grab the rear brakes first and avoid grabbing the fronts.  Better to be ready than Superman without a cape?

Cheers.

x2

I also heard the same advice in this post from some more experienced guys. I'm left handed so I'm already used to that, also squeezing to the side is good, something I don't do yet but should start. Also I think that having your hands wider on the hoods makes things more stable, the narrow grip makes things less stable. Maybe drill by reaching farther than you need to like down to your foot and focus on staying straight then do some where you reach for the bottle and go through the motions. Do this while you're outside on the road, it sounds like you spend a lot of time on the trainer and I know that may be out of necessity due to weather and other things but getting outside would be good.

2011-03-18 5:29 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I third the use of rollers, as they provide immediate feedback and many people don't realize they aren't holding their line until they really make a big swerve.  However, you can also practice on your bike outside, working on keeping your wheels on a line on the road.  Start by practicing just parts of the movement.  Ride with one hand off the bars.  Ride with a hand behind your back.  Reach down and hold your ankle while you are riding forward.  Throw each move in to your rides frequently (during warmup, cool down, or recoveries between intervals). Practice drinking, practice looking under your elbow, practice looking over your shoulder...

Single-leg drills on a trainer, core exercises in a gym, and such will not suddenly make you able to handle a bike.  To get better at a skill, you have to practice the skill.

2011-03-18 6:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN

X4 on the rollers.  Honestly, there is no better way to learn to ride in a straight line.  When your in a paceline and the speeds get into the upper 20's to low 30's, it is easy to tell who has ridden rollers and who hasn't.

A bonus with the rollers, when you can grab a bottle and drink or ride no hands, you know your bike handling skills have improved.

2011-03-18 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3402650

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Experior - 2011-03-17 6:35 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to learn bike handling skills.  You should definitely be able to grab a bottle without swerving.  Here's a set of drills that might help:

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/Bike-Handling-Clinic_-Drill-that-Skill.htm

x2

Shane
2011-03-18 6:57 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

It's been a while since I've had an "old fashioned", but I've never tried drinking one on the bike.  Some entrepreneur has already come up with a special holder, cover and straw attachment (and perhaps an extra large old fashioned glass).

Ingredients

• sugar cube
  • 3 dashes Angostura bitters
  • club soda
  • 2 ounces rye whisky

Glass Type: old-fashioned glass

Instructions

Place the sugar cube (or 1/2 teaspoon loose sugar) in an Old-Fashioned glass. Wet it down with 2 or 3 dashes of Angostura bitters and a short splash of water or club soda. Crush the sugar with a wooden muddler, chopstick, strong spoon, lipstick, cartridge case, whatever. Rotate the glass so that the sugar grains and bitters give it a lining. Add a large ice cube. Pour in the rye (or bourbon). Serve with a stirring rod.

2011-03-18 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3402650

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Experior - 2011-03-17 5:35 PM

Very informative article for me.  I have never done any drills and whatever handling skills I have are simply because I have ridden a few thousand miles.  As soon as the weather breaks enough I will add these drills to my WU's and CD's to become more proficient and I hope to start riding in groups for the first time since I started riding 2 years ago.

2011-03-18 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3403079

User image

Payson, AZ
dredwards - 2011-03-18 4:29 AM

I third the use of rollers, as they provide immediate feedback and many people don't realize they aren't holding their line until they really make a big swerve.  However, you can also practice on your bike outside, working on keeping your wheels on a line on the road.  Start by practicing just parts of the movement.  Ride with one hand off the bars.  Ride with a hand behind your back.  Reach down and hold your ankle while you are riding forward.  Throw each move in to your rides frequently (during warmup, cool down, or recoveries between intervals). Practice drinking, practice looking under your elbow, practice looking over your shoulder...

Single-leg drills on a trainer, core exercises in a gym, and such will not suddenly make you able to handle a bike.  To get better at a skill, you have to practice the skill.

I am a fairly good rider but the rollers still scare the crap out of me.  So if your like me and are chicken , before I even got the rollers I am oh so scared of, I use to use the white line.  Don't do it in the rain of course, but I use to test how well I was holding my line by staying on that white line.  Oh, and don't do it in heavy traffic.

2011-03-18 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3403134

User image

Veteran
Now you get props as this was a great response!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinking on the bike...the old fashioned way Rss Feed