Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dog question for Yanti (or other dog people) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-04 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Dog question for Yanti (or other dog people)

We started with a Cocker Spaniel (Cody) about 8 years ago. He was severely abused wouldn't speak, got him a little sister Noiree, once we got her to speak for her supper Cody began to.

Fast forward 10 years, Cody passed away from cancer, so we got Noiree a little sister (Cassie) she wouldn't speak at first either but after a while began to very loudly. Now lately when I tell her to speak Noiree does, but Cassie sits and shakes.

She gets lots of attention has only gotten a swat on the bottom twice and spoken to harshly maybe twice. She  is allowed to sleep on the bed and on the couch, comes to me to get attention, goes nuts when i come home throwing herself at me (Literally from across the room) She comes to me for cuddling or for no reason at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2011-04-04 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3428269

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Dog question for Yanti (or other dog people)

howdy, mr. huggable

not sure what the problem is. Is it that both dogs used to bark on command and then you'd give them their food? and now, for a while -how long?- when you say, "Speak," Noiree does, but Cassie just sits and QUIVERS? does she seem afraid?

2011-04-04 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3428381

User image

Master
TriAya - 2011-04-04 9:32 AM

howdy, mr. huggable

not sure what the problem is. Is it that both dogs used to bark on command and then you'd give them their food? and now, for a while -how long?- when you say, "Speak," Noiree does, but Cassie just sits and QUIVERS? does she seem afraid?

At first Cassie didn't speak, but then for over a year she would speak even before I gave the command. Now she will speak once in a while (1-2 days out of 7) but usually she just sits and quivers like she is afraid.

Everything else she does does fine. she will fetch on command, sometimes she even gets the ball and drops it in our laps to throw for her. she will push Noiree out of the way to get attention.

She never shows any fear at all. I can pick her up and cradle her like a baby and she just either lays back totally relaxed or slobbers all over my face.

I have been working a lot of hours latley and she looks very sad when i leave the house, but like I said when i come home she literally throws herself at me.

She does speak more for my wife than for me, maybe three days out of seven. 

2011-04-04 1:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-04 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3428474

Expert
Portland
verga - 2011-04-04 9:10 AM
TriAya - 2011-04-04 9:32 AM

howdy, mr. huggable

At first Cassie didn't speak, but then for over a year she would speak even before I gave the command. Now she will speak once in a while (1-2 days out of 7) but usually she just sits and quivers like she is afraid.

Everything else she does does fine. she will fetch on command, sometimes she even gets the ball and drops it in our laps to throw for her. she will push Noiree out of the way to get attention.

She never shows any fear at all. I can pick her up and cradle her like a baby and she just either lays back totally relaxed or slobbers all over my face.

I have been working a lot of hours latley and she looks very sad when i leave the house, but like I said when i come home she literally throws herself at me.

She does speak more for my wife than for me, maybe three days out of seven. 

Our dog, Nadie, was EXTREMELY sensitive when we first got her (still is, but we've worked through a lot of it).  She used to be a sled dog and was not used to getting special 1 on 1 attention.  One thing that was particulairly difficult was teaching her tricks, because if we tried to force her into anything, she'd shut down and just start shaking.  So my wife and I have done MANY things to help her build confidence in herself.

1. Exercised her a LOT.  A tired (both mentally and physically) dog will listen better (dogs, no matter the size should get at LEAST a 45 min. walk EVERY day), won't question authority.

2. Be stern and self confident.  I don't mean yelling, or demeaning, the dog is looking for a leader (pack leader).  Side note:  Nadie is petrified of loud bangs, when she hears them now (2 years after we got her) she will look to my wife and I to see how we reacted and will react in a, fairly, similar manner.

3. She needs to understand that when we give a command, she listens.

If she begins to shake dont try to pet her to "comfort" her, you are only supporting the bad behavior.  My favorite analogy is:

if you go and steal a candy bar, and I tell you, "great job!" what are you going to do?  Go steal more candy bars.  That is how the dogs mind works.

I can tell you LOVE your dog, which is a great thing.  Continue to work with Cassie and she will eventually get it.  Be patient and praise the behavior you want.  Also, it may help to separate her from Noiree, as she may feel submissive to Noiree.  Work with her in short stints, like 2-3 min. and then go do something else for an hour or so.

2011-04-04 1:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-04-04 6:37 PM

Master
Midlothian, VA

You have a dog that wont bark and this is a problem?!?

If my kids didn't talk I'd be concerned, but a silent dog sounds like quite a find! Maybe you should set up a breeding program.

2011-04-04 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3429053

Melon Presser

DrLeah - 2011-04-05 3:01 AM Maybe I'm missing the point, but why is this important?  Maybe she just doesn't have anything to say & is letting her sister speak for her??

^^^ Listen to the vet

It doesn't sound like Cassie is *really* afraid (otherwise she'd try to cower behind you, wouldn't eat ... )

Dogs, like people, generally do what gets them the most ... and dogs, particularly, the most attention. Social status and interaction can mean more than food, and if she's so enthusiastic about you she just about tackle-hugs-slobbers you when you get home, this is likely true for her.

She seems to have done in this case what is getting her the most concern/attention, and it looks like it sure worked!

I bet if you COMPLETELY IGNORE the behavior ... don't react AT ALL, just give the dogs their food and go away ... I bet the shaking goes away, too.

I don't know, you haven't said very much about it, but considering nothing else is wrong, I'd put my money on that ...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dog question for Yanti (or other dog people) Rss Feed