General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last week before Taper Week! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-22 12:41 AM

Subject: Last week before Taper Week!
I'm so pleased to have made it this far into my training plan. Never before have I followed such a thing! Never before have I EVER done anything like speed work... I've enjoyed the good times and endured the bad, and now I'm nearly there! I feel as though completing this training program in itself is an accomplishment. I'm fitter, stronger and faster than I've ever been before and SO ready to earn my rewards next weekend in my 3rd Sprint Tri.

My goal is to cut 5mins from last year's tri and I'm confident this is achievable for me.
Hopefully that'll be fast enough to get within the top 3 of my AG. I missed out on 3rd place by a pathetic 2mins last year and the 1st person was 4mins ahead of me.
It's amazing to see the transformations my body has gone through and the most wonderful thing to feel so FIT and FAST! I love my tempo runs and get excited and I silently yell 'WOOHOO' as I speed along. (Silently as to not attract any more attention to myself than already... I usually push my 2.5yr old in the mountain buggy when I run and get quite noticed for this!)

I've worked long and hard towards this tri. I'm up to week 19 of 20. I've never trained any longer than 7 weeks at a time and that wasn't proper training...

I AM READY!

2011-03-22 3:53 AM
in reply to: #3407982

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Last week before Taper Week!

Congrats on sticking with the plan.  There is nothing like the feeling of completing a training plan healthy, happy, and ready to race.  You've done all the work....so far, so stick with it.  Try to enjoy the taper and don't go crazy thinking too much.  You've trusted the plan this far, don't stop.

Don't forget to let us know how you do.  Good luck.

2011-03-22 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
sweet, good work.
2011-03-22 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

Way to go!! I feel exactly the same way as the OP

Looking at my training plan on Sunday afternoon for the upcoming week I saw on Monday I was going to do a 7 mile run at 10K pace. I thought "oh crap, I'm not sure I can do that" after some self positive reinforcement on Sunday night I thought "I can run that far that fast, I can, I can..." Monday morning I got up at 4:45AM laced up my shoes, set my Garmin for a 8:26 per mile pace and headed out. I warmed up for .5 miles then picked up the pace. My runs always involve hills so my pace decreased and increased accordingly, but I knew I was running good..."keep going, keep going..." At the 10K mark I looked at my watch 52:32 (that's two minutes faster then a month ago on the same run) Now I wanted to break an hour for 7 miles. It was going to be close, at 7 miles I stopped the timer 1:00:36! Almost under an hour but more importantly 6 minutes faster then one month good Laughing

Oddly enough, yesterday I was thinking "What is the pre-taper week called" Or does it have a name?

I didn't mean to hijack your thread Inspiration but I feel like you do, I can see the hard work is paying off...KEMAH TEXAS HERE COME (4/3 OLY)

2011-03-22 9:51 PM

I think there ought to be a special name for the last week before taper! Once we've got this far we're on our way!

Yep, I'm buzzing about my tri... can't wait to see how much better I'm going to do this time!

I'm just loving knowing I'm so fit and strong. I LOVE IT!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last week before Taper Week! Rss Feed