General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping up heart rate plan from trainer to the road? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-25 10:07 AM

Subject: Keeping up heart rate plan from trainer to the road?

Things are warming up here in the NYC area. It's enough for me to do a short ride, but it's still pretty chilly though.

I've spent the winter on the trainer, doing as much as 3 hours at a stretch. I've gotten used to it -- so much so that I didn't enjoy my first spring ride that much.

One of the things that took getting used to is all the new input. I'm training for a long-distance event and using a plan that calls for me to stay in Zone 2 for say, 3 hours, or Zone 2 for an hour with 10 minutes in Zone 4 at 15:00.

I'm finding it very difficult to hew to these kinds of directions on the road. I need to ride for at least an hour before I'm in an area where I can comfortably crank it up. Otherwise, I'm slowing down quite a bit for traffic, or to watch out for motorists pulling out of their driveways.

Do you guys have any suggestions for doing long rides in the suburbs at certain heart rate zones? Do you stay on the trainer, drive out to areas where there's fewer cars, or play stop-and-go with your heart rate, spiking it when you can and going slow when you can't -- essentially riding for distance.

I suppose I can go at low traffic times too, but it's still pretty cold! Another difference between the road and the trainer that I learned it -- as cold as it is sitting in my garage on the trainer, it's even chillier on the road. I really have to bundle up -- and come home soaked in cold sweat!

Thanks.

2011-03-25 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3413920

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Keeping up heart rate plan from trainer to the road?

I am fortunate that I can get out of town in about 5 minutes.

However, I'll occasionally drive somewhere if I want to do a workout over specific topography that isn't near my house.  For example, I've taken my bike with me to work, then stopped somewhere along the route home to depart for my ride.  It's  especially efficient in Spring and Fall, because I can get on the bike earlier in the evening and maximize the little daylight I have after work.

2011-03-30 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3413920

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Keeping up heart rate plan from trainer to the road?
Really for zone 2 riding it should be a nice easy pace, I wouldnt sweat the stops, if you feel your slighting your workout then go a little further. If your plan calls for some zone 4 threshold work then just do it on a nice stretch when you can. I do almost all my outside riding in a group, my heart rate is all over the place, I just go with it. If I feel a need for short specific intervals and rest periods then I will stick with the trainer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping up heart rate plan from trainer to the road? Rss Feed