General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri- How do I know if I'm ready Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-24 7:58 PM

User image

Subject: First Tri- How do I know if I'm ready

The real reason for the question is, living here in North Dakota, my only training for the last 5 months has been indoors on treadmills, bike trainers and swimming pools and don't know how that translates to an event. We just got 8" of snow yesterday and it will be at least 3 weeks before I can get the bike on the road.

The tri I'm working on is a sprint, with a pool swim May 1st.

I can easily swim, bike and run at least double each individual distance - even on the same day and at close to the times I want.

Haven't done a brick yet as the bike trainer and treadmills are at different locations, so I can't tell how they will go together.

I know I can finish the whole event, but any signs (soreness, energy level, ??) to look for to tell if I can run them all back to back in the time goals I have set before actually doing the whole event? I'm not dead tired at the end of any leg during training or at the end of the day when I do two or three of the legs on a given day.

I guess I'm wondering on everyone's experience what happens the day I finally put them all together back to back on the road and not on the treadmill/trainer?

2011-03-24 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3413197

User image

Master
Subject: RE: First Tri- How do I know if I'm ready
Well, there isn't anything in your logs to go by, but I think you just have first tri jitters.  If you are putting in the work, you will have no problem sailing through a sprint.  Good luck, and post a race report!!!!
2011-03-24 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Only one way to find out right?
2011-03-24 9:09 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Given your description of where you're at, you should be fine.  Keep training.  Follow the plan.   Get out there on the road when you can.  Do one or two bricks just to see what it feels like.  You'll be fine.
2011-03-24 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan
I would say if you're already doing double the individual distances you will be more than fine fitness-wise doing them all back-to-back-to-back.  Race day adrenaline will help you as well.  Try to get out a couple of times to bike just for the bike handling practice mostly.  I've also noticed myself that running outdoors feels just different enough from a treadmill that getting a couple of outdoor runs in before the race would be good too.  Doing a brick maybe a couple of weeks before the race, weather permitting might be good as well but isn't essential.  Running off the bike feels weird at first as everyone else here can attest until you get your running legs.  You will be fine but it's good to know a little about what to expect there.
2011-03-25 6:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-03-29 10:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice.

I managed to make my first brick today - bike trainer and outside run. Limited myself to 30 minutes on the bike and 30 running. The transition wasn't too bad except my knee was misaligned after the bike. About 3/4 mile into the run, I stopped and popped it back into place with a little twist and was fine after that. Still slow on the run, but it's still cold for me 34 degrees. Can't wait for the ice to get off all the roads so I can do a real ride...

2011-03-29 10:58 PM

El Paso, TX
Sounds like you will do great. I do half my runs indoor and half outdoor. Bike is 100% indoor because my wife gets nervous, and the way people disregard cyclists out here I do too. Swim is all in a pool. Currently I do about 3 or 4 sprints and one olympic each season. Although I'm not the fastest I finish each race strong. So sounds like your ready. Have fun!
2011-03-29 11:35 PM

Master
Cypress, CA
Pete1234 - 2011-03-24 5:58 PM

The real reason for the question is, living here in North Dakota, my only training for the last 5 months has been indoors on treadmills, bike trainers and swimming pools and don't know how that translates to an event. We just got 8" of snow yesterday and it will be at least 3 weeks before I can get the bike on the road.

I can easily swim, bike and run at least double each individual distance - even on the same day and at close to the times I want.

Haven't done a brick yet as the bike trainer and treadmills are at different locations, so I can't tell how they will go together.

I know I can finish the whole event, but any signs (soreness, energy level, ??) to look for to tell if I can run them all back to back in the time goals I have set before actually doing the whole event? I'm not dead tired at the end of any leg during training or at the end of the day when I do two or three of the legs on a given day.

I guess I'm wondering on everyone's experience what happens the day I finally put them all together back to back on the road and not on the treadmill/trainer?

Yeah, you're definitely ready physically.  For your first one don't sweat times too much, just enjoy the event and learn for the next one.

Do, however, spend some time reading about and thinking about your transitions.  Again, don't worry about doing a super fancy flying bike dismount, but do think about what you need, layout and sequence. 
2011-03-30 6:42 AM

Veteran
El Paso, Texas

Pete1234 - 2011-03-24 6:58 PM I can easily swim, bike and run at least double each individual distance - even on the same day and at close to the times I want.

You are much more ready than I was for my first tri, I think you are going to do very well.

2011-03-30 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3421010

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Based just on what you posted, you're ready. Enjoy.

2011-03-30 8:46 AM

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
You are ready if you have done what you have indicated.  Go out and enjoy it!
2011-03-30 9:19 AM

Master
Pete1234 - 2011-03-24 8:58 PM

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, oh wait 70's flashback sorry.

You are more ready than I was for my first 2-3 three.

Go and enjoy yourself.

2011-03-30 9:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA
You know you are ready for a race when you "toe the start line"
2011-03-30 10:07 AM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I've done hundreds of tri's, and I don't think I could ever say that when I was at the starting line, I ever felt 100% "ready". I always thought there was more I could have done, some little thing I might have missed, more miles, more bricks, more technique work...

But a funny thing happened on the way to the finish line -- whatever it was I'd done was always enough to get me there.

You've got the distance, so go have fun on race day.

2011-03-30 10:31 AM

Veteran
SE TX

A week before my first tri, I simulated the event by doing all the distances back-to-back-to-back. I felt like crap, but I got it done, so I thought I was ready. And physically, I was. Completed the tri, had a great time, felt proud, etc. Yay, me.

BUT, to know if you are REALLY ready, you must ask yourself this: am I ready to feel a rush of positive emotion on the final mile of the run that beats any drug or other feeling that I have ever experienced (barring perhaps true love and/or seeing my child born)? Do I have another $1,000+ to spend on gear over the next year? Am I ready to set goals for myself that I never would have considered just months ago? Am I ready to register for races that I thought only crazy people signed up for? Am I ready to pick up a 20-week training schedule and stick a page to the frig every week? 

If not, you are not ready. But, good luck to you anyway. Stupid triathlons.

2011-03-30 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3421366

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
briderdt - 2011-03-30 8:07 AM

I've done hundreds of tri's, and I don't think I could ever say that when I was at the starting line, I ever felt 100% "ready". I always thought there was more I could have done, some little thing I might have missed, more miles, more bricks, more technique work...

But a funny thing happened on the way to the finish line -- whatever it was I'd done was always enough to get me there.

You've got the distance, so go have fun on race day.

X2 - You will set a PR and will come away with things to celebrate and improve. Best of luck and post a race report.
2011-03-30 2:53 PM

Sounds to me like you're gonna smash it amigo ;-)

Do a little work on the bricks though hey. I quite like to hit 10 mins har bike: 1o mins race pace run x 3-4 every couple of weeks to help get the legs used to it.

You're gonna demolish that race though for sure

2011-03-30 2:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA

I was newbie this time last year. Decided to do my first tri ever in June. I was very nervous the first race, but made it through and enjoyed every minute of it. Since then I can't get enough, it becomes addicting looking for that next hit... I mean race.

My wife and friends have threatened me with an intervention

Enjoy that first race and the experience that goes along and see you on the start line.

2011-03-30 4:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-30 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3421421

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
CKTX - 2011-03-30 10:31 AM

A week before my first tri, I simulated the event by doing all the distances back-to-back-to-back. I felt like crap, but I got it done, so I thought I was ready. And physically, I was. Completed the tri, had a great time, felt proud, etc. Yay, me.

BUT, to know if you are REALLY ready, you must ask yourself this: am I ready to feel a rush of positive emotion on the final mile of the run that beats any drug or other feeling that I have ever experienced (barring perhaps true love and/or seeing my child born)? Do I have another $1,000+ to spend on gear over the next year? Am I ready to set goals for myself that I never would have considered just months ago? Am I ready to register for races that I thought only crazy people signed up for? Am I ready to pick up a 20-week training schedule and stick a page to the frig every week? 

If not, you are not ready. But, good luck to you anyway. Stupid triathlons.

haha, x2!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri- How do I know if I'm ready Rss Feed