General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introduction and Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-24 6:45 AM

New user

Philadelphia
Subject: Introduction and Questions
Hello, I want to introduce myself before I begin to ask a million questions. My name is Bill 35 yrs old and live in the Philadelphia area. I have been a weightlifter for years but I always wanted to compete in a triathlon.

So I started the workouts but developed a little Achilles tendonitis that has prevented me from running but I am swimming, biking, and lifting weights. Once I heal I am planning to hit the road. I was running 12 miles a week before the injury, three miles, 4 times a week when I lifted.

Now the questions, how long are daily workouts for a sprint tri? I can only devote an hour to an hour 20 minutes a day to exercise. In swimming what does pull mean? When you lift weights how many different exercises per body part?

This is enough for now. I am sure I will have more to come.

2003-09-24 8:46 AM
in reply to: #939

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: a few answers...

daily workouts for a sprint are anywhere from 15-60minutes, check out sprint_program

regarding weight training, i assume u don't want to lose mass...if u want to maintain, (my recommendations) do 2 sets per muscle group...if u want to grow, 2-3 sets...if u just want to keep them conditioned (most people), i would say 1-2 sets.  of course your reps/weight will vary depending on your regime, but being a lifter, u should know what u need.

2003-09-24 8:30 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Introduction and Questions
I'm no swim coach, but most of the time when you hear people talking about pull and the swim they are refering to you pulling your body through the water with your stroke.

Hope that is smiple and answers your question.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-09-26 11:05 AM

New user

Philadelphia
Thank you for the advice and encouragement. I did find out what a pull was for swimming. It is the Styrofoam thing you put in between your legs that prevents your from kicking.

Since I last wrote my Achilles tendon has kicked into high gear and I am taking some time off. Swimming and cycling are hurting it as much as running. I am going to take a week and then see how it feels.

Thanks again for the advice.
2003-09-26 2:03 PM
in reply to: #976

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: go see a doc
if it is hurting u that much and interfering with swim and bike...go see a doc or podiatrist now - it may be serious.  pls don't delay.  don't waste future training time or next years race schedule - u will be kicking and cursing at yourself later if u don't do something now.  i had to do exactly the same thing and my pain seems more minor to yours.  my doc looked at my feet, shoes, recommended arches gave me lots stretching exercises and strength training once the pain was gone.  i am still recovering - not running yet but the pain is gone.  starting walk/run routine and lots of stretching.
2003-09-26 7:26 PM
in reply to: #976

User image

Central Louisiana
I didn't realize you were asking about a pull buoy. You can get a pull buoy and hold it between your legs when you swim and then you don't have to kick. This would be excellent to keep you in the water and you can focus on swim technique.

I agree with Ron, if you are haivng such a major problem right now go see your Dr.

Still Tri'n
Michael

2003-09-29 10:42 AM

New user

Philadelphia
Thank you for the suggestions and I did see a doctor. He said stop running take anti-inflammatory meds and wait. I took this week off and I am going to start back lifting for endurance for a couple of weeks and just swim.

Thanks again for the help.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introduction and Questions Rss Feed