General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery Week: Intensity, frequency, duration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-21 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Subject: Recovery Week: Intensity, frequency, duration

Just wondering what the consensus is on recovery weeks. I am using a 4 week cycle (3 weeks + 1 recovery).

How does everyone out in BT world train during recovery weeks? Do you decrease intensity? decrease frequency? decrease duration?

For the past 2 months I have been maintaining Intensity, maintaining frequency (maybe drop 1 workout), and significantly decreasing duration.

What are the expert opinions on this? 

Thanks!

2011-03-21 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3407192

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Recovery Week: Intensity, frequency, duration
I think recovery weeks are generally a waste of a week.
2011-03-21 3:43 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
crmorton - 2011-03-21 2:03 PM

Just wondering what the consensus is on recovery weeks. I am using a 4 week cycle (3 weeks + 1 recovery).

How does everyone out in BT world train during recovery weeks? Do you decrease intensity? decrease frequency? decrease duration?

For the past 2 months I have been maintaining Intensity, maintaining frequency (maybe drop 1 workout), and significantly decreasing duration.

What are the expert opinions on this? 

Thanks!

decrease all of the above.  Recovery weeks can be very valuable for your body and your motivation, especially if you really pushed it on your 3 week.

2011-03-21 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I love love love recovery weeks. I had one one week ago and another in 2 weeks. Man. For the plan (marathon) I am on it is only reducing total volume, so the intensity is the same.

That said, I think I am developing a habit of letting the workouts from the week before and the week after evade into the recovery week so that I end up doing more volume in the recovery week then planned but make the end of the week before and the beginning of the week after a bit easier.
2011-03-21 3:54 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I don't take recovery weeks on any predetermined ratio but take some rest days or decrease training based on how I feel.

In past years I have done 3/1 and 2/1 but found when I trained consistently my body handled it better and I got sick less often so since 2009 that is what I have done.

The 3/1 pattern is something Friel promoted and others especially in the US have followed but what I understand his conclusion from the research that set up that pattern was a bit flawed.

2011-03-21 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3407429

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario

I love the recovery weeks too. I push pretty hard on the 3 weeks of build/base (whatever you call it), the recovery week really feels like a week of healing (emotional, physical, motivation goes up...).

Just not sure what approach is best. I know in a week of reduced activity, I want to be sure my fitness does not drop much. I suppose the aim is to have the fatigue level drop significantly, while maintaining fitness. Just not sure what the best approach is.

2011-03-21 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3407378

User image

Master
Baltimore

JohnnyKay - 2011-03-21 4:27 PM I think recovery weeks are generally a waste of a week.

x2.  Recovery takes a day off or a day or two of very easy workouts for me.  I couldn't imagine a whole week like though.  key words there are "for me" - YMMV.

2011-03-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3407449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
jsiegs - 2011-03-21 4:57 PM

JohnnyKay - 2011-03-21 4:27 PM I think recovery weeks are generally a waste of a week.

x2.  Recovery takes a day off or a day or two of very easy workouts for me.  I couldn't imagine a whole week like though.  key words there are "for me" - YMMV.

I think the goal of a recovery week is different than what is accomplished when taking one day off. I think it is similar but not the same as the weeks following a HIM or IM, or similar but not the same as one of the weeks in a two-week Taper for a big race. 

2011-03-21 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3407460

User image

New user
Canandaigua

Total training volume is the combination of three variables:

1.  Duration
2.  Intensity
3.  Frequency

I prefer to lower an athlete's duration for the week but maintain most of the intensity and frequency. Not everyone is built the same, and some people prefer several days off in a row to totally recover. Personally, my legs begin to feel a bit "stale" if I just take time completely off and many people I've spoken to are the same way.

Regardless of the approach, the idea behind either a recovery or taper week is to allow the body to rebuild and repair the effects of long-term training stress and to avoid overtraining.  Keep notes in your training log of what approach works best for you so that you can better plan your recovery and taper strategy as your season progresses.

2011-03-21 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3407460

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
crmorton - 2011-03-21 5:04 PM

I think the goal of a recovery week is different than what is accomplished when taking one day off. I think it is similar but not the same as the weeks following a HIM or IM, or similar but not the same as one of the weeks in a two-week Taper for a big race. 

If you are training so hard during the 3 weeks 'on' that you need a week 'off', then you should probably back off the 'on' weeks and pick up the 'off' and do more work overall. 

Your life may dictate a schedule like that or it may help you mentally (which are both fine), but from a training perspective it serves no real purpose to take a 'recovery' week every 4.  That doesn't mean recovery isn't important or that some weeks won't be 'bigger' than others.

2011-03-21 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3407895

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

JohnnyKay - 2011-03-21 7:35 PM

If you are training so hard during the 3 weeks 'on' that you need a week 'off', then you should probably back off the 'on' weeks and pick up the 'off' and do more work overall. 

Your life may dictate a schedule like that or it may help you mentally (which are both fine), but from a training perspective it serves no real purpose to take a 'recovery' week every 4.  That doesn't mean recovery isn't important or that some weeks won't be 'bigger' than others.

I'm with Johnny on this one. I don't do recovery weeks, though I'll take easy days if I need to.

2011-03-21 11:49 PM
in reply to: #3407892

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
NiceTriCoaching - 2011-03-21 8:33 PM

Total training volume is the combination of three variables:

1.  Duration
2.  Intensity
3.  Frequency

I prefer to lower an athlete's duration for the week but maintain most of the intensity and frequency. Not everyone is built the same, and some people prefer several days off in a row to totally recover. Personally, my legs begin to feel a bit "stale" if I just take time completely off and many people I've spoken to are the same way.

Regardless of the approach, the idea behind either a recovery or taper week is to allow the body to rebuild and repair the effects of long-term training stress and to avoid overtraining.  Keep notes in your training log of what approach works best for you so that you can better plan your recovery and taper strategy as your season progresses.

This is the way to do it if your into periodized training. Personnally I feel it is a legitimate way to train and peak for key races and has been used by many top athletes in endurance sports.

2011-03-22 8:48 AM

I think periodized training is the way to go. I've had 6/6/7 hour weeks, now doing a 5. I just need to back off a bit. Same intensity, just shortening up a bit. And it feels OK to do so. Thats a sign that I needed it. After this week, will go for a 6.5/7/7.5 week, and back off with a 5.5/6....I think that this approach works. There is nothing like going into something with a plan, that has an endstate of some "rest" in view. Conversely, nothing worse than just slogging away at the same routine...how long can you do that?
2011-03-22 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3407895

User image

Champion
Calgary
JohnnyKay - 2011-03-21 8:35 PM

crmorton - 2011-03-21 5:04 PM

I don't understand what you are saying. If you are able to train consistently all of the time then it seems pretty clear you should be stepping it up a notch on some weeks to realize your potential. Why wouldn't you? And then, wouldn't your normal week be a recovery week.

A recovery week, from my understanding, is not easy. It is just easier than other weeks. Most people cannot hammer every workout/week/training cycle but to be able to get the adaptions you need you need to be able to hammer a workout/week/training cycle. So you need a break. Not for life. For your body.

I am so confused about how anyone can say they are a waste of time. Every plan I have seen incorporates a planned recovery week. And it is different for it to be planned then haphazardly placed on a daily basis whenever your energy level feels low or whatever.

Sure, a "week" is just semantics, it could be 3 days it could be 10 but gee, there has to be a plan to it.

I don't get your last sentence.
2011-03-22 9:01 AM

User image

over a barrier
Aside from getting over sickness, work conflicts, recovering from a race, or perhaps mental reset; I do not schedule recovery weeks.

I don't always schedule rest days either. IMO, you should be able to recovery for the next session with 24 hrs. I don't back up very many hard days in a row, I use lighter workouts after hard workouts to not bury the athlete in fatigue. If you change up Intensity level and duration correctly you don't need recovery weeks.

You don't even need to follow a 7 day training cycle, but it works well with life/calendar commitments.
2011-03-22 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
For folks who train year-round like many on this site, it can be for mental break more than anything.  For me, it charges my batteries for the next 3-4 weeks and keeps me looking forward to workouts.  It is normal to feel like you will lose fitness (quite the opposite) and in my case really keeps me going for the long hall.   In the case of a specific, short term plan say 8-12 weeks, a few days vs. a whole week may be more beneficial. 

2011-03-22 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3408248

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario

running2far - 2011-03-22 10:01 AM Aside from getting over sickness, work conflicts, recovering from a race, or perhaps mental reset; I do not schedule recovery weeks. I don't always schedule rest days either. IMO, you should be able to recovery for the next session with 24 hrs. I don't back up very many hard days in a row, I use lighter workouts after hard workouts to not bury the athlete in fatigue. If you change up Intensity level and duration correctly you don't need recovery weeks. You don't even need to follow a 7 day training cycle, but it works well with life/calendar commitments.

I like the 7day training cycle for the reasons you have noted. I am in a position where I am trying to increase volume over time. Over the winter months it was 8-10hrs per week and pretty steady. I am now building up the volume and trying to peak at a 16hr week before race season. For instance, the last 3 weeks were 12.5, 13.5, 14. I really feel the difference between a 10hr week and a 14 hour week, that's for sure! This is because a high volume (for me >13hrs) week is foreign to me, and my body needs time to adapt to this volume.

If I just kept increasing 12.5, 13.5, 14, 14.5, 15, 15.5, 16; sure, I might get there faster, but in my mind I am significantly increasing the chances of injury, illness, and decrease in performance due to over-training. Hence, the periodization, my body needs to recover from the increased training load from the previous weeks that it has never been subjected to before. Maybe 24-48hrs off is all I need to recover from the building I have done for the past 3 weeks. Those 24-48 hours off will reduce your weekly volume and probably end up being what I call a "recovery week". So your method for recovering from workouts (correct me if I am wrong) is to reduce frequency of the workouts (i.e., skip a workout that would have otherwise been in your training program in order to recover), and keep all else the same. 

2011-03-22 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3408230

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

BigDH - 2011-03-22 9:50 AM

I don't understand what you are saying. If you are able to train consistently all of the time then it seems pretty clear you should be stepping it up a notch on some weeks to realize your potential. Why wouldn't you? And then, wouldn't your normal week be a recovery week. A recovery week, from my understanding, is not easy. It is just easier than other weeks. Most people cannot hammer every workout/week/training cycle but to be able to get the adaptions you need you need to be able to hammer a workout/week/training cycle. So you need a break. Not for life. For your body. I am so confused about how anyone can say they are a waste of time. Every plan I have seen incorporates a planned recovery week. And it is different for it to be planned then haphazardly placed on a daily basis whenever your energy level feels low or whatever. Sure, a "week" is just semantics, it could be 3 days it could be 10 but gee, there has to be a plan to it. I don't get your last sentence.

Every plan you have looked it has a recovery week because people expect to see it.  They believe it is "periodization".  It is not.  Recovery should be built into every plan.  And it should be adjusted when necessary.

The idea of training is to progressively overload your body and drive adaptations.  You can certainly use very big weeks (or days or whatever time frame you like) and then back off and recover (and from time-to-time, that can be a very good idea).  Or you can build, plateau, build, plateau, etc.  GENERALLY, what I see people doing for recovery weeks is a waste of training time.  They would be better off cutting back from their big weeks and doing more on those recovery weeks from a training perspective.  The reason being that they would do more total work with less chance of injury.  And likely have better recovery throughout the month.  There's no magical reason for 3 weeks on/1 week off (or any other system like that).  But, if it keeps the individual happy, motivated, etc. then it's all good.

I'm sure that's clear as mud.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery Week: Intensity, frequency, duration Rss Feed