General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Official" time vs. MY time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-15 1:26 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: "Official" time vs. MY time
Yesterday I completed a race that I did once before (June). They use a "new" timing system (CAD?), that is disposable. It's the bib# with the chip built into it. You do your swim WITHOUT it and pin it on your shirt (or skin for you masacists), at T1 and keep it from there on.

The first time I did the race they didn't even get my number off my arm so they coulnd't give me a time for neither swim nor T1. Luckly, I happened to look at my Polar and took note note as I lef the water and continued from there.
Yesterday, I took my own time again but this time they did give me an "official" time (their time-26min), (my time-18min).

In all my other races, they've used the official timer for USAT (forgot what it's called), and I've had no problems. My times always match theirs (give or take a few seconds).

Has anyone had issues like this as well, am I loosing my marbles or could it be this race only?

I'm not going to win any prizes yet but I hope to one at least one 1st place in my age group (maybe next year?), and this will put a damper on me if this continues with other races with similar issues.

2005-08-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: #225620

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: "Official" time vs. MY time

I did an Oly earlier this season with no timing system whatsover...just a bunch of volunteers writing down numbers/splits at a couple of checkpoints.  Sure enough, they missed me out of the water and made up very inaccurate splits.  Unfortunately, my watch wasn't functioning properly, so I didn't get the split either.  But they were photographing the event and I knew exactly which person followed me out of the water.  I found her in the photos and used her split which seemed 'about right.'  But...they got the overall time correct which is all that matters really.

Timing issues happen...it sucks.  Generally, as long as the overall time is correct it shouldn't matter for age group prizes, etc.  And it's really hard for them to mess up overall time.  Try your best to get them on your watch in case their system balks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Official" time vs. MY time Rss Feed