General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Our Biggest Single Limiter: Our Weight. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-03-30 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3422026

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

in reply to: #3421987

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: RE: Our Biggest Single Limiter: Our Weight.
Davisjl - 2011-03-30 3:21 PM

tricrazy - 2011-03-30 3:01 PM So on what are you all basing your ideal weight?  BMI?  Your own perception?  What someone said you should weigh?  By BMI standards I am at a normal weight but based on the heights and weights posted on this thread I would probably be considered overweight so I am curious from where you get your standards?
BMI is a horrable indicator of "Healthy" and should be banished from ever being used again...

% fat is the best if not the only indicator or Healthy wieght and is best found (or more accuratly found) by hydrostatic wieght.  Now, that's a bit hard for most people to do, so I think using the scale that has electric current testing is ok, but keep in mind it will vary greatly from day to day or even morning to night.... use it more as a general guide than an absolute.

Saw a study a couple months ago that compared various predictors of metabolic and cardiovascular health. BMI did very poorly, as you note. Body fat % was OK. The best predictor, though, was simply waist size. Abdominal fat does bad things that fat in other areas doesn't do. Don't remember the cutoff for women; for men it was 40" (ie, you want your waist size to be less than 40").

Note this was about health markers such as longevity, cardiovascular risk, type II diabetes, etc - they weren't looking at athletic performance.

in reply to: #3422025

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
Fred Doucette - 2011-03-30 3:38 PM
Davisjl - 2011-03-30 3:35 PM
Fred Doucette - 2011-03-30 3:26 PM
Davisjl - BMI is a horrable indicator of "Healthy" and should be banished from ever being used again...

I realise you are 'joking' a bit, but BMI is still very useful for population study. It is not useful for individuals and notoriously inaccurate for folks with lots of muscle.

So in the context of a 'population' it is a useful metric.

maybe for some sort of Gereral statistcal measure.... but it doesn't reflect Healthy weight... never has and never will.  Every body builder out there would be considered Obese by BMI and they are now where near that....  I guess the problem is that people have taking it and used it in ways it shouldn't have been used or was never intended to be used...

It is a population metric. It is useful in that context. The terms that you are using like "healthy weight" are not appropriate for BMI and were never intended for it.

BMI is useful for it's purpose. ie; looking at the BMI of middle school children in a given state. People have abused it for personal BMIs etc as you say, but that was not the intended purpose, so again, it's very useful in it's given context.

BTW are you aware of the dose of radiation from a Dexa Scan?

Dexa... yes, very low but I subscribe to risk reward... I don't think the added accuracy of the Dexa scan (In my case) is worth it.  For others it maybe... I'm not knocking it at all, I think every tool has it's place along with the pinch method and the electro current scales... but they all need to be used as a guide line for each individual person and not as absolutes... one is not always better than the other.
2011-03-30 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3421639

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA

I Don;t think it should be about the weight loss as much as it should be about maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle. Having lost 60 pounds in the last year wasn't my main goal as much as it was changing my lifestyle and becoming more active. This is where most diets fail with people is that they don;t change their lifestyle after or as part of their diet. As soon as they have made their goal weight they gain it back.

Being active and enjoying sports (SBR) is the best thing that I could have done for myself. Weight loss was just an added benefit. Though I am still loosing weight would like to loose another 20 pounds, it isn't my main focus. My training is and the weight loss is following. As I get faster and stronger the weight falls off.

I think just focusing on weight loss can have a negative impact on training were as focusing on increasing strength and endurance has a better outcome.

2011-03-30 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3422033

2011-03-30 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3422033

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
alath - 2011-03-30 3:41 PM

tricrazy - 2011-03-30 3:01 PM So on what are you all basing your ideal weight?  BMI?  Your own perception?  What someone said you should weigh?  By BMI standards I am at a normal weight but based on the heights and weights posted on this thread I would probably be considered overweight so I am curious from where you get your standards?
BMI is a horrable indicator of "Healthy" and should be banished from ever being used again...

% fat is the best if not the only indicator or Healthy wieght and is best found (or more accuratly found) by hydrostatic wieght.  Now, that's a bit hard for most people to do, so I think using the scale that has electric current testing is ok, but keep in mind it will vary greatly from day to day or even morning to night.... use it more as a general guide than an absolute.

Saw a study a couple months ago that compared various predictors of metabolic and cardiovascular health. BMI did very poorly, as you note. Body fat % was OK. The best predictor, though, was simply waist size. Abdominal fat does bad things that fat in other areas doesn't do. Don't remember the cutoff for women; for men it was 40" (ie, you want your waist size to be less than 40").

Note this was about health markers such as longevity, cardiovascular risk, type II diabetes, etc - they weren't looking at athletic performance.

Intereting... i'd like to read that if you have the link.  I just read a study that said the opposite... that it doesn't matter where your fat is, ie waist fat had not better or worse effect on the body than any other location... but with the medical studies they seem to change every 5 years or so... who can keep them straight   I just take away from it that too much fat is bad, regardless of where.

2011-03-30 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3422036

2011-03-30 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3421994

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

How old are you?  4% body fat isn't abnormal for under 30 guys... but if you're older than 30 the Essential fat required by your body is more like 5.2%, so you could be doing yourself harm if you're in the 4% range and over 30... again, each body is going to be different, but it is something to check with a doctor about...

I'm 37. I'm very small-framed and fine-boned, so I have a fair amount of muscle relative to by bone/fat mass. I also like to keep up a good strength-to-weight ratio.

I never picked a specific body fat % to shoot for.

When I decided to get fit 7 years ago, I was 5'8" (still am), 205 lbs, wearing a size 35-36 pants. I carried most of my weight in the gut/butt/hips/thighs.

I set out to get into a size 32 pants for vanity, be able to do 20 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, and climb the rope hanging above the in-laws' pond hand-over-hand.

9 months later, I was 140lbs, size 28 pants, could do 25 pull-ups, 100+ push-ups, and climb the rope no sweat.

The omron impedance monitor bottoms out at 4% and would consistently show an error when I use it. For reference, I took measurements every morning at roughly the same time. Absolute caliper numbers were questionable because of the excessive amount of skin.

2011-03-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3422012

Master
Davisjl - 2011-03-30 3:31 PM
Fred Doucette - 2011-03-30 3:24 PM

Going to correct you a bit.

The new 'Gold Standard' for assessing body fat % is the Dexa Scan. Submersion is reasonably accurate but is much more technically challenging to perform. Third place would be the 'Bod Pod'

Other methods are distant 4th, 5th etc.

Yes, but Dexa Scan exposes you to Xray and isn't cheap.  When I was saying best found I was taking that into concideration and more accurate was in reference to electro current method... but if you want a more accurate number, Dexa scan MAY be better given certain conditions... there are still come issues in the way Dexa caculates body fat as it's primary role is bone mineral density, not body fat.... but there are issues with Hydrostatic measurments too.

DEXA scans use about 1/10th the radiation of a chest x-ray. They are relatively cheap $75-100. Before someone starts claiming to have single digit body fat measurements it would be better to have  a DEXA scan. The results are usually enlightening.

in reply to: #3421939

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
linfieldpt - 2011-03-30 2:02 PM

another forum im on suggested that an extra pound on you while running was 3 seconds per mile.  I dont know if that is true, but i shaved about 9 lbs before my last 20k and felt great through it! 

Im 5'11 180lbs.  Down from 200 when my boss called me fat and my dad challenged me to a triathlon(thanks guys ) I feel that my race weight will be around 170lbs.  Not that it is ideal, but I enjoy lifting weights! I dont want to look like your elite cyclist whose arms look like toothpicks and legs like tree trunks.  I dont want to look like ryan hall (altho i would like to run like him) tall and lanky.  It's not that it's not healthy, but for playing other sports (soccer, basketball, softball) i would be at a severe disadvantage.

Weight is tough to determine what is a good race weight, healthy, ideal, unhealhy etc.  Good topic! 

Exactly!  I think maybe Thor Hushovd (6' 180lbs) is one of the few exceptions nowadays.  Like a guy said earlier, he's not getting paid for it, so not too much of his concern.  I'm 6'1" and wanna drop about 20(MAX) to get down to 200 and that's it.  I'm pretty much big boned.  I cut weight for a fight once to 185 and I looked "pathetic and sickly" at weigh-ins.

No knock for those that wanna erase every possible pound to reach their unltimate race weight, it's just not for me.  Some people just have different goals and objectives.

I think my Wife would leave me anyways if I got much below 200.  I don't feel like being the guy at the beach who gets sand kicked in his face  (j/k)

in reply to: #3422045

in reply to: #3422032

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
Fred Doucette - 2011-03-30 3:41 PM

Davisjl -Again... why we should be talking % fat not weight... but, I guess I'm beating a dead horse now....

Yes you are.

The problem is not every single individual at every office visit will have access to BF%, be it whatever technique, thus weight (and of course the misuse of BMI) comes into play.

I agree with you... just pointing out "society" as a whole puts to much weight on weight   It's not going to be effective to do % body fat at every office visit (at least at this time), but it is somethign we should strive to get to... who much better would it be if we had a simple and accurate and low cost to use body compostion machine at very GP's office?  Maybe I'm just dreaming....
2011-03-30 2:50 PM

Extreme Veteran

I am fat - there I said it.

of course this is a personal measure. Maybe to others I am "normal". I know at my lightest adult weight, when I was rowing in the lightweight boat for my universities crew, I weighed in at about 152. If needed I could drop down to 148 in a few weeks but that was only a few times. I never got my body fat tested, as a poor college kid I could not afford it (and I did not go to one of those nice universities with alumni donors everywhere.) Right now I am at about 210. I have been working on getting it back and have probably dropped about 8 pounds in the last few months. It is slow but I expected it to be. If my food is not pre-packaged (IE yogurt, string cheese, etc) and is not a fruit or a veggie - I weight it before eating it and keep to a serving size. It has been tough but that, with working out, seems to be helping.

It is also nice that in the morning if I do not want to get up and go to the gym my wife pokes me and says "you told me you didn't want to be fat anymore, did you change your mind." which is usually a good motivator for me to grudge my way through getting ready and getting in a good workout. I do the same for her when she is lazy but I have to be a little more tact in what I say than she does, as she is more sensitive to the issue.

I would love to get back down to about 160, which is my goal. If I can sit there at my 5'10 height I will be happy and feel good. Once there for a bit if I can drop a few more pounds of fat, I will try but I am not sure it would be 100% necessary.

2011-03-30 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3422049

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
pschriver - 2011-03-30 3:47 PM

The new 'Gold Standard' for assessing body fat % is the Dexa Scan. Submersion is reasonably accurate but is much more technically challenging to perform. Third place would be the 'Bod Pod'

Yes, but Dexa Scan exposes you to Xray and isn't cheap.  When I was saying best found I was taking that into concideration and more accurate was in reference to electro current method... but if you want a more accurate number, Dexa scan MAY be better given certain conditions... there are still come issues in the way Dexa caculates body fat as it's primary role is bone mineral density, not body fat.... but there are issues with Hydrostatic measurments too.

DEXA scans use about 1/10th the radiation of a chest x-ray. They are relatively cheap $75-100. Before someone starts claiming to have single digit body fat measurements it would be better to have  a DEXA scan. The results are usually enlightening.

wow... 75 to 100... I need to find me one of those places.  Last time I checke they cost 250 to 300 bucks... Do you know of any in Georgia that would be in that price range?  I might be interested in it for that.
2011-03-30 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3422045

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
Aspiring - 2011-03-30 3:44 PM

How old are you?  4% body fat isn't abnormal for under 30 guys... but if you're older than 30 the Essential fat required by your body is more like 5.2%, so you could be doing yourself harm if you're in the 4% range and over 30... again, each body is going to be different, but it is something to check with a doctor about...

I'm 37. I'm very small-framed and fine-boned, so I have a fair amount of muscle relative to by bone/fat mass. I also like to keep up a good strength-to-weight ratio.

I never picked a specific body fat % to shoot for.

When I decided to get fit 7 years ago, I was 5'8" (still am), 205 lbs, wearing a size 35-36 pants. I carried most of my weight in the gut/butt/hips/thighs.

I set out to get into a size 32 pants for vanity, be able to do 20 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, and climb the rope hanging above the in-laws' pond hand-over-hand.

9 months later, I was 140lbs, size 28 pants, could do 25 pull-ups, 100+ push-ups, and climb the rope no sweat.

The omron impedance monitor bottoms out at 4% and would consistently show an error when I use it. For reference, I took measurements every morning at roughly the same time. Absolute caliper numbers were questionable because of the excessive amount of skin.

Each person is different for sure... there really is no hard numbers; however, I would look to get a more accurate calcuation and talk to a doctor about the results to make sure you're good.... at least in my mind better safe than sorry... 4% if very low to for a 37 year old and I personally would be want to get a professional opinion, but that's just me.  again YMMV.

2011-03-30 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3422052

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

It would be interesting to compare your results with Dexa, submersion or 'Bod Pod' as you have very, very low numbers. Not denying what you say, but would be interesting to see.

I wouldn't be too concerned if the "true" numbers were higher. I'm comparing how I feel and look (pure perception) and performance numbers (pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups) to a measurable index. Notice that I'm not mentioning triathlon related numbers because I'm new to the entire thing.

2011-03-30 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3422066

Master
Davisjl - 2011-03-30 3:51 PM

wow... 75 to 100... I need to find me one of those places.  Last time I checke they cost 250 to 300 bucks... Do you know of any in Georgia that would be in that price range?  I might be interested in it for that.

Where are you located in Georgia?  I may be able to set you up to have one a month for a year. That would be the equivalent radiation exposure of one chest x-ray. I would be interested to hear what you plan to do with the results.

Sorry about the hijack

2011-03-30 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3422084

Central Oregon

This is my problem: I just want to participate in endurance sports AND look like Jamie Eason.

If I could do that then I don't care how fast I am anymore. Wink

2011-03-30 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3422090

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
pschriver - 2011-03-30 4:02 PM
Davisjl - 2011-03-30 3:51 PM

Where are you located in Georgia?  I may be able to set you up to have one a month for a year. That would be the equivalent radiation exposure of one chest x-ray. I would be interested to hear what you plan to do with the results.

Sorry about the hijack

I would only need two per year... located in Sugar Hill, Georgia.

I use the results mostly to adjust diet and weight loss... I started at 230 lbs (5'10") and am trying to slowly move down to a better weight (did I just say weight?)... Anyway, I'm at 190 now and the testing does allows me to get an accurate reading twice a year and then I can use my scales % in between to gauge continued success.  My goal is to keep the muscle mass (or as much of it as I can) and slowly lose the fat... that requires a fair amount of food logging and workout calories burns to fine tune week to week... but so far it's worked well.  Knowing my actual muscle mass let's me calculate a much more accurate RBR, which is the basis of my whole diet.  Trying to lose at most 1 to 1.5 lbs of fat per week  is a bit of a challenge and the more accurate numbers I have to play with the better.....

Edited by Davisjl 2011-03-30 3:11 PM
2011-03-30 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3421907

Master
, California

That's why composition is better... 2 guys 6'2" can be 180 lbs and 200 lbs and have the same % fat... now that's not to say the extra muscle on one is better than the leaner lighter... but it shows how weight doesn't always match the frame....

That's my case for sure.  I'm 6'1 or 2 and I race at 150.  Maybe get up to 160 over the holidays.  I have broad shoulders and can put on upper-body muscle if I'm in the gym and/or swimming a ton.  But the time versus gain is terrible.

I'm a good cyclist / climber, so why not do what I enjoy?  I used to get comments about looking too thin.  But I've been at my equilibrium point for so long now that my friends and family either don't notice anymore or just don't say anything.  They know I'm healthy and they know I eat a lot.

Exactly!  I think maybe Thor Hushovd (6' 180lbs) is one of the few exceptions nowadays.  Like a guy said earlier, he's not getting paid for it, so not too much of his concern.  I'm 6'1" and wanna drop about 20(MAX) to get down to 200 and that's it.  I'm pretty much big boned.  I cut weight for a fight once to 185 and I looked "pathetic and sickly" at weigh-ins.

No knock for those that wanna erase every possible pound to reach their unltimate race weight, it's just not for me.  Some people just have different goals and objectives.

For me it's not goal based.  It's just where my body is comfortable.  I'm fortunate to have the body and metabolism that already suits me.  But let me tell you if I tried to get up to a strong 200 (not fat) it would be every bit as difficult as you getting to my weight.  I think it takes long-term effort and discipline to change our bodies after we're done growing.

2011-03-30 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3422096

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
Brightbow - 2011-03-30 4:05 PM

This is my problem: I just want to participate in endurance sports AND look like Jamie Eason.

If I could do that then I don't care how fast I am anymore. Wink

I 100% agree... well maybe not me looking like Jamie Eason, that wouldn't be good... but you get the idea

2011-03-30 3:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD

The thing I like about being overweight is that I get to pass the 140lb guys while coasting downhill while theyre pedaling away.

Then again, a beer belly sucks to have when youre trying to stay on the aero bars.

2011-03-30 3:19 PM

Elite
Laguna Beach

One thing about our cultural or national attitudes toward weight loss I've noticed is that we are a nation of overeaters and of overweight people- No offense to us as I include myself.

In every instance when I have lived in another country outside the U.S. I have lost weight. Even Europe (Germany in the military, Belgium as a cyclist). In the Middle East and Africa it is unusual to see anyone other than men over 40 who are over weight. There are no overweight children. Of course, infant mortality rates and even average lifespans are lower. The average lifespan in Somalia is only 47 for a male- so we aren't talking about a health concious lifestyle.

We don't eat well here. Our food choices aren't good, but they are fast. I ate less in Asia, the Middle East and Europe but I ate better and lost weight. I also exercised more consistently there because I had no choice. It was part of my job.

For me a lot of it is lifestyle.

2011-03-30 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3421763

Pro
Houston
lamb_y2003 - 2011-03-30 12:36 PM

I find this issue so fascinating as it relates to triathlon.  I'm tall (5'9") and have a lean but muscular build.  In a room full of people I look tall, slim & in good shape but, like you Tom, that doesn't relate to triathlon very well.  I came across an online 'ideal race weight' calculator and it told me I needed to lose 41 pounds.  FORTY ONE!  That would be put me at a lower weight than I was in junior high school by over 10 pounds.  As in, before I hit puberty nevermind the 2 babies and age thing.  LOL!

My viewpoint is that yes, I could & probably should lose some weight especially since I have bad knees and struggle on the run.  And I'm sure once my training ramps up, my weight will go down.  I do make an effort to eat well but I also have yummy food and a glass or three of wine sometimes.  For *me* that's as important as training well and enjoying triathlon.  It's all about the parts that make the whole of my life and both eating and exercising, including triathlon, are part of that.  I won't entirely sacrifice one for the other even if it makes me run like the wind.  I'm a Libra, I need balance.  

I like this post and I think you and I are likely built very similiar. I am also 5'9" and weigh in the 150s. It is possible to be the best triathlete I can be I should weigh closer to 130 but that is not what I want in life. Triathlon is a sport and a hobby for me, not my job, not my life and no where near the most important thing on my list at any given moment.

I have been 127 pounds and 13% body fat. I looked like hell and was miserable. I had people asking me if I was ill and should they be praying for me.

I also have a hard time believing that lighter = faster for everyone. I recently lost a couple of pounds but at 159 I was running faster than I was at 150. I am sure part of that is base, technique etc. but it is also the truth.

Moving my body from the 150s to the 140s or the 130s would equate to a part time job I don't have time for. It would mean focussing on calories, carbs, fat % etc. I have 5 kids and homeschool. Focussing on every morsel that goes in my mouth is not a priority. We eat at the table at home just about every night. I eat a good breakfast, a good lunch (most fo the time), don't eat out too much, drink lots of water and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I think that is good enough.

My body has showed me it likes being this size. I am happy, healthy and like the way I look. I spent years looking at the scale and having someone else look at the scale over my shoulder. I will not even have a scale in my house now. Life is too short.

2011-03-30 3:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

IMO I think most of us that could lose some weight would like to stay in denial by focusing on "tri gadgets" instead of good ole weight loss. For most of us, the biggest ROI will be cutting a few lbs (or more for me) instead of getting an aero helmet. I know that my times would improve greatly if I cut some weight.

I disagree. There's a proven relationship between gadgets and weight loss. As gadgets increase, weight, primarily in the wallet area, decreases. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Our Biggest Single Limiter: Our Weight. Rss Feed  

of 8