View Member's Race Log
Chapel Hill, NC
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 143/350
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up 3.5 hours before the race and ate a bowl of serial with granola and half of a cinnamon-raisin swirl bagel with peanut butter. Drank Gatorade.
Swim
  • 04m 24s
  • 250 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went very well. I looked down at my watch as I was getting out of the pool and read 4:16, which is a personal best by 14 seconds. So I was pleased.

I cought up with a couple of guys at the end of the very last lane. Otherwise there were no traffic jams in the pool for me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

A guy next to me asked a volunteer to help him pull the shirt over his back, I am glad I didn't have that trouble and that's probably why T1 went well. I got stuck behind a guy walking his mountain bike at the end of T1, but that's ok.

Nothing short of going sockless.
Bike
  • 40m 20s
  • 9 miles
  • 13.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I was about to pump my tires in the transition area that morning when I noticed that the rear tire was flat. I proceeded to change it out with my only spare.

I came of T1 feeling strong and was passing people from the start until about mile 2 where I felt a definite bob in my rear tire. I couldn't believe it, I was having a flat on the first even ever. As I pulled off to the end of someone's driveway I was cursing like a sailor.

Luckily I bummed another tube from the Clean Machine boys helping people with their bikes by the transition area, so at least I had a spare tube to change to. The tube changing process went smoothly until it was time to inflate the tire. The first CO2 cartridge vented into the air as I struggled to release its content. Luckily I always carry two cartridges. The second one inflated the tire to maybe 80 PSI, but that was good enough; plus, that's all I had and had to live with it.

While I was changing the flat an older lady came walking down the driveway still in her robe to pick up the news paper. She saw me, smiled, and wished me good luck.

But good luck must've been somewhere else that morning because five miles I felt the same dreaded bob in the rear. I didn't know what to do. Should I get off and run the remaining two miles or just ride it out. I got off the bike and checked the tire, it still had some pressure left, so I kept on going. I stopped once more thinking that I'd run the remaining mile, but change my mind again and kept going.

Check the bike the night before. When changing a flat make sure whatever punctured the tire is not lodged in the tire still. After the race I examined all three tubes and, as I suspected, all three had punctures in about the same place. Whatever punctured the tire must've dislodged when I was riding it flat. I wasn't able to find anything in the tire.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went ok despite the fact that I knocked the bike racked next to mine off the rack.

Don't knock the adjacent bike off the rack.
Run
  • 24m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I used the two bike flats as motivation for the run. I took off, but seeing the pain, misery, and exhaustion on the faces of the runners near the finish, I backed off realizing that I was running down hill, which meant that I'll be running up the hill in this out-and-back course. Nevertheless, I was passing people. Within two or three minutes of the finish I added a little more speed to top off the race. I didn't get passed on the run.

Nothing.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat tires and lack of foresight to check the tire before putting in fresh tubes.

Last updated: 2005-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:24 | 250 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 86/350
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:20 | 09 miles | 13.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 244/350
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: The course had some rolling hills, but nothing strenuous. Before the race I did it in 29 minutes without pushing, which makes it a fast course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:31 | 03.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 35/350
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a combination of paved trails, mulched running trails, and hiking single track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-16 7:12 AM

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
Subject: UNC Wellness Center Super Sprint

2005-08-16 7:56 AM
in reply to: #226150

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: UNC Wellness Center Super Sprint

Nice job!  Were you the guy with the two tubes around his neck on the run up to T2?  If so, we were cheering for you BIG TIME!  Heck, after that experience, I might have caught a ride to the end in the Clean Machine van.

Great job pushing through!

2005-08-16 9:16 AM
in reply to: #226172

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
Yep, that was me.

Thanks for the support! People on the sidelines are a big part of what makes events like these so much fun.

I met up with Tom Petersen after the race. My wife and I were on our way out. Sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet you and the attorney.
2005-08-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: #226150

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
great job!! wow, i can't imagine getting two flats on the same course!!! you really smoked that run.
nice job. was great to meet you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UNC Wellness Center Super Sprint Rss Feed